• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Concord, CA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

A meteor the size of a car exploded a few miles from my house last night! It created a sonic boom and broke up over the hills of Martinez, Ca. Let the meteorite hunt begin.

My astronomy club is doing a meteorite event Saturday night for the Orionid meteor shower (this meteor was not associated with the Orionid meteors). This should add some excitement to the presentation. :grin:

http://sanramon.patc...s-near-martinez

#2 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi Joe,

Are you going hunting?

Peter

#3 Dick Lipke

Dick Lipke

Viking 1

• Loc: Marine City,Mich.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

A meteor the size of a car exploded a few miles from my house last night! It created a sonic boom and broke up over the hills of Martinez, Ca. Let the meteorite hunt begin.

My astronomy club is doing a meteorite event Saturday night for the Orionid meteor shower (this meteor was not associated with the Orionid meteors). This should add some excitement to the presentation. :grin:

http://sanramon.patc...s-near-martinez

http://lunarmeteorit...all-meteor.html

#4 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Peter,

I have never hunted for meteorites before but would like to give it a try. I will see if I can get a group from the local astronomy club to setup a search. Not sure where to start? There is a lot of private land in the area it is supposed to have fallen in.

#5 peter scherff

peter scherff

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hi Joe,

Marc Fries has a website where for $40 he will tell you where the meteorite most likely fell. As he gets more info he posts updates. I think that it is a bargain. Good luck!

Peter

#6 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hi Joe,

Marc Fries has a website where for $40 he will tell you where the meteorite most likely fell. As he gets more info he posts updates. I think that it is a bargain. Good luck!

Peter

I will tell you for free, on the ground.
Anything more specific might cost you.

#7 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Dr. Peter Jenniskens from NASA is coming to our astronomy club Tuesday night to give a talk on the Sutter's Mill meteorite hunt. This is the meteorite that fell in Colma, Ca on April 22nd of this year. Evidently California is becoming a target rich environment. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about locating the fragments from this Martinez, Ca meteorite. To my knowledge no one has found any fragments yet.

#8 lintonius

lintonius

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: south-central Utah

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Dr. Peter Jenniskens from NASA is coming to our astronomy club Tuesday night to give a talk on the Sutter's Mill meteorite hunt. This is the meteorite that fell in Colma, Ca on April 22nd of this year. Evidently California is becoming a target rich environment. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about locating the fragments from this Martinez, Ca meteorite. To my knowledge no one has found any fragments yet.

Apparently the first meteorite has been found.
This just in...
http://cams.seti.org/
Linton

#9 TL2101

TL2101

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Cool!! Thanks for the info.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics