ES Twilight II Pier Extension

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kt4hx

kt4hx

Mariner 2

• Loc: Fredericksburg, Va

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Wondering if anyone has the Twilight II with pier extension? I just got the extension this evening, but of course, no instructions were in the box. If it is intuitive to install, I sure haven't found a way yet. Appreciate any advice anyone might have for getting this thing installed. Pictures would be worth a thousand words, as they say. Purchased from Highpoint Scientific and they are going to have ES email me some instructions, but not sure when that might happen.

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Alan:

What specifically has you confused? It seems to install the same as the Orion and Vixen "pier" extensions which I have used with a Twilight II head.

#3 kt4hx

kt4hx

Mariner 2

• Loc: Fredericksburg, Va

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Jim. Problem was, I didn't assemble the Twilight. It was a floor model and the head came to me already assembled, so didn't have the benefit of having assembled it once. Anyway, I subsequently found instructions on the OPT site, so that problem was taken care. However, when I tried to dis-assemble the head in order to install the extension, I found that whomever assembled the head at HPS had overtightened the 4mm hex screws to the point of stripping out the heads. Even with a screw extractor, I was unable to get the screws out because they had been torqued so much. I suspect that the person used a drill rather than the arm-strong method. So I contacted them again requesting assistance, and they have forwarded my emails on to Explore Scientific. Since HPS were the ones who assembled the head, then I feel someone should make this good, even if it means supplying me with a new Twilight head. So, I am waiting now to see what ES says about all this.

#4 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

• Loc: Sun City West, Arizona

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Don't want to take this thread off course, but I have a question; can the Twilight II mount be bolted directly onto a SVP/SV AZ tripod, as easily as it apparently connects to the Orion pier extensions??? I have several of these tripods (and even a Meade field tripod & an Atlas tripod) available for use, and if I can bolt a TII to them, I'd be leaning toward buying one of these mounts...

#5 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Ah, I see where it got confusing. The Orion and Vixen were a little simpler install.

http://www.optcorp.c...ht II Mount.pdf

Sorry about the frozen Hex screws, maybe a little Liquid Wrench will free them up. Hopefully one of the vendors will come through. Good luck.

#6 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

can the Twilight II mount be bolted directly onto a SVP/SV AZ tripod, as easily as it apparently connects to the Orion pier extensions???

Jan: The Twilight II head should just drop in as the bottom has the 10mm threaded hole and azimuth post notch for equatorial tripod bases as well as the 2-5/16" x 3/8" protrusion or tenon that sits in the tripod base hole.

Attached Files

#7 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

• Loc: Sun City West, Arizona

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thanks!!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics