• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somerville, MA/Warren, NH

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

I can't say for certain either way. In the dents it looks a bit grainy to me, like the rest of the surface... but could that be from the bead blasted surface being marked by being pressed in by being dropped on something? Or would that be completely smooth?

Anyone have a convenient way to turn a telescope into a microscope? Oh! Let me play with the macro end of my telephoto lenses...

#27 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

I can't say for certain either way. In the dents it looks a bit grainy to me, like the rest of the surface... but could that be from the bead blasted surface being marked by being pressed in by being dropped on something? Or would that be completely smooth?

Anyone have a convenient way to turn a telescope into a microscope? Oh! Let me play with the macro end of my telephoto lenses...

Look through a telescope or a pair of binoculars backwards with the object very close to eyepiece (now the objective) and it becomes a microscope.

Remove the barrel from an eyepiece with the field stop in the barrel (first making sure that the barrel does not hold the optics in place) and it becomes a magnifying loop.

If the finish were dented after the finish was applied, the denting process would have yielded (plastically deformed) the aluminum and it would have been imprinted with the surface of the object that caused the dent.

Jon Isaacs

#28 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Jon,

At least several of the dents were caused prior to finishing:

Attached Files

#29 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Sure looks like it! No question, those are manufacturing defects.

-Dan

#30 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Good to know you will be taken care of.

I got here searching because I'm interested in a travel kit too... heading to some dark-sky parks for daytime photo trips and would love to have a night-time option too.

Above is pretty disappointing, for me it's most disappointing the reaction of the AT booth...

I hope it all works out for you. Please post your results when you get it all put together!!

#31 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

To me all the issues seem to be cosmetic and not impacting performance of the unit, so if the unit works as expected, why not just keep it? Looks like the vendor has some consistent manufacturing issues so replacing one unit by another will not solve the issue. At the end of a day, we are using our equipment at night :lol:

Alex

#32 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

would you buy a new BMW with a huge dent on the fender? you can't see it from inside the car...

#33 avarakin

avarakin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

BMW is a status symbol. This mount is a scientific equipment used for taking images. Or is it also status symbol?

#34 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Ok BMW was a bad analogy. But my point is, when you pay that much money, you expect at a minimum a ding-less object.

Feathertouch recognizes this - they sell their less-than-perfect focusers as "cosmetic seconds" at a significant discount. And I accept that. You can settle for less than perfect (although fully functional) if you pay less money.

#35 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

I was going to keep this one at first, until a number of people convinced me to send it back.

One thing I find a little worrisome, more so than simple entirely cosmetic manufacturing defects, is that the first one had a bent dec tightening bolt; the second one has an unglued polar alignment scope. Both indicative of physical abuse, not manufacturing trouble. Honestly the factory packaging is lousy, these things might be shipping damage. But since the packages don't even remotely meet ups or FedEx shipping guidelines, it is not the shipper's fault....

#36 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

BMW is a status symbol. This mount is a scientific equipment used for taking images. Or is it also status symbol?

It's neither. But the condition this unit arrived in was _pitiful_. The makers don't exactly give this thing away, remember. For the prices they charge for this rig it ought, in fact, to come in a silk lined mahogany presentation box. :lol:

#37 Tori

Tori

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

I just received the third one from OPT and it arrived in perfect condition, no marks at all.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics