Photo

Almach or Rasalgethi? (Ginger or Mary Anne?)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Maybe mundane for most here but this last year Rigel was a nice suprise for me.

Bet no one here thinks Rigel is mundane ;)

#27 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'd agree. Rigel is no "Lovey" Howell!

http://upload.wikime...b/d/dc/Lovey...

Polaris is the tune-up for Rigel. Rigel is the tune-up for Sirius. Sirius is a "rite of passage" for any double star sleuth earning his or her stripes. :grin:

- Jim

#28 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'd agree. Rigel is no "Lovey" Howell!

http://upload.wikime...b/d/dc/Lovey...

Polaris is the tune-up for Rigel. Rigel is the tune-up for Sirius. Sirius is a "rite of passage" for any double star sleuth earning his or her stripes. :grin:

- Jim

Guess I'm still just a boy... :o

#29 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Your XT8 this winter will surely remedy that. The Pup is ripe for house breaking my friend!

:grin:

- Jim

#30 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Your XT8 this winter will surely remedy that. The Pup is ripe for house breaking my friend!

:grin:

- Jim

Appreciate your confidence! It's not for lack of trying, that's for sure. But, practice makes perfect. And fortunately, I love to practice! So bring it on...

#31 drollere

drollere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: sebastopol, california

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

In keeping with the Ginger vs. Mary Anne discussion.

http://outreach.atnf...r/astrophysi...

the discussion of the measurement of blackbody color using the difference in narrow bandwidth (filtered) illuminances is useful. on human color vision, not so much:

* photopic color sensitivity does not describe color sensitivity to stellar images at near or full scotopic adaptation
* stars are not "point" sources to begin with, and color is often examined visually as defocused stellar disks
* "small field tritanopia" is in fact a difficult effect to demonstrate experimentally, and is almost nonexistent in the perception of lights
* the "blackbody colors" of different stars presented as large visual areas on a computer monitor (which is designed to simulate the visual appearance of surfaces, specifically "white" as a white sheet of paper) has a very limited resemblance to the "colors" of stars, which are perceived as very small, bright lights against a very dark background
* more generally, color (especially saturation) is strongly dependent on overall luminance and on luminance contrast (color luminance vs. background luminance)
* stimulus color, objectively defined as a radiance or luminance profile, has little bearing on perceived color, due to a variety of compensatory and adaptive mechanisms in the visual response (e.g., "complementary contrast")
* the individual differences in color experience among *normal* observers are (in the judgment of a standard color text, published by the optical society of america) "enormous".

nothing can take away from the splendor of stars and the great enjoyment in observing their color variety. the "vision science" brought to bear on the analysis of star color does not seem to me up to the task, and consists mostly of claims and conclusions cobbled together in a way that is best described as conjectural.

#32 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Nod goes to Almach

While Almach transited last night, I had a brief window to stretch my 10 inch scope at 500X (6MM). Did try to get any hint of the B component being double, but the sky wasn't seady enough for the 3.7MM.

#33 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Vanguard

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Wow Jim, what a great and difficult question! I hope to have an urban Thanksgiving star party that Friday night the 23rd of November. What a GREAT contest for the evening. I only hope Rasalgethi's still high enough then to participate. As for Mary Anne or Ginger, I was such a young man and so busting at the seems that I'd almost have settled for Mrs Howell. Desertstars has my answer, and Pete L-H my sentiments on these two exactly. I'm afraid it would have simply come down to opportunity and circumstance, and not much more. But with such choices, why worry? I would gladly have Rasalgethi OR Almach; I'll let you know after I've had them both and am smoking a cigarette.

#34 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Incidentally, I'm a Rasalgethi man, myself.

- Jim

#35 Ziggy943

Ziggy943

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Generally I prefer Alpha Hercules UNLESS the B component of Gamma Andromeda is wide enough to split. Seeing Almach as a triple is a real and rare treat. It's currently not doable.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics