• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Tuugii

Tuugii

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

TxStars, thats what is feels like I agree with you. But those small bolts and screws could be just fine, check the attached picture, it shows the 16" sct ota on the fornax mount.

If you look close at the picture you will see that they used "Rings" on the 16"

oops I didn't notice it until you mention!

I have asked the guy from AP again, and he keeps saying the dovetail is just fine for direct attachment... but you guys keep reminding me that is necessary for stability...

#27 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

The massive casting of the back plate of the 16 is much beefier than any ring you can buy and put around the scope.

And the screws that hold on the fork brackets are the same size as the screws that go into the radius blocks.

And in fact, a dovetail bar supported by radius blocks on each end of the OTA is a more stable and rigid configuration than the fork brackets of the original design that only attach to the back end of the scope.

It is my opinion, as an owner of two LX200-16's and who works on four more LX200-16's for others, that rings have no advantage over the Astro-Physics beefy dovetail bars and beefy radius blocks. The Meade front ring and back plate of the 16's are way beefier than any after-market rings.

#28 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

If you use rings you can bolt them directly to the saddle, bypassing dovetail attachment mechanisms and any flex they introduce. Some people like that.

Regardless of which mounting path you take, it is a good idea to attach another dovetail bar on the top of the OTA (or rings) opposite the one on the bottom.

#29 EddWen

EddWen

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

My Mak, pictured above, came with a dove-tail plate to fit the regular Losmandy type saddle. I was not comfortable with that, so I removed the plate and drilled the mounting hole pattern for the A-P 1200 into the primary plate, and bolted it directly to the mount.

Note: the Mak has strong internal rings the radius blocks bolt to. The scope is a 16" fitted to a 20" tube. Plenty of room for the internal rings. A Matthias Wirth design.

#30 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Just a final note that not all LX200-16 scopes are created equal.

The LX200-16 Classic OTA requires a 26" dovetail bar to make it between the radius blocks.

Most LX200GPS-16 OTA's take a shorter dovetail bar.

#31 Tuugii

Tuugii

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Chris, with your note I have double checked everything and the scope in Mongolia is the classic LX200 OTA, so I think I will need the 26" dovetail bar.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics