• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AdamThor

AdamThor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Greetings, fellow stargazers!

I decided to jump up to my attic last night to take a semi-skyline photograph of Reykjavík, the capital of Iceland, because I wanted to share this with you guys. I live in central Reykjavík and this is the view from my attic, looking north. I'm sure I would've gotten a "better" picture of this aesthetic crime scene. Nevertheless, the picture says it all.
In this picture, you get a taste of the 3 most common forms of light pollution in Iceland; the ridiculously bright orange domes above towns, the Northern Lights (although they're beautiful, they're no fun through a telescope!) and this piece of "art", which is essentially the largest flash light in the world. It's called the "Peace Tower" and it´s a "gift" from Yoko Ono, to remember John Lennon...thanks Yoko! The Peace Tower, per se, isn't all bad. The philosophy and symbolism of the flashlight are pure and beautiful, but mother of Yoko, this is terrible from a stargazers point of view.

Posted Image

Now this piece of..."art"...slices through a clear sky, like a lightsaber (literally a lightsaber) through butter. And this is no short lightsaber.

What do you guys think?

#2 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

John who?

#3 Robert70

Robert70

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Garden State: NJ

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

How is it powered, and who pays for it? Not exactly LSD IMO ;)

#4 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

• Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think "art" like that should be aimed directly into the bedroom windows of those who

A) Designed it
B) Paid for it
C) Conceived it

#5 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, at least turn it off at night!

:D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics