• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 khobar95

khobar95

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have a sick Minitower mount. I plugged a Celestron NextGuide into the guideport assuming it was ST4, and it's not. Basically I have no motor movement. The controller lights up and looks active but I get a "Can't communicate with DEC motor controller" error.

However, I noticed the controller shows EQ, and when I go through the menu to "Set Mount Type" it shows Equatorial and I can't change it. Is this normal for this mount? The manual says it should be AltAz which is what I expected.

I did reflash the firmware but it made no difference.

I'm guessing I need a new circuit board but I'm curious to know why the mount type seems fixed on EQ.

#2 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Any chance that the NextGuide sent high, or reversed polarity DC voltage that the mount wasn't expecting? Perhaps two of the pins were shorted in the control cable, causing an unexpected short circuit in the mount?

In any event, it sounds like one of the chips took a hit. Your best bet is to probably contact iOptron.

Good luck!

#3 khobar95

khobar95

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hi Bob,

Well hindsight is 20/20, and *after* I tried the setup I went to iOptron's site where they listed an ST4 adapter. I'm guessing a chip took a hit like you said.

I will contact iOptron for sure - they were really good when I had an issue with a DEC motor before (I was able to fix that with a replacement motor from iOptron).

But I'm still wondering about the EQ. Is that normal or does it indicate that I may have other issues? I'd imagine if the controller was toast it would be really obvious.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Seems strange plugging in a wrong format ST-4 cable would cause damage. These are just switch closures. Usual result is a mount's guiding directions are wrong or it's moving in one direction continuously...

#5 khobar95

khobar95

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

I dunno why the damage occurred, but I did contact iOptron and they were very quick to reply. I told them about the hand controller showing EQ mode only and they suggested that indicated the HC was blown rather than the main board.

Sure enough, I took the cover off the HC and when powered there is a chip that gets very toasty very quickly.

iOptron has suggested I send the HC and main board in and they'll repair as needed. The pricing was quite excellent, too, so I'm going to do that.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics