A few iEQ45 mods

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

I put an Aeroquest worm on my CGEM. It reduced the fundamental periodic error from 29" to 15"

However - the CGEM has a huge non-integral 2.6667X periodic error due to the gearbox - and on my CGEM the amplitude of this harmonic is 20"

Hence the Aeroquest didn't really reduce the overall PE very much (net-net PE went down by about 3").

#27 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

Nice information regarding optimizing the periodic error.
I need to measure mine and see how big the error is.
The tip with the stronger springs makes sense to me, I always felt the pre tension on the RA block was too low.

best regards
Chris

#28 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Nice information regarding optimizing the periodic error.
I need to measure mine and see how big the error is.
The tip with the stronger springs makes sense to me, I always felt the pre tension on the RA block was too low.

best regards
Chris

Just a note, be careful with the spring, too much tension will result in increased motor loading and greatly increased gear noise when slewing. Proper mesh is the key ingredient to lowering PE. As is reducing all play in the housing/worm to minimum, ie; zero play.

Clear skies,

Paul

#29 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

I forgot to mention an important mod while reading the thread. Just remembered...you all must have experienced the shift in the FOV if you accidentaly touch the polar scope focuser while doing a polar align?

This shift of FOV occurs when you turn the focuser element also.

Run down to your toolbox, or hardware store and grab a roll of Tefon Pipe Thread tape. Unscrew the focuser from the polar scope...wrap a turn of Teflon pipe tape around the threads and then screw it back in. Voila! The focuser is now significantly tighter in the housing, and will not shift FOV when you touch it.

This works on the SmartEQ polar scope as well, and probably any polar scope with a threaded focuser element.

Cheers,

Paul

#30 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Thanks Paul!

#31 Wembley2000

Wembley2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

Also anyone looking for a hand controller extension cable, the one for the cgem scopestuff sells will work. I had one left over from my cgem experience and it works fine.

Brian

#32 Wembley2000

Wembley2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

I sent Aeroquest Machining my ieq45 worm and Jim made me a new one. When the skies clear, I will let you all know how it goes with pempro graphs.

Wem

Finally a clear night lastnight. My results with the Aeroquest worm were very similiar to Paul's, 19 p-p error. These results were much better than my original stock worm, 51 p-p, but about the same as my replacement worm iOptron sent me. I can post graphs later today.

I am going to be putting the replacement worm back in the mount tonight as its native PE is a little smoother than the aeroquest worm.

Brian

#33 Phillip Easton

Phillip Easton

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Brian,

Thanks for the update. I went from 60 to 30 with a worm I also got from iOptron. Finally got into the 20's when I changed the spring and took more time to align. Going to put on Paul's tensioner tonight and see how it rolls ;)

#34 Phillip Easton

Phillip Easton

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

I forgot to mention an important mod while reading the thread. Just remembered...you all must have experienced the shift in the FOV if you accidentaly touch the polar scope focuser while doing a polar align?

This shift of FOV occurs when you turn the focuser element also.

Run down to your toolbox, or hardware store and grab a roll of Tefon Pipe Thread tape. Unscrew the focuser from the polar scope...wrap a turn of Teflon pipe tape around the threads and then screw it back in. Voila! The focuser is now significantly tighter in the housing, and will not shift FOV when you touch it.

This works on the SmartEQ polar scope as well, and probably any polar scope with a threaded focuser element.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the tip. Just did it to mine and it makes a huge difference when trying to focus. Also expect it to stay in focus better now as well.

Cheers!
Phillip

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics