67 replies to this topic

#1 daveCollins

daveCollins

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Washington DC

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I received this atlas the other day.
I’ve been waiting for it for a few months while it was on pre-order. It was just released last week. I also have the following atlases:
  • Atlas of the Moon (Rukl)
  • Lunar Orbiter Photographic Atlas (Byrne)
The new atlas is spectacular. It is a large book (13.5 x 10 inches), it has 69 regions, and is supported with 388 images. These images were all taken by the authors and so they are from the perspective of what you would see through an eyepiece if you had perfect seeing with a perfect scope. It is the quality of the images which makes this atlas the best lunar atlas I’ve ever seen. Note that it isn’t like Rukl’s atlas in that the entire lunar surface (near side) isn’t shown. But my other two atlases don't even come close to the quality of presentation of the new atlas for those areas that they have in common. By presentation I also mean annotation and layout.

The regions that are shown have multiple images of major features, where each image has different illumination, perspective, and/or scale. For example, the Apollo 11 landing site has 4 images which clearly show Sabine, Ritter, Aldrin, Collins, and Armstrong. From these images, you are left with a clear idea of how everything should appear before you go to your scope.

Another example is Montes Alpes. The atlas has 7 detailed images of this feature. The central rille is clearly shown in different lighting. Again, it helps if you are looking for this feature to have seen high quality imagery before going to your scope. You'll know basically what your target should look like through the scope.

Don't mean to come off as a salesman. I just wanted to pass along info on a great new resource.

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Cool. Thanks for sharing this. I just placed an order for a copy.

#3 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the review!!!, Dave!! Appreciate it!! Will be placing my order!!

#4 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

Are the images inverted (for newts) by any chance?

#5 waso29

waso29

Messenger

• Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Are you able to post a photo of a typical page from the book?
Tks,

#6 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

Are you able to post a photo of a typical page from the book?
Tks,

Ya I would like to see that too. Amazon doesnt have a "search inside the book" option for this book unfortunately.

#7 daveCollins

daveCollins

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Images are not reversed. These photographs are of a much inferior quality as compared to the book since I had to make them small enough to post here. So I made them tiny black and white photos. But you can get the general idea of how the book presents its info.

#8 daveCollins

daveCollins

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Picture one:

Attached Files

#9 daveCollins

daveCollins

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Picture Two:

Attached Files

#10 daveCollins

daveCollins

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Picture Three: Close-up of Picture Two

Attached Files

#11 daveCollins

daveCollins

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Picture Four: This is also a close-up of Picture Two. Of course this is a image of Rima Hadley, the Apollo 15 landing site. The book has 6 photos of this site and points out where the landing site actually was. Please note again that the quality of my photos are horrible compared to the book.

Attached Files

#12 daveCollins

daveCollins

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Preface

Attached Files

#13 daveCollins

daveCollins

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

These are the regions covered. The book also has a detailed chapter on the moon's geology and other details.

Attached Files

#14 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Oh,...THAT is one sweet book!! Thanks for posting, Dave!!! :waytogo:

#15 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Great moon photos and descriptions! Thank you very much for posting these pics, looks like a great book.

#16 deister

deister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Hello,

here is a link to the german edition. There are some sample pages from the book: Fotografischer Mondatlas.

http://www.oculum.de...8469-41-5&Dia=0

Clicking to a small page on the left side will show you the big one.

CS

#17 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

I just got mine and think it's really great! I hope this doesn't cause a major war, but much as I like and use Rukl, I believe I prefer a good photographic atlas.

Bill

#18 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Just ordered mine today from Amazon!! And now!....the wait!!!

#19 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

I can't tell by the table of contents; how much of the near side is actually represented? Is it fairly complete, or cherry-picked features like the Kaguya atlas? Is there enough continuity of coverage to actually be an "atlas"?
The Times Atlas of the Moon didn't cover the entire near side either, but the parts missed were *very* few. Is this one like that?

This looks like a very beautiful book. The price is certainly reasonable.

#20 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

I just got mine and think it's really great! I hope this doesn't cause a major war, but much as I like and use Rukl, I believe I prefer a good photographic atlas.

Bill

No worries. Most of us are bibliophiles and enjoy a good excuse to have an extra lunar atlas. No one book ever really covers it all. (Besides, lunar observers rarely indulge in pedantry. ;) )

#21 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Bill

No worries. Most of us are bibliophiles and enjoy a good excuse to have an extra lunar atlas. No one book ever really covers it all. (Besides, lunar observers rarely indulge in pedantry. ;) )

(Unlike deep sky observers?) :cool:

Bill

#22 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

I can't tell by the table of contents; how much of the near side is actually represented? Is it fairly complete, or cherry-picked features like the Kaguya atlas? Is there enough continuity of coverage to actually be an "atlas"?
The Times Atlas of the Moon didn't cover the entire near side either, but the parts missed were *very* few. Is this one like that?

This looks like a very beautiful book. The price is certainly reasonable.

I don't have it in front of me, but it seems pretty complete; nothing like the nifty but spotty Kaguya Atlas.

Good introductory material as well.

Bill

#23 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Bill

(Unlike deep sky observers?) :cool:

Bill

:cool:

#24 Mare Nectaris

Mare Nectaris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toijala, Finland

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Came on post today :jump:

The book is large (25,5 cm x 34,5 cm), so it is rather more suitable for use at indoors than by the telescope.

There are 191 pages and 388 photos. The quality of the photos is very good: fine resolution, unified greyscale, well balanced brightness and contrast to bring out features under different illumination yet maintaining the balance of grayscale. The processing of the photos is natural and smooth, the quality of the print is unified and good. The photos have been taken by Alan Chu (10” Newton), Mario Weigand (11” and 14” Schmidt-Cassegrain) and Wolfgang Paech (6” refractor and 14” Schmidt-Cassegrain). Single photos are also from Michael Theusner (the creator of AviStack) and Wolfgang Sorgenfrey.

The book covers 422 lunar features with an introductory text describing measures, visibility and selenological background.

The features are organized by waxing lunation. There are several photos from a single feature (illumination and also libration when relevant). There is an idex for the first 1-40 features in the beginning of the book, and an index for the features 41-68 at the back of the book. There are no mirror images in the book.

Total of 68 features are covered: Mare Smythii, Mare Crisium, Cleomedes, Endymion, Atlas / Hercules, Montes Taurus, Palus Somnii, Mare Fecunditatis, Langernus / Petavius, Mare Australe, Vlacq, Vallis Rheita, Mare Nectaris, Rupes Altai, Abulfeda, Theophilius, Sinus Asperitatis, Statio Tranquillitatis, Mare Tranquillitatis, Mare Serenitatis, Posidonius, Lacus Mortis, Aristoteles / Eudoxus, Montes Caucasus, Autolycus / Aristillus, Cassini, Montes Alpes, Plato, Montes Teneriffe, Archimedes, Montes Apenninus, Mare Vaporum, Rima Ariadaeus, Rima Hyginus, Sinus Medii, Hipparchus, Ptolemaus, Rupes Recta, Regiomontanus, Maurolycus, South Pole, Clavius, Tycho, Schiller, Palus Epidemiarum, Pitatus, Mare Nubium, Fra Mauro, Mare Cogitum, Mare Insularium, Copernicus, Eratosthenes, Mare Imbrium, Sinus Iridum, Gruithuisen, Mare Frigoris, North Pole, Aristarchus, Kepler, Seleucus, Reiner, Letronne / Hansteen, Gassendi, Mare Humorum, Schickard, Sirsalis, Grimaldi, Mare Orientale. As a bonus there is a NASA photo of the Far Side.

In the beginning of the book there is a 25-page section covering the birth and structure of the moon, selenological basics and types of features. This is based on updated and expanded text of Photographic Moon Book by Alan Chu.

This book is a great, quality resource!

Be well all!

#25 la200o

la200o

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Very fine review! I think it may become my favorite moon book.

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics