• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hi all,
I am trying to find out if the Orion Sirius and the Skywatcher HEQ5 are the same (I cannot find a plain EQ-5). In searching the internet it seems that the Orion Sirius and the Skywather HEQ-5 are the same. What is confusing me is the weight limits.
Orion states the Sirius is only rated to 30 Pounds.
Skywatcher HEQ-5 is rated on one site as 18Kg (39.6 pounds) and another site only claims having 15Kg (33 pounds).
The mounts look identical and I have been told that the Skywatcher and Orion mounts are the same.
What is the real story here?
Is orion underrating their mounts or is this really apples to oranges and not apples to apples? :question: :question:

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

They are the same. Orion is closer to the truth as to the visual limit for this mount (not imaging). ;)

#3 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

The Orion Sirius and SW HEQ5 you mention in your post are the same.

But, the SW HEQ5 is not the same as the SW EQ5 (which you reference in your post title) I have had both the HEQ5 and the EQ5 Pro - both are excellent mounts, but the HEQ5 has higher load capacity.

#4 guthman

guthman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yup, the Orion Sirius and the Skywatcher HEQ5 mounts are the same with the exception of the body color (the former is black, the later is white). The payload capacity, as you mentioned is stated by Orion and Skywatcher as 30lbs. and 40lbs. respectively. This looks to be a marketing deal. If you consider the rule of thumb for imaging that the payload should not exceed 75% of the mounts actual capacity, you will note that the Orion capacity is at or near the imaging max, whereas the Skywatcher rating is closer to the "dead weight" max.

Regardless of your application, you'll be fine at 30lbs, but you may notice some degredation with imaging as you go higher. My recomendation would be not to go above 90% (36lbs) in order to limit the wear&tear on the mount.

On a side note, the Skywatcher EQ5 looks to be the same as the Orion Skyview Pro.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics