ASGT and HC/MC Update Oddities

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Javier

Javier

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Ever since I upgraded my ASGT to HC Version 4.20.bin and motor control version 0520.cel I noticed that the slew to the first two alignment starts is way off (way outside the Telrad's 4 degree circle) and the slew to the first calibration star is also outside the Telrad's 4 degree circle. Once the first calibration star is centered the slew to the next set of calibration stars are almost centered. I don't recall the mount being so off target with the previous version of the HC and MC. Is it just me or is there perhaps an issue that is creeping up? I reset the hand controller to factory defaults, I'm in the correct time zone, city and state, daylight savings time and I also enter in the time in military time format.

Have any other ASGT owners run into this issue?

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Ever since I upgraded my ASGT to HC Version 4.20.bin and motor control version 0520.cel I noticed that the slew to the first two alignment starts is way off (way outside the Telrad's 4 degree circle) and the slew to the first calibration star is also outside the Telrad's 4 degree circle. Once the first calibration star is centered the slew to the next set of calibration stars are almost centered. I don't recall the mount being so off target with the previous version of the HC and MC. Is it just me or is there perhaps an issue that is creeping up? I reset the hand controller to factory defaults, I'm in the correct time zone, city and state, daylight savings time and I also enter in the time in military time format.

Have any other ASGT owners run into this issue?

My mount acted like that when first purchased, but after multiple times setting it up, it seemed to “learn” to not make that start-up error. When I recently upgraded the software, it went back to making the large errors. I’ve only used it twice so I’m hoping that it again “learns” to behave better!

#3 Javier

Javier

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hi George,

I had the mount out this evening and it behaved the same way. My alignment stars were Vega and Altair and the mount was way off again. The first calibration star was Caph and agin it was way off. But the rest of the three calibration stars were dead smack in the center. It doesn't seem as if there is anything wrong with the mount as my per-programed user objects were also right on I thinking it just takes a bit of TLC for it to build it's map.

#4 cclark

cclark

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

I noticed the same thing after updating my HC recently. I had not noticed any large misses on the first two alignment stars prior to the update. They were usually just out of the field of view of a 25mm eyepiece (50deg afov) on an 8" SCT. After the update I did notice the first two stars were very far off.

I did the usual factory reset, double check location, timezone, recalibrate after alignment, etc. (several times), but it was consistently off by the same amount for the first two stars. That got me thinking it may be related to the timezone. It looks like it is off by about an hour distance wise. My theory is that is a bug in the DST area of the code. What I did as a test was to us UST (universal standard time). This seemed to work. My initial stars are now very close (although I haven't measured - they were close enough it didn't bother me any more)

I do know in my company we had to update a bunch of software the last time the DST dates moved, so I thought it may be a reasonable explanation. I am going to wait until we change back to standard time and go back to my regular timezone settings and see if it still happens. If it does I'll just keep using UST/GMT. I downloaded a little iPhone app that helps quickly show me the current GMT time (and as a bonus it is designed for astro use with red numbers).

I wonder if a bug crept in this area of the code during the last release (or if it has been there all along and only surfaces during the times of DST and then goes away when we go back to standard time).

Chris

#5 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Same thing here. After trading in my v4 NexStar HC for the new NexStar +, the first time out after polar alignment with the polar scope, the CG-5 missed the first guide star, Vega by a lot. Second guide star was off, but not by quite as much. After two calibration stars were found almost right on, all the targets for the night were right on.

Looks like it might be a time glitch as Chris suggests. I'll try using UST next time out if the clouds ever clear.

#6 Javier

Javier

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

I reverted back to the orignal motor control and hand controller versions that my ASGT came with. I'll post the results once I get another clear evening.

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Just as a followup, I used the UST setting on my NexStar + when I set up last night and the CG-5 was almost dead on for the selected alignment stars. Make sure you change the Daylight Savings to Standard, too, if you use the UST setting.

#8 LeCarl

LeCarl

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

You may need to realign alignment mark on the remote control...
see in remote: Ra index calibration
follow procedure in manual, this realign index mark to right position, next time you start mount, alignment mark will be at right location for initial star alignment

(with polarscope aligment, my mounts spot near center of first star on the telescope (not finderscope!, so really precise, but you need to adjust it)

Flashing mount can/will reset value to zeros correction :foreheadslap:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics