Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:38 PM
Exp. times 1, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60 and 1/125 s using my Praktica camera and Schmidt-Newtonian telescope 203/812. The film Fujicolor C200 was pushed 1 stop (because of DSO photos on it). I'm very happy with this image!
Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:42 PM
It is almost looks like it does when I see it floating in the sky.
Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:54 AM
PS I am very curious to see more deep sky photos on Fuji C200. It seems to be a very promising (and cheap!3 euros a 2 films pach) film.
Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:38 AM
Giorgos: OK, I wanted to upload the DSO's all at once, when I process them, but you are right, why to wait? I will upload something today later to here. And here you can see M 101 from the same roll.
Of course, the camera causes vibrations, but I made this shot completely for fun without big ambitions. The individual frames are sharper than this. I used to make more lunar photos with my old reflector 115/500. I realised disbalancing the telescope helps as well as pressing the tube by hand.
Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:41 PM
Nice result. Did you use the HDR function in Photoshop?
I've experimented with Photomatix. It seemed to do a good job bringing out the corona on a set of eclipse shots I took on film.
Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:47 PM
How do you set Photomatix? What characteristic curve do you use? Is it neccessary to use the same scanner settings for all of the stacked frames?
Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:31 PM
If you're going to do HDR, then yes, definitely the scanner settings should be consistent for all of the frames. As for Photomatix, I generally favor using tone mapping, but every photo seems to need individual adjustment and Photomatix is so flexible, you have an overwhelming combination of settings. Generally I try to start with one of the default combinations, and then adjust from there. After that I do more adjustment in Photoshop and/or Lightroom.
Here's an experiment I recently did on M42 using 6 frames shot on PPF-400:
M42 HDR Test
Click on the image to get to a larger version
I'm not completely happy with my color adjustment, it's noisy, and the seeing wasn't good that night, but the main purpose was to experiment with HDR on an astrophoto with a large dynamic range. It was a lot of work! First I had to register the images in Registar, align and crop them in Photoshop, merge them in Photomatix, then do final adjustments in Photoshop and Lightroom.
Even though it's a lot of work, I do think the result came out fairly smoothly merged compared to hand merging using masks in Photoshop.