CG5 Lost It's Mind!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Yes I know it really does not have a mind but...

Here is the situation. I have reacquired my CG5 from an observatory I used to own. It just sat there for about 2ish years. I live in Manhattan now and have been trying to do some simulated alignments with it, using sky safari to check locations, to reacquaint myself with the procedures before taking it out to a dark site.

So I have the correct time and location etc. entered but when it chooses it's first alignment star, Vega, it is going east not west.

I have checked to make sure I am oriented for the Northern Hemisphere etc. but this is not helping.

Advice?

Thanks

Al

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Recommend you do a full reset on it. Re-enter your data and make sure you didn't fat finger something like a wrong time zone. It's almost always a user-error problem.

#3 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Are you doing this indoors? Sure of your directions?

-Rich

#4 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Guys,

Yes I will recheck everything. There must be something I am missing. I have the GPS but have it turned off.

The mount seems to otherwise be in fine condition so I will just keep working at it.

The good news is that when I have it worked out I will be very familiar with the software and start up procedure.

Al

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

My CG-5s have done this from time to time for seemingly no reason at all and is fixed by a 'Factory settings' procedure.

Stan

#6 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

As in you sent it back to the factory?

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Al,

"Factory Settings" is a firmware reset capability function under the Utilities/Scope setup menu. When you do this you will remove all user input data (time/date/location/dst), filter limits, and backlash settings. It's unfortunately a fairly common occurrence that hand controller ends up with bad data in some of the locations used to store this user data. It can often lead to strange mount behaviour until it's removed.

What firmware level is your hand controller?
What power source are you using?

#8 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

I am using the transformer that came with the mount. No extension cord.

HC:GEM 4.13
MC: 5.07 5.07

#9 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Mark,

Using the "Factory Settings" reset seems to have taken care of my problem. Thanks for the tip.

Al

#10 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

You're welcome...

Stan

#11 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Sorry Stan. I thought Mark's explanation of what factory settings is was you adding further explanation.

My bad.

Thanks you both.

Al

#12 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

You should do 3 things when you first get your mount...

1) Read the manual.
2) Read the manual.
3) Read the manual.

Stan

#13 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Yes Stan, your right.

And I have several times.

And I did again as I tried to work through the problem. When I hit an impasse I reached out to this forum and was rewarded with great information from both you and Mark.

If my thanking Mark in my first thank you hurt your feelings than let me apologize again.

If you feel that people like me are not worthy of your knowledge than please just pass me by.

Al

#14 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

AL,

You didn't hurt my feelings...Well maybe just a little. I have had my CG-5s for over 6 years now and I still go back to the manual and see things I didn't see before. Also, I'll read something in the manual that doesn't make any sense at all and go back and read it at a later time and it make perfect sense. Helping people get through the learning curve is what this site is all about. We have all been where you are and someday you will be helping someone with the knowledge you have gained. Fact is you probably already are. :)

Stan

#15 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

Al,

The manual for your scope is the original ASGT manual (and may have come with the mount) which would cover the hardware of the mount and v3 hand controllers but you'll also want the v4 Hand Controller Addendum which covers the functionality of the hand controller (most of what you want).

Have a look at www.nexstarsite.com for more info on the mount, manuals, and firmware.

#16 bobmarleyou812

bobmarleyou812

Messenger

• Loc: CA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

I am using the transformer that came with the mount. No extension cord.

What issues would an extension cord cause? What about a portable power source with a cigarette lighter instead of the plug provided by Celestron?

#17 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

For a power source you want either a regulated AC - 12v with at least 2-3amp power supply or a battery with sufficient capacity to handle your expected observing times plus another 50% or so (so at least 5-7amp/hour and preferably a bit more).

The Celestron DC power cable (cigarette lighter style plug on one end and a 2.1 x 5.5mm plug on the other) that often comes with a mount/scope is notoriously problematic. It's undersized and too long. Sure it works for many folks but it also causes strange problems with the mount (poor power leads to unexpected slews, inability to slew correctly to the alignment stars, sudden goto accuracy problems, etc.). Lots of folks have great results with the shorter DC power cable from Radio Shack (lots of links in this and other forums on here).

You generally don't want to use any sort of DC extension cable if at all possible (more connections are always an issue vs. less connections). If you find that you absolutely must extend the DC power connection at least tape the connections so they can't be pulled apart and to keep dew out.

AC extension cables are usually fine since we're not putting any sort of appreciable load on the 110v AC circuit. Broken, cracked, or generally abused extension cables are always a problem especially since we tend to use our scopes in conditions that promote serious dewing, and moisture and 110v power are a bad combination.

Oh and the power switch on CG-5 mounts is also notoriously flaky over time. It's often a good idea to simply leave the power switch on and to use your power cable or power source to control the power to the mount.

#18 gene williams

gene williams

Sputnik

• Loc: Western Missouri

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I heard the same thing Mclewis about the Celestron on DC power. One of our club members recommended that I always use the AC adapter even if it meant buying an inverter to convert DC to AC. I thought it sounded a bit crazy but that is what I ended up doing with my CPC 800.

My first CPC 800 had to be returned when I plugged it directly into my battery pack, and it gave me an error. That is when a fellow club member said I had messed up the firmware on the controller. Anyway, I returned the telescope and received a replacement and never had a problem even though I always used the AC adapter.

#19 dr.who

dr.who

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

My CG-5s have done this from time to time for seemingly no reason at all and is fixed by a 'Factory settings' procedure.

Stan

For what it's worth mine does too and the reset fixes it.

#20 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Surprised to find this post being added to but let me repeat; using the factory settings feature completely restored the functionality of this mount.

I simulated alinement indoors at least 10 times since, checking general direction with Starry Night on a lap top, and there is nothing wrong now at all.

The mount did sit for nearly two years in an observatory without being used so I cannot complain about it having a hick up after all that time. I really don't think my issue was a power issue.

Once again, thanks to the people on this forum who have more experience than I and shared their knowledge with me.

Al

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics