Photo

Almach or Rasalgethi? (Ginger or Mary Anne?)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Among the bright, unequal brightness, color contrasted doubles, which of these two do you prefer, and more importantly why?

- Jim

#2 fred1871

fred1871

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Ummm... first I'll have to look up the names to see which stars you mean, Jim - that dratted North American habit of referring to stars only by their proper names (very improper - you've not been introduced - you've only watched them from a distance :grin:).

Checking via the Wikipedia list (400 or so names and counting - should I memorise these? :help:) -
ah, yes, Almach is Gamma Andromedae (with variant spellings), and Raslagethi is presumably Rasalgethi, and
Alpha Herculis.

Hmmm.... like better? probably I'd toss a coin - both are striking. I suspect it comes down to personal taste. And I think they're at their best at moderate apertures - too much light washes out the colours of stars as bright as these.

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

Gingers too flighty stupid and high maintenance but one of her starry points is infact double [a rarety among women] even if its invisible right now. Mary anne though is the one youd want to spend the rest of your life with and on that island.

Pete

#4 Inge

Inge

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

Both are very nice. Under steady skies I prefer the closer one. Gamma Andromedae, however, is beautiful even when seeing is very poor.

I once was able to split the secondary of Gamma Andromedae with an 18-inch. This pair is too close right now, but after 2015 it will be widening again and in some years becoming accessible with smaller scopes.

#5 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Well Ginger is fun to look at, but Mary Anne is the girl for me. This is also true with this pair of stars, RasAlgethi is fun to look at but it's Almach for me.

#6 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

• Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Gamma Andromeda or Almach is one double star that would rival Albireo in most observation lists. Alpha Hercules is a tighter double but colors are intense enough to make it a crowd favorite. In 8" reflectors I once owned (3 of them),I find Alpha Hercules harder to seperate because of the secondary-but easier to see in 2.4" & 4" refractors. I prefer Almach over Alpha Hercules but not by much.

Jim :refractor:

#7 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Rasalgethi is a stunner. I still remember the impression it made the first time I saw it. To me the primary looks very red and the companion a light blue. Almach is gorgeous as well, but I guess I've always had a penchant for red doubles.

Reminds me of a Springsteen song:

"Well brunettes are fine man
And blondes are fun
But when it comes to getting a dirty job done

I'll take a red headed woman"

#8 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

I was once asked that question at a party. Ginger or Mary Anne?

I responded with, "Yes!"

Same here. Not gonna choose. Nope.

#9 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I took another look at both stars tonight with my TV85. They were placed at similar elevations above the horizon and the sweet spot for observing was 120x.

I'll have to throw my vote in for Almach. The school bus yellow-orange primary with the robin's egg blue companion is one of the loveliest jewels in the sky. They both glow with enough magnitude and separation to compliment each other rather than one overwhelm the other.

Rasalgethi's firey red primary seems too much for it's diminutive bluish companion. It's a bit drowned out by the show.

I might see it differently with Rasalgethi at zenith, but tonight Almach wins.

#10 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

Almach for me, in a small (120mm) refractor. Just the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It and Alberio are pretty much the whole first string.
Alpha Her is an upper 2nd stringer for me, along with Izar and Xi Boo. Still gorgeous, but not *quite* in the same league.

#11 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

Rasalgethi has been one of my favorite astronomical targets since the pulic star party/outreach event where I was showing it to all comers and one kid, about 8 maybe, took a look and called to his parents to come see "wrestle spaghetti." I like the way it looks too, but as for pioking between these two pairs it's really a toss up.

#12 Americal

Americal

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Jim, for me it's Gamma Andromedae, the colour( bows to Neil)is, I feel, more intense. The nice thing is being able to compare both of them A-B on the same night. Kind of hard for us old guys to see, much less remember, colours.

#13 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Id think if the b component were showing its companion better ( or at all) itd have a little more star attraction. That it holds a prize for those good nights but still obliges to the most humble apertures is a deal winning trait. Kind of wish itd speed hpand pop again .

Pete

#14 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Almach is hypnotic. In Sept I went up to the Great Lake Star Gaze, a rare dark-sky trip for me. We had 2 nights of amazing, clear, dark skies, and I ended up spending an hour of it staring at this double, which later I thought was kind of dumb...

#15 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I don't have a lot of doubles under my belt, but having just observed Almach...well it wins for now.

It was quite impressive fiery amber and baby blue eyes...or lavender mist, or something nice. Maybe a soft azure with a dash of beau. :)

But, that's because Raslagethi is still on the bucket list.

http://en.wikipedia..../List_of_colors

#16 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Almach is hypnotic. In Sept I went up to the Great Lake Star Gaze, a rare dark-sky trip for me. We had 2 nights of amazing, clear, dark skies, and I ended up spending an hour of it staring at this double, which later I thought was kind of dumb...

Not if it was an enjoyable hour.

Pete

#17 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Not if it was an enjoyable hour.

Pete

Ditto that!
There's something really compelling about a good view of Almach that I don't know how to describe, but that a lot of folks on this thread evidently also feel. It just kind of burns into your soul and creates a sort of longing for... for... that something I can't put into words.

#18 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

There was something in the optical path of my AR6 at the time, probably on my eyepiece because I didn't see this effect with my longer FL EPS, but with my 6.4mm Almach appeared with some fairly bright diffraction spikes. It was pretty beautiful tho.

#19 phily

phily

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Here is another vote for Almach. Raselgethi is nice but Almach has that edge that places it into the same category as Alberio. Great, beautiful objects, which never fail to excite guests at Public Observing.
Phil

#20 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Almach for me.

The brighter primary, larger magnitude difference, and increased separation all make it more striking.

Raslagethi is a close second for me. The primary being variable is why, and that may push it over the top for some since it won't always appear exactly the same with the same scope/eyepiece.

#21 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Almach for me also

Also signals that fall is there, with all the outsied our galaxies goodies.

#22 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Don't forget Izar...

#23 drollere

drollere

Apollo

• Loc: sebastopol, california

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

i guess i have a thing for bright, tight blondes ... i'd choose 53 AQR anytime.

#24 Pete-LH

Pete-LH

Messenger

• Loc: Wilmington, DE

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Maybe mundane for most here but this last year Rigel was a nice suprise for me. Maybe because I've overlooked it for so long. Last winter I pushed to Rigel seeing it's graphic in the Cambridge chart was a double and stared at it looking for the companion and as my eye adjusted the small, blue sparkling gem appeared. Moments like that are so inspiring. Sorry for drifting from the theme.

As for Ginger and Mary Anne, I live for the moment so I would probably not choose wisely given the opportunity.

#25 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

On the topic of star color, I though this article was interesting for us double star buffs. In keeping with the Ginger vs. Mary Anne discussion.

http://outreach.atnf...r/astrophysi...

- Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics