22 replies to this topic

#1 Ronny

Ronny

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Perth Western Australia

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hi Guys,

Now that I am taking good photos thru my Starlight Xpress-MXV25c and tracking is good, polar alignment is good I am having massive issues with Vignetting or Sky glow issues. despite the light pollution filter I get this massive light Halo around the object and taking it out kills half the image.

I bought Warren Keller Image processing software but he thinks we are all scientists out thee and understand his language, spent 6 hours last night just going thru the tutorials and although they are quite good nothing happened from my end and unless I do a degree in photoshop I am struggling big time here.

I have bought the flat frame masks and having issues with them so is there a plug-in I can buy to help me with this issue that is killing my images. I don't care how expensive it is just want to move on with it.

see attached image of the Veil Nebulae but the heavy processing has almost killed it

Attached Files

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

You really should learn to do flat frames and use them as it is essential to get better images.
Some shortcuts are Gradient Xterminator for Photoshop and apparently PixInsight and its dynamic background extraction is a very powerful tool too (alas PI has a learning curve, I've been told).

#3 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Ronny,
StarTools apparently has the ability to deal with vignetting. Look here: StarTools. Haven't tried it yet but it does look interesting. And of course, flat frames do more than just help to remove vignetting.

#4 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Stanford, California

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

For me I have a new camera and am very concerned about flats. Finally I am getting there by just collecting many many under different conditions and choosing the ones that work the best... I have been through >12 sets but now it pretty much works. Had the same issue with DSLRs.

#5 Tapio

Tapio

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Jerry, I don't think your flat sets will work.
Flats also cure other problem than vignetting, namely dust motes and dust motes can move around between imaging sessions.

#6 Ronny

Ronny

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Checked star tools, looks great but the issue here as always is how do you get to use it, this is the problem. Not sure if they have video tutorials but I am managing fine with photoshop but all I want is a program to fix vignetting issue with a plugin but it seems I have to learn the hard way and play around with these programs until I get it right.

#7 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Have you tried Noel Carboni's Astronomy Tools?

http://www.prodigita...ll_Version.html

Taking flats will solve the problem and no vignetting tools needed.

Peter

#8 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Vignetting is a reduction of an image's brightness or saturation at the periphery compared to the image center. Wikipedia.

I am not that experienced, but if I look at my flats, this is what they seem to be corecting, the brighter center, in addition to the dust.

This vignetting problem is, I believe worse if you use a focal reducer.

If I am wrong, please correct my ignorance. That's why I am here. :)

#9 Tapio

Tapio

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Jerry, if your dust motes don't move between imaging sessions then you are really lucky ;)

#10 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Checked star tools, looks great but the issue here as always is how do you get to use it, this is the problem. Not sure if they have video tutorials but I am managing fine with photoshop but all I want is a program to fix vignetting issue with a plugin but it seems I have to learn the hard way and play around with these programs until I get it right.

Ok, I cropped the title text and converted to 16 bit tiff in Neb3, but here's one pass with the 'Wipe' module at default setting in StarTools.

I just started using StarTools and I've found it incredibly easy to learn. One read-through of the manual and just start flailing around trying stuff. There's a 'before and after' toggle and a cancel button that lets you try every feature without accumulating a lot of degrading changes in the image.

Attached Files

#11 Ronny

Ronny

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Mike,

I think you hit it right on the spot. going to buy Star Tools and hopefully it will not be too hard to use. really appreciate your help here. thank you

#12 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

No problemo Ronny. I'm pretty hopped up about StarTools. It seems to do complex processes with one click that some programs require 50 step tutorials and a college math degree to learn. It's also the first 'easy to learn' program I've found that may actually 'replace' Photoshop.

#13 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

Mike,

I think you hit it right on the spot. going to buy Star Tools and hopefully it will not be too hard to use. really appreciate your help here. thank you

Really, the best solution is to take flats. If you ever want to take good astrophotos, you're going to have to learn how to take and calibrate a flat. Barring that, just do it in Photoshop. You don't need a fancy plug-in.

Here's 1 method: http://www.covington...vignetting.html

Here's another: http://www.corius.ne...c/artiflat.html

Here's how I would do it:

1 - Duplicate your original image...I think it's under Image->Duplicate Image

2 - On the duplicated image do a MASSIVE gaussian blur on the entire image (Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur). Use something like 60 or 80 pixels of blur. You want to annihilate any detail in the image. Some stars will probably be impossible to eliminate their effect. See step 3.

3 - Using the healing brush, make it large enough to paint over any remaining details that are visible in the duplicated image. What you should have when you're done is an image that essentially just shows you the vignetting that's in the original frame.

4 - Go back to your original image and choose Image -> Apply Image. On the dialog box choose your duplicated image as the source image. Choose the blending mode as Subtract. Click Ok.

There's your vignetting plug in. A flat frame is easier and works better, but that'll do what you're asking.

Mike

#14 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

You don't need a fancy plug-in.

In case there's some confusion. StarTools is not a 'plug-in', it's a stand alone post processing program with some pretty impressive capabilities at the cost of a plug-in. Anybody reluctant to learn, or pay for, packages like Photoshop, Pixinsight, etc., should check it out.

#15 bill w

bill w

Voyager 1

• Loc: southern california

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

must use flats

#16 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

must use flats

Thank you. Together we are unanimous, so we must be right. :)

#17 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

It's not vignetting.

#18 David Rosenthal

David Rosenthal

Imager Extraordinaire

• Loc: NJ

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:22 AM

It's not vignetting.

You will never know for sure unless you shoot a set of flats. Or better yet, download the trial version of CCD Inspector and let it analyze your light cone. It looks to me to be tilted and off center, which would cause the vignetting pattern you are showing in the first image. Give it a try, it is free and you will learn a few things along the way :jump:

#19 vpcirc

vpcirc

Skylab

• *----
  • Loc: Merced CA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Ronny, I can understand your pain. I wish I could delete many of my early images, and I was totally lost with photoshop. I started with Warren's tutorials, and found them very helpful. It was a bit confusing at first because I didn't know one thing about photoshop. I got to the point of watching the tutorial, pausing it, doing the step myself, repeat.... I've had to do the same thing with Pixinsight. Maybe, I'm just a little dense. Warren does one on one's with your data, so I bought time with him to help me figure it all out. At $30 an hour, it's was a bargain to help me put the pieces together. This hobby has a steep learning curve, and if there's one lesson I've learned, is to save save save, as I have a tendency to way over process, and need to go back and figure out where I went wrong. I've also learned to walk away and not work to long on an image, as I become blind to obvious things. I've opened myself to criticism here many times by posting bad images in an effort to learn. I look for a lot of resources to learn from and own tutorials from Adam Block, Tony Hallas, and Warren. I personally love Warren's teaching methods and have bought every series since the first. I would also say I really struggled with Adam Block's CCD Stack until I went to his 3 day class and everything clicked.

#20 Ronny

Ronny

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Guys,

All your info is great and helpful. I have tried Star tools but yet it has still mot resolved the issue completely because it is damaging the image itself so Ivo has been kind enough to generate video tutorials to resolve vignetting and sky glow, Ivo is the creator of Star tools and so far for the $60 I have paid is going a far way. I am just waiting on the other Tutorial to help bring back the detail. Indeed the equipment I have and cameras are doing a great job but that is just half the effort. The processing is the only help I have to bring my images alive. I will try photoshop again but appreciate everyone's help

#21 bill w

bill w

Voyager 1

• Loc: southern california

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

ronny, can't say this strongly enough
just shoot flats (and darks or bias)
it's an elegant solution that is likely to completely eliminate this particular problem and save processing time for finer points.
although not ideal, you could even shoot flats after the fact, just to get a feel for what it will do for your image.
do it now so you don't have too many images that you look back on and say "oh, that was before i was taking flats"
Posted Image

#22 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors
  • Loc: WV, USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Ronny, I hope some of my private comments have been helpful. Image Processing is not an easy affair, but you have many friends here and in the larger community to help you along. Good to see you here!

#23 Ronny

Ronny

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Warren, really appreciate your comments which are in depth, I can't believe how challenging this hobby is. Now that I have the right gear and everything seems brilliant processing is the killer and although I bought so many programs to help it seems the end of the day flats will help but thy too are giving me headaches. Nebulous is giving me that pinnacle shape in the histogram and I can't figure out the exposure time . My colleague is using Maxim and he said it works out the exposure time. So am going to try maxim . Will keep you posted

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics