•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Very small mount

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

I'm looking at getting a very small mount so that I can take wide field photos. The Teegul Sky Patrol is too rich for my blood. Ditto for the TOAST-Pro.

I had a Vixen Polaris before, it was built really well but I think still a bit too large for my needs.

So.. will an EQ-2 / CG-3 mount be worthwhile? does it have a full worm on the declination? (just for giggles I might want to make it GoTo capable, since I already have the motors and I have the GoTo controller).

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

If all you want to do is take widefield pictures, have a look at the new Vixen Polarie.

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

A bit embarrassing, but my knowledge of the night sky is limited to the few brightest constellations and M objects. I'd have a pretty hard time finding my way around without GoTo.

Hence I want something that can be GoTo-ized, but smaller than a CG-5.

#4 gdd

gdd

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

The Vixen GP2 is the smallest GOTO mount I have found. It weighs 9.4 pounds and has a capacity of 20 pounds. OPT has it. I think that is smaller than a CG-5.

Gale

#5 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

You might investigate the new Smart EQ from ioptron -- full go to for about $400, light and portable, but with a correspondingly light maximum load of about 9-10 pounds.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

A bit embarrassing, but my knowledge of the night sky is limited to the few brightest constellations and M objects. I'd have a pretty hard time finding my way around without GoTo.

Hence I want something that can be GoTo-ized, but smaller than a CG-5.

I would look at the new, small iOptron mount, then...but...

Do you really need go-to for widefield imaging? It is pretty much "point in the general direction." ;)

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

I want to go as long as 300mm..

#8 gdd

gdd

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA (N/O Seattle)

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

You want to image at 300mm without GOTO?

I take a picture at 50mm which is pretty sure to find the object. Then adjust the mount until I get a picture with the object centered. Then move up to the 300mm.

Gale

#9 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

I want to go as long as 300mm..

At 300mm you will want a half way decent mount with fairly good PE numbers. The EQ2 could probably hold the weight of a 300mm lens, but I suspect it would not be accurate enough for exposures longer than 30-60 seconds without auto guiding. Were you planning on autoguiding? I don't believe an EQ2 mount can be autoguided. You might take a look at the Celestron CG-4 mount, but again, it doesn't have goto or can't be autoguided.

The Vixen GP2 is probably still your best bet, but it's on the expensive side when you throw in a goto setup for it. That mount has relatively good PE numbers and with the HAL130 tripod it's quite portable, more so than a CG5 which has a pretty hefty tripod.

Your only other option would be an Astrotrac setup.

Patrick

#10 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I have a Littlefoot Elegance Photo GoTo controller. It's ridiculously expensive if bolted to one of these very small mounts, but I already have it for my AP QMD mount, and I have extra motors, so the cost of adding GoTo and autoguiding to just about any mount is just the cost of my time.

I had a Great Polaris and a Polaris, these are still not my idea of "very small mount" - I'm looking for something that can be placed in carryon luggage along with a 300mm lens or a 70mm ED refractor.

Those Mizar GEM's from Japan kind of fit my bill. Just darn hard to find..

#11 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

A couple of random comments:

* Polarie, I believe there's custom adapters out of HK/JP that allow for higher loading, but I'd wager putting an 70ED with imaging equipment may be unrealistic. Probably more in the ballpark of a dSLR with a 180mm ED. My experience with the Polarie is with lenses in the 85mm range.

* Astrotrac will definitely fit the bill nicely, but it is in the price bracket of the Teegul (once you add up all the parts) - and it's manual. I recently acquired the complete travel system, it has some quirks but handles my FS-60C (@300mm) setup easily, and tracks beautifully unguided.

* Kenko Skymemo-RS in the same price bracket, no experience with it although from the limited reviews I'd like to give it a try (longer tracking than Astrotrac, much better polar scope).

* As for goto, another wild idea is to pack along a small goto mount like the ioptron cube, slew it to target and switch on a laser pointer mounted on it - then move your manual tracking mount to where the GLP is pointed.

* The other Vixen product other than GP2 Photo Guider - Sphinx SXW with the NexSXD control board replacement - Check-in luggage for sure, but don't discount it - I believe that it can be 5lb or more lighter than a CG-5 setup due to the reduced amount of counterweight required.

* How about scouting around for an older Tak Space Boy or P2Z?

* ... go with the Toast-Pro - and give us a nice little review :grin:

#12 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

I put my old Polaris in check-in a couple times. Not very pleasant, and eats up one's baggage allowance. The original TOAST is actually more interesting than the TOAST Pro, because it had a larger worm wheel and much lower periodic error (Tak EM200 class). No GoTo, ever. :D

P2Z and Space Boy both have tangent arm declination, so no GoTo, ever. There's actually a Teegul Sky Patrol II on the other site for a pretty reasonable price, but my problem is the lack of a declination worm gear. I want that GoTo as I'm positively incompetent at finding all but the brightest stuff.

And having an alt-az GoTo for pointing isn't good for the baggage allowance, either.

#13 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

I'm not sure, but I don't think what you want exists. It sounds like you want a full goto mount that can fit in carry on luggage, be capable of carry a 300mm lens, and track accurately enough not to require autoguiding...and cost the same as an EQ3.

I think you will have to compromise somewhere. :smirk:

Patrick

#14 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

I can compromise on the cost of the EQ3. :)

And the GoTo.

As I mentioned, I will be using my Littlefoot GoTo controller (because I like the interface and I don't want to learn two different interfaces). So all I want is something which can be carried-on - or at least, won't bust more than 50% of check-in baggage allowance - has full 360-degree rotation in declination, and is of good quality.

#15 Geo.

Geo.

Soyuz

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

A lot of amateur development has been done on the Meade DS2000 mount. These go for around $100. The tripod is junk, but some stiff wood legs will bring it around. I put some short Vixen Polaris fixed height legs on one and it's quite stable.

Google "milapse".

#16 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

George, am not sure if the DS2000 can track in EQ mode. Last time I tried EQ mode on my ETX60 (similar mechanics) it failed miserably. Probably only works for high latitudes, not when the fork is almost lying on its side..

#17 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm not sure if I would bother with anything much smaller than the CG-4. It is fairly small, inexpensive and can be motorized. You might even be able to find a Synscan goto system for it (I tuned one up that had one added to it). The CG-4 is actually not a bad little mount when it comes down to it. The big problem with any GEM mount is that you will need to haul a counterwieght along with you.

#18 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

If I'm reading This CN Thread correctly, the Little Foot only works with stepper motors. That could be a limiting factor, particularly on small mounts using DC motors. I'm not an electrical person so I can't say with any certainty it won't work, but I'd look into it.

Patrick

#19 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

I'm pretty handy with the Littlefoot. I converted my stepper AP600QMD to GoTo with it.

Actually I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the $450 Tak EM-2 that was for sale on the other site on 22 September. That would've been perfect..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics