Tucson General Info

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

I noticed some general info questions coming up, so here's a reheat. The only major difference for this year is less emphasis on observing during a full moon.

-Rich

#27 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

Barbara says that the best day to check air fares is on Tuesday. So....I'll be booking my flight. It's about half the cost to fly to Phoenix, though, so I'll have a bit of a drive. I found a really inexpensive car rental place, Payless, that quotes $26 a day for a Ford Fiesta. Barbara has a ton of Hilton points, so I'll have a free hotel stay.

It looks like I'll be seeing you guys in November! Now the wait begins...

David

#28 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

I've been thinking about getting a nice zoom lens to replace the 18-55 lens that came with the T2i. It's ok, but does not have the oomph that I'm looking for. I checked B&H and was ready to get a Canon 28-135 f3.5. The reviews are very good. And now that I know I'll be heading to Tuscon in November, I decided to get the lens. Before I purchased it from B&H, I checked on the 'Mart since they have some good deals pop up now and again. Holy cow! There was the exact lens equipped with a UV filter. B&H lists it for $479 + shipping + filter. I got if for $215 with filter and shipping. Pretty exciting!

David

#29 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

:like:

#30 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Room is booked. Not exactly where I wanted it, but considering that I'm using Barbara's Hilton points, I chose one that required a lot less points. The big news, Barbara has United points, so my flight may be done on points. It's not the best thing having a spouse that travels, but I must admit that the points come in handy! :bow:

David

#31 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Where did you end up staying?

-Rich

#32 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Here. While I would have rather been close, the price difference won the day. Besides, I'm stealing Barbara's points. :grin:

David

#33 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

Heh- that's in line of sight from where I live. Important note- you will drive until you run out of gas looking for "South Wilmot". The signs just say "Wilmot." There's a Texas Roadhouse steak place across the street from it, a great Indian place just east on Broadway, along with Macayo's further on which has pretty decent Mexican, there's a Denny's at the corner, and just to the west on Broadway There is a Panera bread, Coco's the usual fast food places, a really good shish kabob place (run by a Russian family). And there are more- suffice to say, you will know why this area is called Restaurant row.

-Rich

#34 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

If I'm driving when I get to a destination, the ole' Tom Tom is in my suitcase. Don't leave home without it! :grin:

David

#35 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Ok- just beware there are quite a few GPS traps in Tucson, so use it in traveling map mode instead of turn by turn. They named some roads where they start, stop, have a wash (arroyo, wadi, or dry riverbed, elsewhere) or airfield, and start again- the roads were never connected because there was never a bridge, and this is why people always mention major cross streets you should be near.

Since this is big sky country, you'll never get lost because you can see the different mountain ranges no matter where you are in town. So, the low and jaggy Tucson mountains are to the West, the tall Catalina mountains start after an obvious notch to the northwest and continue across the entire north of town, the greener and least jaggy Rincon mountains are to the East, and the distant point with a set of lower points on the right side of the Santa Ritas is to the South. The main city is basically a grid, so navigation is very possible.

-Rich

#36 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Now you really confused him Rich. Everyone knows Big Sky Country is Montana. :poke:

#37 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque! :grin:

David

#38 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

Coming from the gulf coast, all of this is big sky country.

-Rich

#39 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Coming from the gulf coast, all of this is big sky country.

-Rich

Tell me about it. My home is 26' above sea level.

David

#40 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Out here it is routinely possible to see features 65-100 miles away depending on how clear the air is. You will likely be able to easily make out Kitt Peak with the 4 meter telescope dome and the McMath solar observatory plainly visible as you move about town, and that's about 55 miles away.

In a way, this place is the near opposite of going somewhere like Manhattan or LA where everything man-made in the world really is available. I'm therefore trying to make sure people are aware of what is here they won't see elsewhere. I know a lot of conferences are set up to purposely keep people there and away from the outside world. But this one isn't like that.

-Rich

#41 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Completely off topic, but as it does involve Tuscon, a bunch of my customers will be there in late October for a National tennis tournament. I don't remember the club that's the headquarters, but anyone that's been there for the Nationals before said that they had a terrific time! The weather at that time should be just about perfect.

David

#42 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Astronomy:

Kitt peak- about an hour out, has day and night programs (not for the advanced observer).
Mount Hopkins- about an hour south on I-19, has striking scenery, visitor's center has a guided tour up the mountain.
Large Binocular Telescope- this is 2 hours out, so it's a bigger deal, and requires reservations.

Actually, it is a 2.5 hour drive to Safford. Then, another hour to hour and a half up Mt Graham to LBT. So, plan well. Thanks

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics