battery heated vest/liner?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 calibos

calibos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

As I implement my mods I am dealing with all the things that can cut short a nights observing, wasting a clear night. ie. Temp controlled fan systems to deal with Thermal issues on the scope. Dew heaters for optics and Eyepieces etc. All manner of Goto drives and gadgets to make observing more productive. Mods to make set up and teardown as quick and easy as possible so that valuable observing time is not wasted or becomes so much a chore that one doesn't even bother.

The likes of the Gebring gear is another step on that road to prevent a nights observing being cut short by frozen fingers and toes.

I have one question though. What am I going to do about my fellow observers who have/do none of the above and call it quits early and leave me on my own....out in the middle of nowhere...surrounded by darkness.....and weird noises.

Only as strong as the weakest link and all that? :D :D

#27 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hmmmm. That's a good question. Good luck with that. :grin:

Regards, Linda B.

#28 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

When every one else leaves is when I start to really enjoy the hobby. I'm not big on group activities and for me amateur astronomy is a way to unwind, relax, contemplate, speculate ... distractions from people is not conducive to any of that. As for the strange noises coming from the trees well truth be told very few four legged animals are likely to cause you any harm. The two legged animals that are up to no good and looking to cause trouble don't tend to hang out at dark sites.

#29 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

on my own....out in the middle of nowhere...surrounded by darkness.....and weird noises.

That's my every observing session. :lol:

#30 Retsub

Retsub

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston,Tx.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks Roscoe for the Cabella's tip. I looked today and it sort of bothers me that their name is on it. I mean is it the same as Gerbing's or a knock off. Probably not because it is the same price. A good price for the battery and charger that is the same as G's for the battery alone but then again is it as good as the real thing ? Still looking for a better hat ? ? ? *BW*

#31 John Jarosz

John Jarosz

Astro Gearhead

• Loc: Fairfax, Iowa

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Here's another source for battery heated clothing:

Motorcyclegear.com

But I have not used this product (yet)

John

#32 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thanks Roscoe for the Cabella's tip. I looked today and it sort of bothers me that their name is on it. I mean is it the same as Gerbing's or a knock off. Probably not because it is the same price. A good price for the battery and charger that is the same as G's for the battery alone but then again is it as good as the real thing ? Still looking for a better hat ? ? ? *BW*

I wonder if it's like Kasai orthos......you can get them with many different names on 'em, but they all come from the same factory...... :question:
Russ

#33 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Since the description for Cabelas heated gear actually says that it uses Gerbing's microwire technology, it would seem that Gerbing makes the clothing and puts Cabelas name on it. A win for both companies I would think.

BTW, happy birthday Russ!

#34 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Harley Davidson sells Gerbing under their name as well.

#35 Retsub

Retsub

Vostok 1

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I ordered the S-2 jacket from Gerbings. Its backordered but should get here by mid-nov. She said that Cabelas is their stuff with a different tag and small differences and will warranty them too. I also ordered a spare batt from Cabelas since it comes with a charger too as a spare. With two batts and two chargers not much else can go wrong. Just wish that the jacket had a way to turn off some of the heaters to conserve batt power. Don't expect very cold weather here in so. texas for over a month so the delivery timing should work out ok. Many thanks to all for the suggestions and info. *BW*

#36 wirebender

wirebender

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vida, Oregon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

I've been using socks, pants, jacket and gloves, all connected into one unit after putting on. They use just under 15 amps, 12 volts.
Only in my roll off, and I do have a power converter and am connected to a wire. Unit has dual controls for upper and lower adjustment independently.
Been using this for over 5 years now, still going strong.
http://cozywinters.c...CFQSCQgodh0YAdA

#37 Retsub

Retsub

Vostok 1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Update of the Gerbings S2 jacket I ordered mid October. I also ordered a spare battery and charger from Cabelas and it came in about a week. Thought I had it all figured out. With two batts and a AC and DC charger I should be good to go. The jacket finaly came just before X Mas and was able to try it out twice. DIDN'T PERFORM AS EXPECTED ! Like I have written before here in south Texas doesn't have the frozen cold like many of you have but when its 30-40f and heavy dew its very chilling in another way.
Here is how it didn't work out. Full batt charge with a light shirt on underneath,heavy knit cap, 38f, very light wind and light dew and the heat on high I went out and sat in a chair. Before long my jeans were cold and I could feel a little heat at the chest and neck heaters area. Got up and walked around but that didn't help. Went into the house looking for the other batt to try and soon I felt the warmth of the jacket heat. Enough for one nite.
Next nite after lots of thinking went back out and had a waterproof shell jacket over the Gerbing to help hold the heat in. About the same temp and conditions. After a while where is the heat ? and changed to the other batt. No difference. Walked around and sat back down. Really wasn't very pleased by now. Far as I know with all the reading of reviews I have given it a fair chance. I mailed it back to Gerbings today for a full refund. Now I have a new but used once batt and a DC charger to dispose of at another loss of money. Can't win. Good luck with yours. *BW*

#38 skullpin

skullpin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Upper: my standard indoor t-shirt, wool zip up sweater, down underjacket, fleece over jacket, nylon shell. I do not even bother zipping up the outer two layers until the temperature falls below -10C.

Lower, thermal underwear, down pants (Western Mountaineering Fight pants). Regular tube socks, wool over socks. Shearling boot insoles.

Head: sheepskin mountie type hat.

I am well covered and core warm down to below -20C. The only problem are my hands as I use leather-thinsulate gloves for dexterity. My hands become cold within 30-60 minutes.

I have a Zippo handwarmer that really throws heat, though it is a bit of a pain to use. It needs lighter fluid and it occasionally goes out. I recently got a Sanyo Eneloop Kairo handwarmer that is powered by NiMH AA cells and it is really nice. I keep it in one glove, and put it on with a click of the button when I need it. It warms my hand up nice, and I switch hands every now and then. The batteries last about two hours, so I usually have an extra set in my pocket, though I rarely need them for a typical evening session.

In my opinion, this sort of battery operated warmer is only a comfort device, not a replacement for good clothes. Though some readers with cold hands might be interested.

Keith

#39 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

No batteries in this, but I spend a lot of time working outside in winter, and I have found that hoods are much warmer than hats - that stripe of cold air along the back of the neck isn't there, and having the ears well covered makes a big difference, too.
Insulated boots are important, too. Mine have removable thick felt liners in them.
R

#40 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

DIDN'T PERFORM AS EXPECTED !

those gerbing jackets are different than what I have, I have the motorcycle vest which is wire with nice thick wire and will keep me warm going 60mph in 30° weather.

I guess I'll stay away from their micro-what-ever technology.

thanks for the head up.

#41 EddWen

EddWen

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

DIDN'T PERFORM AS EXPECTED !

Here is how it didn't work out. Full batt charge with a light shirt on underneath,heavy knit cap, 38f, very light wind and light dew and the heat on high I went out and sat in a chair.

If what you say here is correct, I would not expect it to work either.

If you re-read the posts above, note that several refer to using a well insulated jacket over the vest. Did you use one and forgot to mention?

My Gerbings vest is 5 years old and works well, under my North Face ski jacket.

#42 Retsub

Retsub

Vostok 1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Eddwen, the first nite out after it seemed to not be working I got up and walked around then sat back down as if I was observing but still felt hardly anything. I was visiting family and didn't have all my gear near by but when I went into the house for a bathroom stop and was looking for the other batt I did feel heat only then. Next nite after lots of thinking I put on a waterproof shell jacket on top and went out again and repeated just like the first nite and used both batts to be sure but the results were the same as the first nite. Wish I had 12VDC and some amps like Pinbout wrote about but only with a small batt ! Thanks. *BW*

#43 bouvier

bouvier

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

My wife, son and I all have a Milwaukee and we think they are awesome. Even @ -30C with a suitable jacket over we stay nice and comfortable. Great for walking the dog, outdoor events and watching the sky. $130 at Home Depot and comes with 2 batteries (replacements are readily available) and a quick charger (20 minutes). A cold night and I will use both batteries. Lots of handy pocket space too. Heat seems to be upper back/shoulder and upper chest. With the outer jacket, heat placement seems very comfortable. Our jackets are quite loose fitting and feel very relaxed. They've worked well for us for the last couple of years

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics