Okay, I'm baffled...CG5 tracking issue

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 Tom Andrews

Tom Andrews

Apollo

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

I realize that in any hobby user error accounts for probably 99% of the issues and it would seem logical that my problem is just that. If the 11" scope had the same problem then it would be concrete but it works to the limit of CG5 tracking. And it has worked consistently everytime where the other 2 scopes have consistently NOT worked everytime. Apparently no one else is having this problem and there are who knows how many CG5's out there with every size of scope possible.

Success! As mentioned above, the problem was user error. I finally tried ALL STAR POLAR ALIGNMENT at the recommendation of my brother and what do you know, it works! I still don't know why I got 80 second integrations through the 11"...

Here's a snapshot off the screen from last night, no processing other than Gamma, Contrast and Brightness on the Debut capture software I'm using. This one was 150 seconds (2-1/2 minutes) and showed signs of tracking error but very little. I'm not an imager per se, just interested in live viewing so this error at 2-1/2 minutes is completely acceptable. This image isn't very good but since it was through a 5" Mak with 89% moonlight and no filters, I couldn't be happier. Next item on the shopping list are LP filters.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggeestions of which I tried every one.

(Edit: I just noticed I had M31 in my notes for the image, obviously that was another user error!)

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics