Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

Oh man, I'm drooling already! :drool5:

#27 Lightbucket12

Lightbucket12

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bullhead City, AZ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

Years ago we eat at a place called the Oak Street Grill? Does anyone know if it is still in business?

thanks,

Bert

#28 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

Never heard of Oak Street, and I can't find a listing.

McMahon's has had health department issues recently in the news.

The claim jumper always has great food, but you need to program 3 hours for the meal- they will not move faster, even if you draw attention to the 4 year old child you brought who is great fot about an hour, tops, and tell them time is of the essence. I think they're trying to sell drinks. And I'm just deeply frustrated with them. If they could get the lead out, it would be a favorite place.

ToxMan, I hate to say it, but I've found deeply mediocre Mexican food in several places- and especially the biggest name one-El Charro. There's one within easy walking distance of my front door and we never go there after three visits at the urging of others with cold food, screwed up orders where my dinner didn't show up at all and I was being offered stiff drinks in preparation for driving my 8 months pragmatic wife, and just plain lousy food to top it off. So, I feel any place we suggest to guests from out of town has to be recently vetted. Your deep background may cause your eye to regard as "Obvious" places to go or not which aren't obvious at all to a visitor, so please be specific with good spots you know.

And go to the other thread to get your CN badge!

-Rich

#29 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

...And go to the other thread to get your CN badge!

-Rich

Got it.
I'm watching this thread, too... ;)

Thanks, Rich. :waytogo:

#30 Lightbucket12

Lightbucket12

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Sorry, right place but in the wrong town. The place in Tucson is the Old Pueblo Grille on N. Alvernon. Great place to eat but would probably not work for us as a group. :foreheadslap:

#31 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

Old Pueblo Grill is alive and well, and just a superb restaurant.

I'm thinking if we have ~15 people, OPG is an option.

-Rich

#32 bob71741

bob71741

Apollo

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

One item that I have not heard mentioned yet is that it is Homecoming weekend at the UA. Most of the activities have been scheduled and times selected except for Saturday's football game which depends on TV scheduling, so driving around/dining after the ASAE closes for the day may be a cluster depending on the time of the game; may want to look at places North and West of the convention center.

#33 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hmmm, I haven't really had anything obvious happen in the area of town I'm in associated with UoA homecoming. Then again, I have to confess to not really understanding the entire "Homecoming" concept. It was this thing the greeks got spun up about at GT.

I expect moving E-W on 22nd will still be pretty easy. Broadway would be difficult, but then again, it always is.

-Rich

#34 Lightbucket12

Lightbucket12

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Count me in for OPG if we have enough people. Great food in an old world atmosphere. We enjoyed the outdoor seating a few years ago. As I recall we had lunch there before going to Kitt Peak.

Bert

#35 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hi Rich

My wife is a local chef and the scoop is that McMahons got rid of the chef that caused the bad inspection. She worked elsewhere with the new chef and the new chef is very meticulous. They can accommodate large group with some pre-planning. I used them for our class reunion for homecoming. We had about 24 in our group.

Speaking of which, all the hotels and restaurants will be gearing up for homecoming weekend...the same dates!

El Charro is mediocre because they use too much cheese and they fry too many items. Zivaz tries to go for a more healthy fare. El Saquarito used to be real good. But, I don't know where Albert relocated recently.

On the way out toward TAAA dark sites on Houghton Road about a mile north of I-10 is Hot Rods. Classic cars, burgers, fries...like a 50's diner in a automotive restoration shop!

Paul

#36 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

ToxMan,

That definitely sounds better on McMahon's. Otherwise it's a "What the heck?" moment.

The main university area is what's going to be most affected by UoA goings on. Is Old Pueblo Grill far enough out to be safe? We could do something really wild and do the Gas Light Theater...though that doesn't really give folks a chance just to talk.

-Rich

#37 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Weather permitting, Old Pueblo Grille has a lovely and roomy dining patio. Getting a head count and calling a few days in advance will get the job done, if a large group wants to make it a destination.

Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse in Trail Dust Town on Tanque Verde Road can accommodate a large group, too. As always, wear your worst tie, guys. A server will gladly clip it from your chest.

#38 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

Indeed- Pinnacle Peak is huge, though it's kinda touristy.

We'll need to see how many names we have.

-Rich

#39 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Last time (several years ago) I was at PP (I can't remember if it was called that then), I got a pretty good steak IIRC. But I agree, a bit touristy.

#40 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

"Touristy" isn't necessarily bad. Depends on how many out of state ASAE attendees are joining us. Could be fun.
I remember PP fondly.

#41 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

If we have a simple choice between there and old pueblo grille, the grille wins by any aesthetic or culinary criteria. PP is fun- go ahead and talk, and yes, it will be a good steak. It could be funny if we can arrange to have matching ties the world would be better off without.

-Rich

#42 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

"Touristy" isn't necessarily bad. Depends on how many out of state ASAE attendees are joining us. Could be fun. I remember PP fondly.

Me too!

It could be funny if we can arrange to have matching ties the world would be better off without.

Aw man... I really didn't want to wear no stinkin' tie! :lol: But if we decide on PP, I guess it is sort of mandatory. :grin: It's been many years since I've been there, so not sure what they might do if you're not wearing one! Just jokin'. I've got a bunch of old Tobasco ties that could be candidates. Before I retired, I used to wear them to work. Became sort of a Skip trademark. :grin: I could bring several along.

#43 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

El Saquarito used to be real good. But, I don't know where Albert relocated recently.

1763 E. Prince Rd.

http://www.elsaguarito.com/

It's still very good food. My wife and I have been switching back and forth between them and Rosa's for some time, now.

#44 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Having a reservation at OPG will be a MUST given that it is homecoming night...the Doubletree Hotel nearly adjacent will be sold out and refers everyone who asks for a restaurant to the OPG...

Another place that is pretty good although nowhere near the TCC is Union Public House at River and Campbell...

#45 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Perhaps, but anything east of Alvernon is basically in, "Homecoming? What's that?" space. We just aren't visibly affected by UoA events.

-Rich

#46 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Something to consider, Cattletown Steakhouse, Drexel and Country Club, just south of I-10. It can accommodate a large crowd and is just off I-10 for those that plan to jump on the freeway after and drive down to TAAA CAC site for the star party on Saturday night.

Cattletown Steakhouse

#47 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Well, it's looking like our schedules will be clear for Saturday.

-Rich

#48 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

Rich,
That's a great list, but let me add three slightly more upscale, reasonably priced favorites:

1) Cafe Poca Cosa downtown. "Different" and delicious Mexican in an interesting atmosphere. Not too far from the convention center. Order the chef's choice and you won't be disappointed. A+ food.

2) North (at La Encantada.) More upscale "American fair" at the north end of Campbell Avenue (probably a 20 minute drive from downtown if you don't get snagged in homecoming traffic around the stadium.

3) Sushi Garden at Broadway and Country Club. Reasonably priced and "happening"...I've always had a good experience there. It's not far from downtown; though it could be super crowded with homecoming.

Finally, there are a lot of Mexican places around S. Tucson and the convention center and although most are mediocre at best, I still enjoy them. If you want authentic, S. Tucson, boarder style Mexican food and atmosphere, one of my favorites is Crossroads on S. 4th Ave.

John

(My current address says Oregon, but I still live in Tucson!)

#49 DavidOpticsmart

DavidOpticsmart

Vendor (Opticsmart.com)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

And, for the best Sonoran style hot dogs, BK's, either on South 12th Avenue or on North 1st Avenue. They are the bomb! Bacon wrapped dog, in bun filled with beans, sour cream, cheese, pico de gallo, and either red chili sauce or green tomatillo sauce. They have good Mexican food. But, the dogs are by far their big seller.

El Güero Canelo gets my vote. I'm a hot dog junkie and tried both places last year. BK was good, but El Güero on 12th Ave. was my favorite.

Then for desert, empanadas from La Estrella Bakery just up the street. My mouth's watering just thinking about them.

#50 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Alrighty David; I'm following you for lunch!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics