• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SilentKnights

SilentKnights

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Buying a new NexStar 6SE telescope as my first telescope ! Wondering what eyepieces would be best to have for starting out ?? :question: I am not sure what extras are needed for viewing moon , galaxies, planets, nebulas, to name a few plus I have a young son who will be viewing through the eyepiece with me. :grin: Just needing help on what couple extras I would need starting out then adding more eyepieces the further I get along with more experience at the eyepiece. Any feedback would be appreciated :grin: Thank You ! :grin:

#2 ke4kso

ke4kso

Explorer 1

• Loc: Chiefland Fl.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

You really dont need many, I use a 26mm with a Celestron ultima barlow that I have had for about 20 years,Three different magnifications depending on where the barlow is inserted, before or after the diagonal. But on the 8 it doesnt clear the base inserted before, when pointing straight up. May be ok with the 6. I like the barlow because I wear eyeglasses when I observe. I have the Celestron eyepiece kit but have only used the 17 for high power with the barlow.

#3 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

While I don't have a 6, I do have a 5" so I've got an idea of what should work... .

Truthfully, just a barlow will allow a lot of different magnifications with the 25mm you got with the scope. ~12.5mm if inserted after the diagonal, and ~8mm if placed between the scope and the diagonal. To go along with that, maybe a 32mm plossl to get the widest possible FOV at low power.

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

A lot depends on your budget and your goal. You can get eyepieces (EPs) from $30 to $600 each and selection is a very personal choice.

If you're looking to get some inexpensive EPs that you may want to replace later, the Agena Astro Enhanced Wide Angle set is a great bargain. You can get the whole set for $135, or buy them individually for about $40 each:
http://tinyurl.com/8bnphv2

If you want to spend more and move up the food chain to some really good quality EPs, the Baader Hyperions are about $120 and are a great bang for the buck. Since these are more expensive, these would be good to look at if you want to maybe buy one at a time and build up your set over time.

Since your scope comes with a 25mm EP, something in the 13-15mm range would be a good first addition. This would give you more magnification for use with planets or other small targets. My 13mm Hyperion is probably my most used EP.

-Dan

#5 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

Hi SilentKnights and welcome.

I would go along with Dan in that something in the 13mm to15 mm is a good start. A x2 Barlow used with the supplied 25mm would give you x12mm If you remove the bottom element from the Barlow and screw it into your 25mm, as you would a filter, it will give you x 1and a 1/2 (17mm). Both focal lengths are approx.

I'm sure you will enjoy the 6se. It is a good scope.

Regards. Peter.

#6 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

I agree with Dan as well. I use a 14mm Meade eyepiece a lot, even during alignment and for Planets and DSO's.

#7 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

First telescope ??? and don't want to spend a lot of money until you know what you may want...

Id just buy an inexpensive 8 to 24 mm Zoom (and I do NOT like zooms) But for your purposes one would be a good idea.. Meade Zhumell and Celestron all sell for well under $100 and all are "acceptable" The Baader Hyperion Zoom is excellent but its over $200.00

The cons are that the FOV is not as great as a single eyepieces BUT who cares it will allow you to see what magnification(s) you seem to be using night after night...

Bob G.

#8 SilentKnights

SilentKnights

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

This is my first telescope so very much a noob here I just figured there might be a few must have eyepieces to have on hand that are used quite often and very useful. I am sure as I get better and spend more time with my telescope I will know better which ones I need. Just wanted to add a few eyepieces that would make my beginners clear skies and observing more pleasurable and enjoyable not to mention rewarding. Thanks for the help and feedback thus far I do appreciate it.

#9 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Id just buy an inexpensive 8 to 24 mm Zoom (and I do NOT like zooms) But for your purposes one would be a good idea.. Meade Zhumell and Celestron all sell for well under $100 and all are "acceptable"
Bob G.

Add my vote to Bob's. A zoom is a handy EP and a good way to explore the range of useful magnification. I own two at the moment (included with used scope buys), an older Vixen and the current and much less expensive $59 Celestron. In head to head comparisons with the Televue zoom on a NS 8 and C5, the Celestron gives up surprisingly little to the more expensive EPs. If this was CR it would get a best buy rating.

My most often used EP is a Meade 5000 SWA 20mm. A 10mm EP is the next choice for me and my sky.

#10 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Ditto on the zoom EP suggestion. I picked up the Celestron model when I started out. After I got some experience I tried the Explore Scientific 82 degree line of EP's and thoroughly enjoy them. The 2 I use most are the 24 and 14mm.

James

#11 Gui Marques

Gui Marques

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Quebec/Canada

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'll echo the suggestion of the 32mm. That's definitely a must with a long focal length scope like yours, to help frame some DSO's.

A nice Plossl should do the job, and if you want to spend a bit more, you can get a Televue 32mm for around $120. Otherwise there are many good options below $100 as well.

Your minimum should be around 8mm, practically speaking. Anything below that most likely won't get used often due to seeing limitations.

Thus, a good starter shopping list for your scope would include:

32mm plossl
17mm widefield (68o Hyperion or similar)
13mm widefiled (68o Hyperion or similar)

If you add a barlow it will also give you around 8mm and 6mm, for those good seeing nights.

Although I call this a "starter" list, you probably won't need to add many more to cover a good range of magnifications and fields. You'll see users with long lists of EP's, but that's mostly because people like to collect those little shinny things.

In terms of priority, I'd get the 32 first and then the 13. The 17 can be added later to fill the gap.

Gui

#12 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Adorama has the Celestron zoom for $57.95. I also noticed that Celestron is now selling a premium zoom which looks like a relabeled Baader.

http://www.adorama.com/CNZEPD.html

#13 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Just have to throw in my contrary view on the zooms. :grin:

I own the Baader Mark III zoom, arguably the best of them, and yet I'm not a big fan. They have their place, and for me that place is in my grab and go bag. A zoom obviously replaces several eyepieces so it is handy if you have little space or just don't want to fiddle with a case full of EPs.

But for me, an eyepiece with a field of view of around 68° or more is a big part of the enjoyment of the experience. When I look through EPs with smaller fields I feel constrained - like I'm looking through a straw. And since I often spend time scanning around looking for objects, it feels a bit like I'm trying to find my car keys in my house ... while looking through a straw! I'm just itchin' for more view.

While the zooms have nice 68° field of view at the high mag end, when you start moving the zoom towards the low mag end, the field starts to narrow until it reaches about 50° at the end. And of course, the low mag end is really where you WANT the wide field of view for seeing larger objects or scanning around. For magnification it is a 3x zoom, but for field of view it is only about a 2x zoom. In other words, you only see twice as much of the sky at the low end vs. the high end.

I know many people love the zooms. But I find that whenever I have a choice, I always reach for my fixed focus EPs. The only time I really use the Baader zoom is when I want to take a quick peek through one of my smaller scopes. I store it in a small grab and go bag that I strap around my waist so I can take everything I need out with me in one trip. It's definitely handy in that situation.

Just my 2 cents! :penny: :penny:

-Dan

#14 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

I Agree with you Dan...BUT this is for a guy who just purchased his first scope and only has the single eyepiece that was included with the purchase... like I noted I'm not a fan of zooms either

But a INEXPENSIVE zoom just fits the bill for his situation...

I do own a Celestron Zoom that I use with my 4 inch refractor that I use for our clubs outreach sessions and it works very well ..

Bob G.

#15 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

The 6SE comes with a generic 25 plossl so IMHO, you should be getting some EPs in the range of 12.5mm and 6mm for the higher powers as well as a 30mm (preferably Wide angled) for low power work on large DSOs.

#16 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi SilientKnights,

A very warm welcome to CN and to this forum ! :bow: :bow:

A 6mm EP is far too powerful for a 6SE and even for an 8SE in my opinion !

It's only use is, arguably, in providing an image with ideal Airy rings when collimating. I therefore would have thought that a 10mm was probably the shortest useful focal length EP, for observing purposes, a 6SE could usefully tolerate on a night to night basis.

Best regards,
Tel

#17 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

The longer FL limit is about 32mm @ 68° for the 2" version. This yields a FOV of 1.32°. Here's a link to some tests.

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

#18 ke4kso

ke4kso

Explorer 1

• Loc: Chiefland Fl.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

I bought my 8se used, It came with the Celestron eyepiece and filter kit. I got around to checking some more of them out last night. Its the later kit tthat includes the 17 mm They are much better than I expected. Really sharp and contrasty. And the barlow was much better than an Orion shorty that I had years ago. I think I like it better than my Ultima. I dont think you can go wrong for about 140.00.

#19 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Too bad Celestron doesn't sell an eyepiece kit with more choices on the big end.

If I remember correctly ,35mm gives the biggest FOV for 1.25" focusers in most any scope;and my 32mm gets less use than my Celestron 25 or Meade 26.

You will find something close to 15mm and also 10mm useful .

At the right price the Celestron or other kits is fine even if you don't use the smallest EPs but rarely,just because the price individually can be much higher.

#20 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

So true, Tel! I have a 6mm and I have NEVER been able to get a decent image in it with my 6SE.

#21 chemist

chemist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Just thought I should mention that eye relief and exit pupil are just as important as magnification and field of view. I don't like EP's with less than 10-12mm of eye relief, and 15mm or more is needed if you wear glasses while viewing. For an f/10 scope like the 6SE, EP's in the range of 15-25mm will give better apparent brightness and contrast than those below 10mm.

I agree that a 2X Barlow is a must since it effectively gives you two magnification options for each EP. I also suggest a 32mm (or 40mm) EP for wider angle views of star clusters and asterisms. And for just "huntin' around for stuff", the 24-8mm zoom can't be beat.

Chemist

#22 AlexDJ30

AlexDJ30

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Monterrey, Mexico

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Silent I think that the good suggestion is starting with a Zoom eyepice, I think thats the best start if you dont want to spend lots of money and give a wide range of magnifications plus its just one eyepice to carry to use it fast and the SCT scopes are a bite forgiving on the quality of the eyepices (not like fast refractors thats needs good quality eyepices), later on you can buy specialize eyepices, and about a 2X barlow most of my viewing time i dont use it , I have a celestron Zoom eyepice (its OK zoom the only problems at least with mine is some black outs if i move my eyes) and almost all the times i never use the 2X barlow (I have one). I would recomend you that you try to buy a zoom for the easy use and fast (if you can buy a better quality zoom like Baader its better!) and then if you want eyepices then go for them but at least the zoom will perform good on the 6SE.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics