• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FrugalAstronomer

FrugalAstronomer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Has anyone found an iPad app that will create an observing list based on criteria such as type of object, magnitude, height above horizon, etc? Astroplanner was my favorite PC/Mac software, but I've not been able to find anything even close for iPad.

#2 KidOrion

KidOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carbondale, IL

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Is this it?

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Newp.

http://www.astroplan...t/faq/faq8.html

"[I]t's very unlikely that you will ever see something of the power and complexity of AstroPlanner on a tablet computer, at least for the next few years. Due to the huge effort it would take to port the app, it's not clear that this would be a fiscally viable project given that the low prices of tablet software would probably cannibalise the desktop app sales.

NOTE: The is an Astro Planner app currently (as of 8/2012) available on the Apple App Store. However, this is not our product and we are not affiliated in any way with it."

Same name, different apps. The author of Astro Planner for Mac OS X and Windows makes a good point. If you're a developer who already has a commercial app available for Windows and the Mac, you probably make a lot more per copy for those platforms than you could on an iOS version.

On the other hand, Sky Safari started on iOS devices and now also offers a newer OS X Mac version of its app, so that perhaps argues in favor of supporting both.

I think the iPad has more than enough horsepower to handle a full-featured planning tool. I think the real reason we don't see them being ported is that most of the developers of the current generation planning apps for the PC and Mac aren't proficient developing for newer platforms.

It will come (a full featured iPad planner tool), and when it does it will make the designer a lot of money and probably displace some sales from older tools. Personally, I think it would be smarter to be the first to market with such a tool rather than potentially getting run over by the first to market.

:thinking:

- Jim

#4 KidOrion

KidOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carbondale, IL

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Interesting.

#5 daniel_h

daniel_h

Vanguard

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Skysafari has an add object to observing list, buy you have to click thru targets one by one

#6 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Michael-

You want Oberserver PRO best $10 you can spend in this hobby if you already have an iDevice.

--> ObserverPro

It is awesome! I use it in conjunction with SkySafari/SkiFI.

Al

#7 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Here is a site that works, if you have a connection.
http://dso-browser.com/

#8 Tallflyer

Tallflyer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Luminos has a lot of Catalogs in it but I haven't played with it that much.

#9 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Skysafari has an add object to observing list, buy you have to click thru targets one by one

I've mentioned this so hopefully they'll install a feature to finally let you simply punch in parameters. I especially would like this for double stars.

#10 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Is this it?

Does it work for doubles?

#11 dennyhenke

dennyhenke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fredericktown, MO

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

I use FileMaker Pro on my computer and FileMaker Go on the iPad in conjunction with SkySafari. It is an excellent combination with FileMaker serving as my primary list of objects as well as my detailed list of observations of objects. I can search and sort for any criteria at all. SkySafari is used only for finding via charts as its weakness is taking notes, sorting, searching, etc. I did purchase a red screen for the iPad though so as to avoid the light issue when switching apps.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics