LXD-75 or CG-5?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Orionis91

Orionis91

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maryland USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

One plus on the CG5. I love mine. I mount a C8 SCT on it with no trouble and love the robustness of the mount. GOto's are dead on. and I love that.

Dave

#27 TileArt

TileArt

Sputnik

• Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Well I picked up a CG-5 from the classified here (Thanks Dan!) and it showed up last week. WOW! This thing is incredible. I haven't had the chance to drag it outside yet (clouds - of course!) but just set up in my garage it's worlds apart from the flimsy little Meade tripod system I've been using for the last ten years. :cool:

Never really been one to buy into all the bigger and better hype, I'm normally just happy staring into space, but this thing is gonna make a huge difference. Been bouncing around the idea of picking up a used c8 (for a couple of years :p ) and may just talk myself into it now.

I'd like to thank everyone here for the help! Greatly appreciated.

#28 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Well I picked up a CG-5 from the classified here (Thanks Dan!) and it showed up last week. WOW! This thing is incredible. I haven't had the chance to drag it outside yet (clouds - of course!) but just set up in my garage it's worlds apart from the flimsy little Meade tripod system I've been using for the last ten years. :cool:

Never really been one to buy into all the bigger and better hype, I'm normally just happy staring into space, but this thing is gonna make a huge difference. Been bouncing around the idea of picking up a used c8 (for a couple of years :p ) and may just talk myself into it now.

I'd like to thank everyone here for the help! Greatly appreciated.

What "flimsy little Meade tripod system" are you referring to? I have always found that the tripod on the LXD-75 to be more than adequate. :question:

Attached Files

#29 TileArt

TileArt

Sputnik

• Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Greju,

The one that came with my Meade DS-90 with which I've been staring into space for the last ten years. I'm absolutely certain the lxd-75 is more than adequate for anything I'd ever stack on it. I, however, did not have one of those - I had the flimsy little Meade tripod. :D

That comment was not intended as a derogatory remark toward Meade at all, I just happened to have one of the lesser mounts they've produced. Still love the scope - does that make me weird? :D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics