• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oskar Moilanen

Oskar Moilanen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

I was wondering if anyone in here has any experience sketching digitally e.g. a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1". I'm planning on using the tablet for displaying star charts, but figured it could maybe double its use this way. First drawing and perhaps some post-processing in Photoshop afterwards, applying finishing touches to what I saw. I think it sounds pretty cool.

Thoughts?

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hello Oskar,

I for one don't sketch digitally using a tablet PC but over the last few years a number of posts here have been done this way. You might consider going back over past sketches and through archives.

Frank :)

#3 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

I always wondered about sketching tablets. Wouldn't it be too bright and ruin dark adaptation while observing or are there options for changing it to night mode with red writing?

#4 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

I think it could work well for planets, not so much for sketching deep-sky objects, were even a dim red flashlight is a necessary evil...

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#5 Oskar Moilanen

Oskar Moilanen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

I will take some time to go through the archives to see if anyone has done it with results. As for the brightness, I thought about if it would work to tone screen brightness to a minimum, and then applying some red-toned film. Might be a while before I can get hold of one, but if it doesn't turn out to be good at least I'll have it for the charts.

#6 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

There have been a few that posted sketches using tablets. I've never seen a sketching tablet up close to have a good look at one. Peter Grego has a book out about "cyber" sketching. I've only seen solar system sketches of his with that medium. He uses a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) on the field. It has a backlit LCD screen. Again, I'm not sure if there's a way dim it or change settings for night mode. If you were to use red film, there's the possibility that the stylus might not work through it. Having said that, I put my iPad in a baggie when I use it in damp conditions and don't have a problem with the touchscreen.

Some of the benefits Peter says are ease of erasing mistakes, modifying the brush properties of the stylus, the ability to zoom in your sketch while adding finer details more exactly, and being able to save your sketch as a template or basis for future sketches. That latter bit was intriguing because it can be used for transits, terminator movement and shadow changes in the same area over the span of time, eclipses...and to re-visit deep sky objects if you were unable to complete your sketch for whatever reason.

The big drawback (other than not knowing about the brightness of the backlighting) is that you won't have an original hardcopy of your sketch.

#7 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

By the way, where are my manners? Welcome to CN!

#8 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

I've seen a few planetary and lunar drawings done this way, and personally I've not been convinced at all. It may have been drawing styles but the planetary features looked too stark and with to high a contrast, moreover the colours seemed way off. I guess everyone has their own preference though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics