CG-5 Pier Adapter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 David81

David81

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

As I get closer to finishing my observatory, I'm trying to line up the final bits that I'll need to be up and running. One of those little bits is an adapter to mount my CG-5 to my new piers.

The piers will be pretty standard 10" metal pipe with flat plates at both ends. On top there will be a second plate attached to the pier by 3/4" threaded rod in the corners to allow for minor adjustments as needed. To this, I'll need to attach my CG-5 (for now) with some sort of adapter.

I ran across Ken Dauzat's website and emailed him about his adapter, but he has apparently closed up shop. In lieu of that option, I may just have a local machine shop work something up for me.

To do that, I'd need the proper dimensions of the base. I'm not sure I have the proper tools to do an accurate job of measuring it myself, so I'm wondering if someone out there has this info available. I'll probably mock something up in CAD for the machine shop once I have the proper measurements.

Thanks in advance,

David

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I made mine out of wood... works just fine for a bottom plate. If you had a decent drill press, I imagine a metal plate would work just fine.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Have a look at Dan's pier plates ... http://www.pierplate...ducts_3560.html

A bit expensive but very nice design and finish.

Remember that you have to have access to the bottom of the adapter for the center bolt.

#4 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

When I wanted to attach my CG5 to a pier I bought a metal ring through McMaster and sandwiched it between the pier plate and the mount.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You do need a hole on the center top of your pier plate to put a bolt through.

It worked very well for me.

Posted Image

Al

#5 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm liking that metal ring idea Al. What exactly does McMaster call that though? :)

Did you not add an indexing post for fine AZ adjustment?

#6 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

I found it on McMaster just by browsing. It was for something completely unrelated but it took, as I recall, less than an hour to find.

No I did not add an indexing post. The way my pier worked/works, the top plate rotates and then has four allen screws to set it. So I attached the mount with a bolt from below and then rotated it to north and set it. I was not imaging. Strictly a visual operation.

I would imagine you could tap the ring and insert the indexing post from your tripod.

The ring cost me about $20.00 I think.

Al

#7 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

You can just get the orion sky view pro pier extension. It will come with a bottom pier adapter that you can bolt through the center. $89.99. Normally you would take this bottom plate and screw it to the tripod, then the extension tube bolts to the plate, then a top adapter is bolted to the extension tube. The top adapter screws into the bottom of the CG5

I think the hole was 3/16 but i drilled it out to 1/2"

Tapped a hole in the top of the pier-tech.. viola.. pier adapter. I cut the extension tube to the height I wanted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

You can just get the orion sky view pro pier extension. It will come with a bottom pier adapter that you can bolt through the center.

That is very tempting. I actually just put up a wanted ad on the classified and "that other site" to see if anyone wants to offload one for me to cut up. That would easily allow me to raise the mount up a bit to avoid the 14" top plate of the pier blocking the counterweight shaft.

#9 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Here's the dimensions you'll need. This hub can be bolted down from the top with three 1/4-20 socket head screws or from the bottom with a 1/2-13 to keep the machining simpler.

Attached Files

#10 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: los angeles

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

I made mine out of wood... works just fine for a bottom plate. If you had a decent drill press, I imagine a metal plate would work just fine.

Same here, I used wood as well when I used to have my CG-5 in the obs.

#11 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

This pier plate is from Backyard Observatories. As you can see, I've got a Vixen GP2 mounted on it which is pretty similar to the CG5. The dual plate setup works great.

Patrick

Attached Files

#12 David81

David81

Mariner 2

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Wow. Thanks for all the info folks.

Right now I'm leaning towards a cut-down Orion pier extension with a flange welded to the bottom for mounting to the pier top plate. I'll probably price out an aluminum adapter ring from the local machinist, just for kicks as well.

Now if I could just get the welder's shop to call me back regarding that 7+ ft of 10" gas pipe I have sitting in my driveway ready to be cut up...

#13 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hmmm. Too bad you are in Ohio. I have a nice pier just sitting in storage.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics