• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

i just recently purchased a cg5 mount and really like it. im wanting to mount the most aperture it can handle. thinking about a c11" sct. i have the mount on a concrete pier and was wondering if i would get a lot of vibration. also would all the weight scope plus counter weights would put a strain on the mount making the gears loose over time. celeston sells the cg5 11"sct combo so im thinking if they sell the scope mounted on the cg5 then it must be able to handle it over a long period of time without depleting the mounts performance. thanks, donnie

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

You will be fine for visual use with the 11.

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

If you do encounter vibration, just get a set of anti-vibration pads. These work wonders on ANY tripod, especially when used on concrete.

-Dan

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

On his pier? Now that would be a trick ... :poke:

Sorry Dan ... had to do it. :smirk:

#5 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

thanks rod, this is probably the way i will go.i dont do ap anymore, i just dont have the patience for it. would like to try video one day but just not ready to let go $1200 for a mallincam. ive messed around with a 435 for a while but from what everybody claims the mallincam is the best. thanks again, donnie

#6 dr.who

dr.who

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

I second Rod's statement. I recently have been trying this with my own C11/CG5 on a brick paver stone drive way. It is fine for visual. Without some type of vibration mitigation though you will get a 1 second+ amount of vibration but with mitigation this drops.

I also use mine with the Orion pier attachment so the legs are not fully extended. This helps with the vibrations however it does put the OTA in HARD viewing positions. I stand just under 2 meters tall (6'6") and I am on tiptoe on low on the horizon objects.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics