Photo

First Light Takahashi FC-76 DC

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Joe H

Joe H

Vostok 1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

I purchased the FC-76DC scope used. It was purchased new in August and I recently purchased it from the original owner. I saw it in the mart and decided to give it a try. I have to come to think that 5 Lbs is about as heavy as my mount and carrying in my luggage will take so it is an interesting scope. First light showed pinpoint stars and a black background. The double double split cleanly at 56X. Andromeda Galaxy was also beautiful with a kind of a wispy look to it at 43X. Jupiter low in the sky showed the two main bands with nice color. The dimmer star in Polaris was also obvious at 43X. It seems to perform very nice. I do not take photos so I cannot comment on its photo capabilities. Some Pics and specs to follow.

#2 Joe H

Joe H

Vostok 1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Arrival: Takahashi triple boxes and so a quite large box showed up at the door. The scope is excellently packed and after unpacking here is the scope:

It is 22”” long as pictured and weighs 3 LBS 6 OZ

Attached Files

#3 Joe H

Joe H

Vostok 1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

The Dew Shield is removal

It is 17” long and just under 3 lbs with the dew shield removed. This scope is not like the Vixen 80 as far as the dew shield removal is concerned. On that scope, you can turn the dew shield around and screw it back on so you can transport it as a very short scope, on this scope because of the silver ring as shown it is not possible to turn the dew cap around and thread it back on.

Attached Files

#4 Joe H

Joe H

Vostok 1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

The focuser:
In one of the ads it is said that this is the same focuser as the FC-60. The inside diameter of the focuser is about 1 7/8” so 2” is not possible without some kind of diagonal that would thread directly onto the focuser threads (I know of no such item). So there are a couple of parts that get you to an 1 ¼” adapter.

A different feature about this telescope is that the focuser only has an 1 1/8” of travel. In comparison my Televue Ranger has almost 2 ½” of travel with its drawtube and helical focuser. So the Takahashi relies on the additional adapters to reach focus, but in one of those moments when first taking the scope out I could not reach focus with an Orion 1 ¼” diagonal because I did not have enough in focus. I contacted the previous owner and he assured me with the Takahashi diagonal it had reached focus. So looking around I happened to find that I had a shorter piece called a coupling which fits in between the visual adapter and the eyepiece adapter

Attached Files

#5 Joe H

Joe H

Vostok 1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Mounting: It is an 80 mm tube so I mounted by use of Borg 80 MM tube ring clamp. It is very light weight and works on the Astro-physics 7" bar which connects to a telepod.

Attached Files

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Very nice scope Joe.

Look forward to a second light report!

#7 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

Beautiful... looking forward to further reports.

regards
Chris

#8 F60.4

F60.4

Sputnik

• Loc: Norfolk England

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

good taste in scopes - now to work on the bedding!

#9 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

I purchased the FC-76DC scope used. It was purchased new in August and I recently purchased it from the original owner. I saw it in the mart and decided to give it a try. I have to come to think that 5 Lbs is about as heavy as my mount and carrying in my luggage will take so it is an interesting scope. First light showed pinpoint stars and a black background. The double double split cleanly at 43X. Andromeda Galaxy was also beautiful with a kind of a wispy look to it at 43X. Jupiter low in the sky showed the two main bands with nice color. The dimmer star in Polaris was also obvious at 43X. It seems to perform very nice. I do not take photos so I cannot comment on its photo capabilities. Some Pics and specs to follow.

You CLEANLY split the Double Double at 43X :bow:??
I reckon I was doing brilliantly to get a clean split at 51X- and only on a night of great seeing with my 102mm Kson.

Most nights 77X is the lowest I can go for for a clean split.

#10 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Welcome to the Tak Club.

#11 Joe H

Joe H

Vostok 1

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

After thinking about it the split of the double double was at 56X...thanks

#12 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I have a date tonight with my Takahashi and am really looking forward to it. :jump:

#13 brettisley

brettisley

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: So CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hope you're enjoying the Tak. Been thinking about a DS version. Do you have any further feedback now that you've had this ahile? Has anyone else had experience with new FC76 or compared with old versions? Thanks.

#14 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Well done Joe.
Beautiful telescope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics