Best Lightweight Mount for Imaging

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

actually I saw that EM11 guiding graph on the wlcastleman site.

frankly for $4325 I am not blown away. I know its not a valid comparison but I am getting better results than that, today. Albeit my mount weighs 35lb.

if that's the best one can get under 20 lbs I feel its not really worth buying the Tak. I suspect an iEQ30 can come close to that while costing less than 1/3 as much.

and the Tak polar scope is irrelevant to me. I can't see Polaris.

#27 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

Getting back to the SXW/SXD with the NexSXD board:

SXW head 15 lb
SXD head 19 lb
Tripod 12 lb
Cwt 4 lb

That's a total of 31 lb for my SXW stock setup. Because of the way it is designed (drive and electronics act as counter weight, I can mount a C6 on it and it will balance with a 4 lb cwt only half way out. It'll even manage a C8 with a single 4 lb cwt right at the end.

You could probably shave off the weight a little by cutting down the tripod columns, and make it fit in a standard luggage to boot - or iirc there's a chap in Hong Kong or Japan (?) that sells a custom plate to mount the head onto Manfrotto bowl heads (also has Tak adapter iirc) - then go for a lighter weight CF tripod.

I'm still dipping my toes into imaging with a Astrotrac Travler setup, and will get a NexSXD board when I'm ready to go up in focal length and duration.

#28 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

+/- 7 is Tak EM11 class. A lot of folks use PHD to measure periodic error and forget to turn off the guiding output. Made this same mistake and thought my GP was +/- 10 which made me really happy until... another mistake I've made is forgetting to account for declination when measuring the PE.

Here's the PE graph. I was not using PHD Guiding...my GP2 does not have guiding capability. :)

Edit: For the record, I used K3CCDTools to record the data and PEAS to create the chart.

Patrick

Attached Files

#29 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

You might have answered your own question. Perhaps the IEQ30 is the mount that you're looking for. I Have a friend who uses the IEQ45 and he is very happy with it. The craftsmanship is not at Tak level but ultimately performance is what counts the most.
I love my Rob Miller tripod but a portable pier might be better suited for your imaging latitude.....Those Vixen mounts look good tho!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics