• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DrBrown54

DrBrown54

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: OH

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Just curious if anyone here has a favorite app on their smart phones for finding things in the night sky when you are out in the field... or literally a dark field in the middle of nowhere? It would be nice having good charts and info on the phone for get pics at different hours.

I have a free one called Sky Map but it's nothing special. If anyone has a better one I'm open to suggestions from the gallery! :grin:

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Stellarium seems to be a popular choice. I believe it is freeware too. Sky Commander is another, and I believe you can use it to control your scopes movement as well (if motor driven). And don't throw away SkyMaps...in fact, the SECOND page of skymaps is more helpful then the first page. For people new to the hobby, the second page lists the objects viewable that month by naked by, Binoculars, or Telescope. I always use it to help plan out my viewing for the night.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Just curious if anyone here has a favorite app on their smart phones for finding things in the night sky when you are out in the field... or literally a dark field in the middle of nowhere? It would be nice having good charts and info on the phone for get pics at different hours.

I have a free one called Sky Map but it's nothing special. If anyone has a better one I'm open to suggestions from the gallery! :grin:

Do you have an iPhone or an Android?

Sky Safari is available for both but definitely it is the best thing out there for the Android. It is fast, has large databases and a well thought out interface.. It's a powerful program that got most desktop programs beat in terms of overall capability and yet it runs on a darn smart phone..

There are three version, the Basic... Good for someone who is not a serious stargazer. The Plus, probably has everything anyone could ever want and it's $15... and then there is the Pro...

Sky Safari for the Android

I had been using Planetarium for the Palm for several years and when I got my Droid smart phone I was hoping for an ap to replace it. I tried em all, there was nothing near as powerful. A friend showed me Sky Safari on his iPhone.., I knew I had to have it, it was the future. I wrote to Southern Stars encouraging them to port it to the Android... in the mean time I got an old iPhone from my son and was using that until Bill and Tim decided to port Sky Safari over to the Android OS..

There are other apps, Stellarium is available for the Android OS, Skeye is good... but Sky Safari is like having a super desktop program right on your cell phone..., you want to know the current separation of Sirius's companion, Sky Safari will not only give you the numbers but it will allow you to view the orbit..

Jon

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I highly recommend Observer Pro for the Iphone/Ipod/Ipad - $10 worth every penny.

https://itunes.apple...92803?ls=1&mt=8

Al

#5 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Another vote for SkySafari. I run the Plus version, so I can use my iPad to run my telescope.

#6 DrBrown54

DrBrown54

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: OH

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Downloading the $2.99 version of Sky Safari right now. Based on the reviews and description it's probably more than I'll need. I do more astrophotos than scope viewing since I only have a wimply 90mm refractor.

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

I have the $2.99 version of "Sky Safari" and the free version of "Star Map 3D" on my iPod touch 4. As good as "Sky Safari" is ... I really prefer the "Star Map 3D" app.

#8 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Star Map 3D is a well done application, but with only 303 deep sky objects, it's a lot more limited than Sky Safari and some others.

Regards,

Jim

#9 carver2011

carver2011

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

I've just about used them all on my iPhone and I think Sky Safari is the best one out there. It's with me at the scope every viewing session. Great for showing guests at a public party, where and what they are looking at. Very powerful, and loaded with info.

#10 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Star Map 3D is a well done application, but with only 303 deep sky objects, it's a lot more limited than Sky Safari and some others.

Not if you use Star Map 3D with binoculars or a small telescope ... 303 objects is all you'll ever need and the price is right. I can also zoom into smaller areas of the star map without loosing the "real-time" star display. I can't seem to do that with Sky Safari using my iPod touch. I also think the "real-time" setup is much easier and faster on Sky Map 3D. But, the differences are what makes a horse race. ;) They're both excellent apps ... IMHO.

#11 weezy

weezy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: East of the sun-west of the moon

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

I like Mobile Observatory for the menu.
I don't have a goto or pushto, so that part of any program doesn't matter.

What I want is to find out how to set up any app to look like the telrad/finder charts in the O'Reilly book "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" They show where to place the telrad, then another 50mm finder view of the object.

#12 kurat

kurat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

On my iPad and iPhone, I have SkySafari Plus, Skyview, GoSatWatch and iFlares, these four apps can affect your nightly sleep pattens, I also use skysafari to guide my LX200 GPS.

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

I like Mobile Observatory for the menu.
I don't have a goto or pushto, so that part of any program doesn't matter.

What I want is to find out how to set up any app to look like the telrad/finder charts in the O'Reilly book "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" They show where to place the telrad, then another 50mm finder view of the object.

I use Sky Safari and it's easy to setup with Telrad circles, you just need to turn them on. You can also add circles of any diameter you desire and zoom to a given field of view.

At one point, I downloaded Mobile Observatory. As I recall it was slow and only had the Calwell and Messier catalogs for DSOs.

Jon

#14 weezy

weezy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: East of the sun-west of the moon

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

I've tried. I want to switch without zooming that way. I'd prefer to zoom in closer with the telrad, then have the finder circle switch in. Think I'll just buy the pdf copy of the book and use that.

All I need is the Caldwell and Messier. I just can't find telrad markings in Observatory. I have no intention of buying a larger or different scope.

#15 ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC, Canada

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

Another vote for Sky Safari Pro. I use mine on my Android Samsung Galaxy Note and it works great.

I purchased some red rubylith (red clinging plastic) to put over the smart phone screen so that the power on screen wouldn't affect my night vision.

#16 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

I have so many apps on my iPod for astronomy. Out of all the apps I have though Sky Safari +, Observer Pro, Luminos, Moon Globe, 3d Sun, GoSatWatch, and iFlares all get the most use.

#17 Deb and Todd

Deb and Todd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

On my I-phone and I-pad I have a number of astronomy apps. Mostly I jump between Sky Safari and StarmapPro if I have a telescope out.

Often use Distant Suns if I just have binoculars.

For the moon I use moon globe,or the moon map inside Astromist.

#18 Matt2893

Matt2893

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: ChicagoLand

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I downloaded the basic Sky Safari app last night, its price dropped to free yesterday (all versions are reduced right now). It's like a lot of the other star apps, but seems to have a lot more info packed into it. I can see why so many folks here give it high praises. I don't know what the other versions (Plus and Pro) have that the base one doesn't, but with just my brief look at it since last night, the basic version should prove useful for my needs.

#19 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

What's a good Moon atlas app for Android? Something like Moon HD - I haven't been able to find one that combines high resolution images displayed as as the current phase of the Moon i.e. a telescope view; most of them seem to be plain rectangular maps.

#20 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

I agree SkySafari has probably one of the most extensive databases of info as I have ever seen in an app... But by far my personal favorite is Skeye Pro. It has a pretty good data base also but has the advantage over SkySafari in that it allows you to set your phone/tablet off axis in a comfortable position on your OTA.(primarily advantageous on Dobs) then you align to a known object and you have a visual virtual digital setting circles that you can use as a "push to" guide to help find objects. Plus with the Pro version($9.00) there are some filter settings sliders for object brightness and or size. With the filters you can get what you want on the screen and eliminate the stuff there's no way your scope could pick up.. or if you're searching for the exceptionally small and faint you can filter out the brigter/bigger objects to only show the others.

Ohh and as to my knowledge it is only available on android.

https://play.google....o#?t=W251bGw...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics