• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

against the delivery forecast of TNT the telescope arrived today :-).
A first inspection was done already and some comments send to the manufacturer.

- packing was very good , but need to be changed , because its difficult to use the same packing for us again for repacking after testing everything

- weight of the scope is more then promissed , OTA weights at moment without rings 8.7 kg = 19.14 lbs and with rings and 3" Losmandy like dovetail 10.7 kg = 23.5 lbs. That is still ok, but we found some places where we can safe weight, the rings can be made more light weight, the front tube flange which holds the cell can be made a bit more lightweight. Also the tube and dew shield ismade from 2.5 mm thick alu, we hope they can go down to 1.5 mm or 2.0 mm , so we can come close to the forecast they made.

Backfocuse on the telescope behind 2" adapter when focuser is fully racked in was agreed on 180 mm, they did insteed 207 mm. We like to leave it this way, bigger backfocuse helps for binoviewers and also to use our Riccardi Apo Reducer/Flattener. However we request therefore a 2.5" screw extension 2 inch long

Overal fit and finish is superb, no improvement needet.

Coating: the objective have the best Multicoating I have seen from any chinese or taiwanese manufacturer , this one is at the level of famous US apo makers, wow, that was a big surprise that they could do what I wanted :-)

Colorcorrection of the optics: Our LZOS/Riccardi 6"F/8 doublet is diffrent designed then all other doublet apos. The LZOS is designed to be better at the blue end which is easy visible for human eye and worse at the red end where human eyes are less sensitive. So the LZOS/Riccardi show zero chromatical aberration In-focuse ( sharp image), such colorfree image you know only from high end FPL53 triplet apos in-focuse.

Our new Chinese FK61 doublet ED is designed like all other doublet apos, diffrent balansed. With a 4 mm eyepiece = 300 power I see nice clear white airydisc with a little blue-purple , like on any other doublet Apos, I know very many customers who report to see no such left chromatical aberration, so I talk here from a very sensitive and ritical point of view. The colorcorrection I see right now at day time is far better then i expected from the design.

Today w ehave sunny clear sky, so i will take the scope home and test it tonight on stars, deep sky andjupiter and report about my views tomorrow.

Weather Forecast is good, so my company imager will take the scope home tomorrow for doing some test shoots , which we will publish here in some days.

After that I pack it and ship it to Mr. Rohr, that he can test it interferometrical , so we know how it compares to other ED doublets.

Delivery:
APM 152 mm f/1200 mm ED doublet Apo ( FK61 + Lanthanium element) fully multicoated. Delivery including 2.5" rotation focuser with fine focuse, adapter APM 2"/1.25" Deluxe, set of Tube rings with transporting handle, 3" Losmandy Like dovetail, 50 mm finder, Transporting case

Option: Interferometrical Testreport for little extra money.

Our Price for US Buyers include door to door delivery and insurance US $ 3,990.-

first real pictuzres:
http://www.apm-teles...nt.html?coID=24
scrioll down to header: Apochromatical Refractors, 2-Lenses, opt. Tube:

http://www.apm-teles...ED OTA real.jpg
http://www.apm-teles...152 ED Logo.jpg
http://www.apm-teles... front lens.jpg
http://www.apm-teles...g cell side.jpg
http://www.apm-teles... box inside.jpg
http://www.apm-teles...de unpacked.jpg

Posted Image

#2 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

case

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Nice! Sharp looking scope there Markus! :waytogo:

That's interesting how the lens cell is done with 3 lobes. Are the collimation points behind the lobes or down in the open areas?

Clear skies,

#5 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

at arrival , packing as it came and me :-)

Posted Image

#6 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

• Loc: VA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

That is a nice looking project you have going, Markus! Best wishes to you and those who will be fortunate to get one.

#7 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Fantastic news, Markus :applause: Great to see samples coming through!

Question - is it supposed to say "APO" on the dewshield?

Thanks for sharing the news with us :waytogo:

Regards,

skybsd

#8 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

That is one beautiful scope Markus. Congratulations on producing such a marvelous scope for a great price. I just may have to buy one of those.

Nice work. :waytogo:

#9 Traveler

Traveler

Apollo

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

There it is! Great pictures Markus.

#10 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hi skybsd

its the new way to write APO with modern letters, yes :-)

#11 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

thanks for the kind words.

I believe we have here a record here. First discussions we have had in april this year , thats 6 month from that date till delivery of first production sample, wow

#12 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Joe Bergeron is going to have a kitten... "It's apo"! :lol:
Nice looking scope Markus, the Volkswagon apo! When do you expect to get any in quantity to fill orders? Any designs for a 7"? ;)

#13 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

I believe the first run should arrive around January or february 2013. If they are quicker , like chriostmas time, well, then it would be a nice positive surprise.

After the sales started and I get overal positive feedback, then we start with the next version and will discuss that in detail again, before we fully start

#14 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Markus,

That is great news! :jump:

I was leaning toward the LZOS/Riccardi, but this one looks beautiful. You have every reason to be proud.

Please let us know how the testing goes.

BTW - my Leica zoom arrived in perfect condition. Thanks!

Ron

#15 Ambiorix

Ambiorix

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Looks good, and as far as I can see no shopdust on the lens this time....good evolution :jump:

#16 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

told you before, shop dust cost extra money and we do it only for special customers :-)

#17 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

First Starlight.

Its 10.30 pm in Germany, Jupiter started to raise, will watch it later.

So far I did a bit startesting , double stars and looking for chromatical aberration.

chromaticle aberration: coming from infocuse to focuse, you see the typical deep blue fringe, which gets fully absent in-focuse. The highest power for this test was a Ethos 3.7 mm = 325 power, twice the aperature, normaly called maximum usefull power. Vega is infocuse colorfree

coming from outside of focuse to in-focuse, you see the typical light green fringe, which getting absent excactly in focuse.

I have no LZOS 152 doublet by hand to do side by side, but infocuse colorcorrection looks pretty same colorfree.

you can rate the colorcorrection from my memory at least as good as the chinese made 127 mm F7.5 triplet ED, thats maybe because of the mating glas which is lanthanium. Mr. Rohr should be able to compare that better with printed numbers, but my human eye is happy to see infocuse no colorhalo.

Deep Sky:
- Dumbbell nebulae looks nice and contrasty
- M13 shows nice resolving
- M57, Ring Nebulae show nice contrast
- NGC 869 & NGC 884: A Double Open Cluster show refractor like diamonds
- Epsilon Lyrae show nice clean splittet double with faint diffraction ring at 325 power
- epsilon-lyrae, double star show clean and easy splitting

Jupiter comes later.

Startest looks ok, not perfect as in LZOS , but good like other accepted chinese doublets.Maybe later in the night the seeing gets better than it is now to get a more critical opinion

overal impression of the chromatical correction is better then I hoped for, from the optical design.

#18 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Its now 15 minutes past midnight, clouds rolling in, seeing is lousy, so I have to give up.

Last view in Jupiter with Leica Zoom at 135 looks perfect white , no yellowish casting or whatever. With 4.7 mm ethos , I can see at low jupiter the atmosphäric dispersion , but still white jupiter disc with all belts and stuff, but not worth to continue now

Maybe tomorrow morning , will see

good night

#19 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Meh. Best dang glass in the world or the finest mirror and seeing still rules. :shakecane: Perhaps Tucson will provide you with better seeing.

#20 Jeff B

Jeff B

Vanguard

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Its now 15 minutes past midnight, clouds rolling in, seeing is lousy, so I have to give up.

Last view in Jupiter with Leica Zoom at 135 looks perfect white , no yellowish casting or whatever. With 4.7 mm ethos , I can see at low jupiter the atmosphäric dispersion , but still white jupiter disc with all belts and stuff, but not worth to continue now

Maybe tomorrow morning , will see

good night

I'm smiling Markus. You remind me of an excited kid with a new toy.

Jeff

#21 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Meh.

Ron, what is meh?

#22 IDONTSEEIT

IDONTSEEIT

Viking 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Self-explanatory, just repeat it a few times :grin:

#23 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Expression of resignation; more or less, with a dose of frustration, as well as signaling the issue is just a small irratation in the grand scheme of things. Varies a bit with use and the company you keep. :)

On the other hand, I'm keen on seeing this big gun in person. :jump:

#24 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Exceptionally nice, in the flesh, Markus.

Much, much nicer than the CAD drawings suggested.

I think you'll do well with them.

Regards,

Jim

#25 APM M.Ludes

APM M.Ludes

Vendor (APM Telescopes)

• Restricted Vendors

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

thanks for the kind words

more news:
it was raining all day long, so we packed the scope to ship it now to Mr. Rohr.

The manufacturer replied to my weight issues.
The tube wall thickness is not 2.5 mm as we measured, its 2 mm only plus paint which adds up to 2.5 mm.
They could try to mashine tubes to 1.5 mm, but the are worried about flexibility, so I commit to them to keep the 2 mm

the backfocuse we measured he with 207 mm is due installed 2.5" Starlight focuse,r the original focuser is a bit longer and has the agreed 180 mm backfocuse

they will check and do a bit weight reduction on tube rings and cell holiding ring, sO I get we may nail it down with rings and dovetail to roundabout 10 kg, which is more then original thought, but really at the low end compare to any other 6" apo.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics