3 replies to this topic

#1 ETXer

ETXer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hello All,

I guess this was bound to happen, as I hear this is a fairly common occurrence. The flip mirror lever was always in the vertical position (for eyepiece viewing) for as long as I've had this scope. So I decide I want to try my hand at some lunar and/or prime focus photography. In experimenting with the setup with my ancient 35mm SLR body, I move the lever to the horizontal position when I here something comes loose and is jiggling around inside. Sure enough, the flip mirror came completely separated from the platform it was attached to. After doing some digging on Weasner's website, I came across the following links:

http://www.weasner.c...ror-repair.html

and

http://www.weasner.c...flipmirror.html

That mirror is laying upright in front of its platform. I tried retrieving it through the eyepiece opening, no dice, I couldn't get a grip on it with my long tweezers. Is there a relatively simple way to disassemble the rear of the tube without messing up anything really important so I can easily access the mirror and glue it back in place? Perhaps I missed a link on the Mighty ETX site, but so far I can't find it... Any ideas anyone? Thanks! Allan

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Removing the focus knob and a couple of other screws on the back of the scope will allow you to slide the metal scope tube out of the mount and give you access to the flip mirror.

#3 ETXer

ETXer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Chris! Sounds easy enough, thank goodness... any suggestions for which glue to use? Is standard epoxy good enough or will something else work better?

#4 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

I use silicone or Shoe-Goo.

Let it harden thoroughly for three or more days before reassembly. Glue off-gassing can fog your optics.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics