Magnificent Jupiter 12-10-2012

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

This morning, I was able to observe Jupiter between 01.00 and 01.45. With my scope still cooling down, the planetary surface was already exploding with detail. So I grabbed my sketchbook to record some of them. Then I saw the clouds rolling in already. Nevertheless here is my very rough quick sketch from memory supported with an occasional peek through the thickening clouds. Sorry guys, the notes are in Dutch. Anyway, 16" f/5 MW, TV BinoVue with 2x corrector and 19mm Celestron (Japan) Axiom 70 degrees AFOV eyepieces yielding 214x.

Attached Files

#2 Corky

Corky

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

FANTASTIC stuff.
Well done!
:waytogo:

#3 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Erik,

Looks like you picked up a lot of features in this great quick sketch of yours.
Oval BA, GRS, turbulence following the GRS, the STB and the SSTB. And down below in the NEB on the south border some dark bases. Too bad clouds came in since you were having great seeing.

Dean

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Thanks guys.

In all it's simplicity, this rudimentary sketch hints at what was seen at the eyepiece. I was surprised by the amount of detail after only a 1/2 hour of cooling down. Seeing at moments was fantastic with the details then seen rivaling those in the best pictures seen elsewhere on the planetary imaging forum.

I was very excited at the eyepieces and look forward to some clearer nights in the near future with even longer lasting better seeing :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics