Telrad Dew Shield Plus

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DonsDob

DonsDob

Explorer 1

• Loc: CT

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Has anyone used this? (http://www.optcorp.c...t.aspx?pid=4088) I assume the right angle mirror reverses/flips the image? It sounds useful as craning my neck around the straight-thru can be a pain sometimes.

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

It is just dead weight on my Telrad. I find the Telrad riser much more useful for awkward positions and now when the Telrad window dews up(although I do cover it up with the dew shield when I think of it) I just wipe it with a small cloth that I keep in my pocket. (its not expensive optical glass)

Eric

#3 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I use it. Works well. It is pricy..

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

It is indeed a mirror about the size of the window that flips out of the way, or you can flip it down so that you can view the reticle like using a diagonal mirror.

I have used it in the past. It works OK sometimes, but it is best when you are trying to center on a bright star.

Does a good job of combating dew I think, if you can remember to flip the cover over the window.

So, it works OK. Not great, but not bad either.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

Has anyone used this? (http://www.optcorp.c...t.aspx?pid=4088) I assume the right angle mirror reverses/flips the image? It sounds useful as craning my neck around the straight-thru can be a pain sometimes.

I have not used one, generally I am OK with the viewing positions the Telrad requires... One thing to be aware of is that when using the Telrad straight through you can keep both eyes open and so more than double the brightness of the sky and what you can see. With the right angle mirror, you can only use one eye and there is maybe some additional loss because it must be rear illuminated.

Jon

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

With the right angle mirror, you can only use one eye and there is maybe some additional loss because it must be rear illuminated.

Jon, I have one, and I use both eyes viewing the mirror. :shrug: It simply is a reflective view of the straight forward (normal) view of the Telrad, similiar to mirrors used with binoculars. With the mirror, you are looking down towards the scope, rather than "up" thru the Telrad. The bullseye shows up very well in the mirror. I rarely use it, however; as with the riser, it's comfortable to use the straight-thru view at all angles.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

With the right angle mirror, you can only use one eye and there is maybe some additional loss because it must be rear illuminated.

Jon, I have one, and I use both eyes viewing the mirror. :shrug: It simply is a reflective view of the straight forward (normal) view of the Telrad, similiar to mirrors used with binoculars. With the mirror, you are looking down towards the scope, rather than "up" thru the Telrad. The bullseye shows up very well in the mirror. I rarely use it, however; as with the riser, it's comfortable to use the straight-thru view at all angles.

Carol:

I see, in the photo, the mirror did not look large enough to use with both eyes.

Jon

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Jon, looking directly down on it, I've always used both eyes. Similiar to a small ladies compact mirror, they use both eyes to look at it. :grin: I suppose one could close one eye, but it's not necessary, as one is not putting their face down on it, rather viewing from a distance.

It definitely works, and would be very useful when not using a riser with the Telrad; but since I have a riser, I don't need it for the mirror.

#9 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

They work..BUT to be truthful I gave up using the mirror to be able to use it as a RACI finder...

Just way too difficult to get my eye into position to use it that way... Its easier for me to squat down or kneel down and use it as a straight thru finder and believe me once I am down on my knee I have one heck (*&%**) of a time standing back up...

The 4 inch raiser base solved most of my "physical" problems

Bob G.

#10 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

I used both eyes also. There is no need to get close to the mirror. I would usually look at it from a couple of feet away.

It could be hard sometimes to aquire the reticle when using the mirror becase when you use just the Telrad, you have a much better sense of being directly behind it.

With the mirror, it sometimes would take some head movement to get exactly over the axis of the reflection.

I agree though, works fine with two eyes.

#11 n1wvet

n1wvet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA, Earth

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

I have this option as well. The mirror works well. It keeps me from squatting in weird contortions to align a star. I usually forget to close the shield to keep dew off. So, I added resistors to the Telrad window and the back of the mirror to elimnate dew issues. It is not the best fit on the telrad. It is a little loose but OK.

#12 Fireball

Fireball

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

I have the "plus". The dew shield itself works just fine (unless it is too humid and cold) but I never used the mirror - don't need it all.

#13 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Carol:

I see, in the photo, the mirror did not look large enough to use with both eyes.

Jon

Jon, you are standing over the mirror, with your head a couple of feet above it; there would be no reason to close one eye. The mirror itself is 2" square.

#14 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Interesting product. Being someone with neck problems I've been looking for a solution for my Telrad that I use exclusively. The four inch riser has helped but after a few hours of observing I'm starting to hurt. I just completed a mod that moves the Telrad farther forward on the scope. I haven't tried it out on the field yet but here's a pic.
http://db.tt/L2HlBuqU

#15 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

You can actually stack the risers as well. A 2" riser on a 4" riser might be worth a shot.

Eric

#16 Perigny270

Perigny270

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

I use it. Works well. It is pricy..

My experience too.

#17 DonsDob

DonsDob

Explorer 1

• Loc: CT

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

THanks for all your comments - reviews seem to be mixed. I think I might try the riser first.

#18 Eric38

Eric38

Explorer 1

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I had mine about a year. The dew was not deterred. The mirror is hard to use. I prefer to sight straight through anyway. Reading some threads in the DIY forum I found some interesting designs for dew removal, here is mine.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics