• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#126 moonyguy

moonyguy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

The feeling is mutual David. Always nice to get a boost of inspiration from all the amazing things you are doing. Hope to post more often and learn more!
Vishnu

Thanks a lot to everyone who made it for the dinner. Was great to meeting a wonderful group of people and talk shop.

clear skies
Vishnu

It was an enjoyable evening with some terrific conversation. It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope that you post often!!

David

#127 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

We had a great dinner and a great discussion. The lotus garden put together a round table for us so everyone could see each other. I think we could do that again next year. We had a couple we weren't expecting and it was just great to meet new people. So, I suggest some standing guidelines to help. We'll need to remind folks of them next year:

(1) In doubt? You should come. You will be welcome. We initially had a figure 8 with capacity for 16, and then scaled back to 9 so hminsulators could be on the circle, but if there were more, there were seats.

(2) We've been able to keep this reasonably priced- I don't see us moving away from that- I don't know of a better meal waiting to be had. I vote we don't consume our Sunday sales money the night before.

-Rich

#128 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

I would consider joining what turned out to be a larger group with Alan, the vendors and many cloudy nighters that got confused between the two. On the other hand many in that group seemed more interested in a pub atmosphere so having two venues where the focus is a bit different is probably a good thing. Not sure if we could arrange that at the same place or not.... :)

Maybe we could meet for dinner then retire to one of the hotels for a BS session afterwards for those folks that would like hobnob more.

The round table was huge success though. :bow:

#129 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Uh, Ron, I'm not sure we can just show up, uninvited, at other people's dinners.

-Rich

#130 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Probably miss worded that, naturally we'd have to coordinate with the other meal as you are quite right. That would be very poor form.

#131 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

Uh, Ron, I'm not sure we can just show up, uninvited, at other people's dinners.

-Rich

Why not? :grin: And I promise to have my license and a rental car so I can be the taxi service. ;)

David

#132 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

David, in this context, the term is "Getaway car."

-Rich

#133 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

In a more serious vein, I don't know who was at this other dinner. If it was larger than ours, we're talking about going from a cozy table with everyone able to join in the conversation to over 20 people and it being a long thin table or multiple tables, and being a banquet.

Conversely, if we held the conference at the beautiful Starr Pass Marriott, there would be several restaurants to eat at, as well as a cafe and an indoor/outdoor lounge. The problems with that place is while the grounds have worked well for a star party, it isn't cheap, and nothing else is nearby- no alternative accommodations unless you get back to I-10.

Out in the East, near where we did this dinner, there is a Hilton convention center. This area of the city has many hotels of all stripes, and is the area local Tucsonans call restaurant row. It also has things like Home Depot across the street, so that last minute missing item for vendors would be available. So, in that case, it would be much easier for attendees and vendors to find something their speed, from restaurant to pub, nearby.

-Rich

#134 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

I enjoyed it! Thank you for setting that up!

#135 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

David, in this context, the term is "Getaway car."

-Rich

In that case, I'll make sure that it has some performance. :grin: It was nice having that large, round table for the gang. Makes for a very inclusive conversation.

David

#136 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: La-la land.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

I hope to be able to come, next year. I'm looking for a job in Tuscon, once I finish my Ph.D.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics