Question on SCT storage

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Is is ok to store the celestron C11 standing on its end?
Corrector down with cap in place.

#2 Corky

Corky

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Certainly not.
Lubricating grease can drip down onto the corrector plate.
It is recommended to have the corrector plate pointing upwards at about 45 degrees.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Or just store the scope on its side in a good case, which is what I do. ;)

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Or just store the scope on its side in a good case, which is what I do. ;)

same here
edz

Attached Files

#5 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

same here....

#6 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

I usually store my telescopes in an enclosed back porch. Unfortunately, I also stored pool chemicals, such as chlorine and other corrosive materials, in the same porch with the telescopes. Save yourself the agony and DON'T DO IT! The close proximity of these highly corrosive chemicals will get to the metal surfaces of your telescopes, mounts and tripods...not to mention the electrical components of your telescopes. I moved the chemicals to the shed and have not had a problem since.

#7 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

easy way to get dust on the inside of the corrector over time.
I must admit I have done it with my C8 W/fork with no ill effect.

#8 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Corky have you ever heard of lubricating grease falling onto the corrector plate when stored like this or are you just speculating that it could happen? I would think it's not an issue.

#9 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

There have been several posts here in the past from people who have experienced just that problem, which can be a remove-the-corrector nightmare.

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Well, it ain't a nightmare to remove a corrector. Not if you're careful, put it back in the correct orientation, and replace any little shims you find in their original positions. One of my students accidentally dropped an eyepiece cap through the rear port. I had him time me. Just a smidge over three minutes to get the corrector off, cap removed, and corrector back on. ;)

I will say this: This grease dripping ain't nothing new. The C8s from the 90s would definitely do it. I do believe Synta is using a lighter variety of grease these days. But, as above, the prevenative is easy and so is the fix. In fact, I'd go so far as to say every SCT wielding amateur should know how to R&R the corrector... ;)

#11 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

I had stored my C9.25 CF tube nose down for over a 2 year period until 2 years ago and didn't have the dreaded grease dripping happen to me. But I can see the possibility is there. I guess I was lucky :)

#12 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

I've been storing the C8 from my U2k face down since I've owned it, and have yet to see any issues. That being said, maybe I got lucky! As always, YMMV..

#13 Ed Holland

Ed Holland

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA and Oxford, UK

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

You could arrange a way to stand it on it's other end :) ...not easy though.
Mine is kept on a closet shelf in a re-purposed sports bag (Goodwill is a great place). It is on its side, mostly by accident

#14 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

I keep mine in a soft case and the only reasonable way to store it is corrector down (configuration and space wise). It is not ideal but it is difficult to tell whether or not you will have a problem. I have seen SCTs where the grease has separated and run down the inside of the tube (and these were fairly new ones) and I have seen others where this was not a problem. I don't have enough information to predict when and where this will happen, but it is certainly more likely with higher temperatures. If it does happen to run down the baffle tube and drip onto the corrector, or worse yet the secondary, this will not be good. The reality is though, if you can't store it on the mount and you don't have room to store it horizontally, then storing it face down is the easiest and most convenient. Watch for any signs of grease separation and running though.

#15 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

You have to love those big Rubbermaid tubs as SCT cases. I keep my C8 in one, with loads of foam around it. That'll take any abuse I'm likely to subject it to.

#16 Rick Huber

Rick Huber

Mariner 2

• Loc: South of Cincy Ohio

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Found this - Looks like Celestron in the early days did not concern themselves with grease dripping on the corrector

Attached Files

#17 Super08

Super08

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Great White North

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

The problem with grease most likely did not become a problem until production was moved overseas.

#18 Ava

Ava

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

I've been thinking of this too. If I could store my EdgeHD the other way around, that is standing on its visual back so to speak (with padding and proper support of course), do you think that would that work? Or would I just trade grease running onto the corrector for grease running onto the field flattening lenses?

#19 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

I've been thinking of this too. If I could store my EdgeHD the other way around, that is standing on its visual back so to speak (with padding and proper support of course), do you think that would that work? Or would I just trade grease running onto the corrector for grease running onto the field flattening lenses?

There should not be any grease on the inside of the baffle tube to run down onto the optics.

#20 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

There should not be any grease on the inside of the baffle tube to run down onto the optics.

Well, I found grease on the primary of my C14 just a few weeks after I received it back from Celestron.

#21 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

The problem with grease most likely did not become a problem until production was moved overseas.

No. The problem was made in Torrance.

#22 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Well, I found grease on the primary of my C14 just a few weeks after I received it back from Celestron.

That's not what he was talking about. He was talking about the HD optics inside the baffle tube. The primary is a different matter and could end up with grease on it from the outside of the baffle tube.

#23 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Why should there even be any discussion about grease, or any other contaminants, inside of a brand new, high-priced telescope OTA? In my opinion, that's just inexcusable!

#24 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Why should there even be any discussion about grease, or any other contaminants, inside of a brand new, high-priced telescope OTA? In my opinion, that's just inexcusable!

Absolutely... I've never seen grease drip off the baffle on any older SCT when stored vertically.

#25 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have a C11 which has been stored nose-down for the bulk of its 6 year life. The dreaded grease creep hasn't happened. However, I would say the ideal is on the OTA's side so dust can't land on an optical surface if it gets inside.

-Rich

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics