12 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hi Folks,

I've been away from Cloudy Nights for a while, mainly because my personal life has been very busy and there have been too many distractions for me to fully participate online in all the venues I frequent. I have had to limit my time to those places that are critical to my livelihood of selling meteorites and other stuff like amber and minerals. Facebook, Twitter, and a few other sites have monopolized what time I do have to spend online. And truth be told, I did have a falling out of sorts with the powers that be here on CN. So the two factors combined and that resulted in a long-term hiatus from CN. Also, my participation in amateur astronomy, stargazing, and gearhead-ism has dwindled to almost zero and that played a role in my absence here as well.

So, just in case anyone was curious about why I was gone, there you have it. :)

Meteorites still dominate my time and this Space Rocks forum is populated by some very good and knowledgeable people, and I found it impossible to stay away completely. I've still been lurking around here from time to time, peeking in on the discussions and keeping up with things. And lately I have found myself missing some of you guys and gals, so I decided to make an effort to spend a little more time here and become more active again.

So I hope to contribute some useful things into the discussions here and perhaps rebuild a couple of the bridges I burned when I left. I've been a member here since 2005 and Cloudy Nights played an integral role in my enjoyment of amateur astronomy and it also was responsible (in part) for my discovery of meteorites. So CN will always be a "Hotel California" of sorts for me.

Ok, I'm outta here for now. I just wanted to drop in and post something and say Hello once again. :)

Best regards and clear dark skies,

MikeG

#2 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi Folks,

I've been away from Cloudy Nights for a while, mainly because my personal life has been very busy and there have been too many distractions for me to fully participate online in all the venues I frequent. I have had to limit my time to those places that are critical to my livelihood of selling meteorites and other stuff like amber and minerals. Facebook, Twitter, and a few other sites have monopolized what time I do have to spend online. And truth be told, I did have a falling out of sorts with the powers that be here on CN. So the two factors combined and that resulted in a long-term hiatus from CN. Also, my participation in amateur astronomy, stargazing, and gearhead-ism has dwindled to almost zero and that played a role in my absence here as well.

So, just in case anyone was curious about why I was gone, there you have it. :)

Meteorites still dominate my time and this Space Rocks forum is populated by some very good and knowledgeable people, and I found it impossible to stay away completely. I've still been lurking around here from time to time, peeking in on the discussions and keeping up with things. And lately I have found myself missing some of you guys and gals, so I decided to make an effort to spend a little more time here and become more active again.

So I hope to contribute some useful things into the discussions here and perhaps rebuild a couple of the bridges I burned when I left. I've been a member here since 2005 and Cloudy Nights played an integral role in my enjoyment of amateur astronomy and it also was responsible (in part) for my discovery of meteorites. So CN will always be a "Hotel California" of sorts for me.

Ok, I'm outta here for now. I just wanted to drop in and post something and say Hello once again. :)

Best regards and clear dark skies,

MikeG

Hi Mike,
Welcome back! Don't ever stay away that long again. Got it?

Davio R.

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Mike, glad to see you back on Space Rocks! The members frequenting this forum looks forward to having you share your expertise with us, again!

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Davio and Carol. :)

I genuinely missed you guys and gals. Especially Carol. Some of the other venues I frequent (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Met-List) could use a solid moderator like Carol. We see two extremes of moderation on the web, either no moderation at all (and a wild wild west atmosphere) or over-moderation that amounts to censorship. For the most part, CN gets it right and Carol is a perfect example. I'm not trying to kiss a$$, just telling it like it is. I've been all around this wide wide web, and few places get it right. We are lucky to have a venue like this to discuss with reason and decorum. :waytogo:

#5 rfinney

rfinney

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Mike:

I know the feeling - I checked in almost six years ago (has it really been that long?) and I'm still visiting these forums every few days!

- RF

#6 rfinney

rfinney

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

On another note - I felt like I was being pretty active when I broke through the 200 postings mark this year...

That was until I realized that you have posted almost 18,000 times and Carol has posted over 73,000 times (is that really possible?) - that number equals 1,216 hours of postings if she only takes a minute per post. WOW...

This really is the Hotel California.

- RF

#7 sealevel

sealevel

Apollo

• Loc: Florida

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Does that mean if I get to ~73,000 posts my Avatar (Na'vi) name will also become "Den Mama"?

Davio R.

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

Does that mean if I get to ~73,000 posts my Avatar (Na'vi) name will also become "Den Mama"?

Davio R.

Only if you are me. :grin: BTW; I've had the "Den Mama" for a very long while, having a good friend tag me with it; I loved it, & the rest is history.

Back to Space Rocks, it's realy good to have Mike back; as he's a wealth of information for us on this forum, and helped the forum get it's beginning! :bow:

#9 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hi Mike,

I am ashamed to say, since I see you on other forums I didn't notice that you were not posting here. Welcome back.

Peter

#10 Ira

Ira

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi Mike,
Welcome back.

/Ira

#11 darklighteditor

darklighteditor

Theatre King

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sparty Nation

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Good to see you back, Mike. Stay in touch.

#12 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I started feeling a bit nostalgic, so I looked back into the forum archive. The first Space Rocks forum posts are dated in late March of 2008. I think Dick Lipke was the post author. My first post came in early April of 2008 and I don't recall if I was a moderator during that time or not. Looking back, I did notice that many of the early members of this forum are still here and active. :)

Since 2008, we have seen the following meteorite falls :

Feb 11, 2012 - "Huangzhong/Xining" (unofficial) (L6 chondrite?) : China
Mar 01, 2012 - "Oslo" (unofficial) (ordinary chondrite?) : Norway (Hammer)
Apr 22, 2012 - Sutter's Mill (C - Carbonaceous) : California USA (Hammer)
May 03, 2012 - "Diplo" (unofficial) (ordinary chondrite?) : Pakistan
May 22, 2012 - "Katol" (unofficial) (achondrite) : India (Hammer)
Aug 22, 2012 - Battle Mountain (L6 chondrite) : Nevada USA

2011 -

Apr 30, 2011 - Soltmany (L6 chondrite) : Poland (Hammer)
Jul 11-12, 2011 - "Draveil/Essonne?" (unofficial) (H chondrite?) : France (Hammer)
Jul 17, 2011 - Thika (L6 chondrite) : Kenya (Hammer)
Jul 18, 2011 - Tissint (Tata) (Martian, Shergottite) : Morocco

2010 -

Jan 18, 2010 - Lorton (L6 chondrite) : Virginia USA (Hammer)
Feb 28, 2010 - Kosice (H5 chondrite) : Slovakia
Apr 13, 2010 - Mason Gully (H5 chondrite) : Australia
Apr 14, 2010 - Mifflin (L5 chondrite) : Wisconsin USA (Hammer)
May 01, 2010 - "Breja/Taouz" (unofficial) (LL6 chondrite?) : Morocco/Algeria
Jun 19, 2010 - Varre-Sai (L5 chondrite) : Brazil

2009 -

Jan 17, 2009 - Maribo (CM2 carbonaceous chondrite) : Denmark
Feb 15, 2009 - Ash Creek (L6 chondrite) : Texas USA (Hammer)
Mar 01, 2009 - "Cartersville" (unofficial) (ordinary chondrite) : Georgia USA (Hammer)
Apr 09, 2009 - Jesenice (L6 chondrite) : Slovenia
Jun 23, 2009 - Whetstone Mountains (H5 chondrite) : Arizona USA
Sep 25, 2009 - Grimsby (H5 chondrite) : Canada (Hammer)

2008 -

Jan 23, 2008 - Santa Lucia 2008 (L6 chondrite) : Argentina
Mar 03, 2008 - Kemer (L4 chondrite) : Turkey
Mar 23, 2008 - Daule (L5 chondrite) : Ecuador
Apr 06, 2008 - Berduc (L6 chondrite) : Argentina
Apr 12, 2008 - "Zunhua" (unofficial) (L4 chondrite?) : China (Hammer)
Jun 12, 2008 - Plescoi (L5-6 chondrite) : Romania
Sep 12, 2008 - Sulagiri (LL6 chondrite) : India
Oct 07, 2008 - Almahata Sitta (Ureilite) : Sudan
Nov 20, 2008 - Buzzard Coulee (H4 chondrite) : Canada
Dec 20, 2008 - Tamdakht (H5 chondrite) : Morocco

Can you believe we have seen that many new meteorite falls since this forum began in 2008? Right around the time Dick made that first post in late March, the Daule and Berduc meteorites fell. Berduc is tricky and there is not much on the market. Daule is not common either, but it's out there and can be acquired rather easily now.

More familiar names to collectors since that time are - Sulagiri, Almahata Sitta, Buzzard Coulee, Tamdakt, Ash Creek, Lorton, Mifflin, Tissint, Sutter's Mill, Katol, and the latest recovery - Battle Mountain.

It's crazy to think that this forum is "older" than those meteorites....in terms of terrestrial age. And, looking in mirror, I do look more weathered as time goes on. I think I am W4 and on my way to W5. ;)

Don't be S5! ....:rimshot:

#13 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

This is exactly why we missed you, posts like this, Mike! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics