#1 ClearSkies.eu

ClearSkies.eu

Vendor (Clear Skies)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

Clear Skies Observing Guides - A Modern Day Celestial Handbook

CSOG is a new digital astronomy publication.
Observing guides for thousands of DSO's and hundreds of carbon stars, covering all 88 constellations. Matching tours for Meade's Autostar, NexTours for use with Celestron's NexRemote, EQTours for use with EQMOD and matching planfiles for AstroPlanner. CSOG goes off the beaten track, beyond the NGC & IC, and into the Magellanic Clouds.

CSOG is available in constellation editions for three telescope aperture classes (5-6", 8-10" and 12") and in either an all-sky edition of by northern or southern hemisphere.
The 8-10" edition contains all of the DSO's in Burnham's Celestial Handbook, and more. In the 12" all-sky edition the number of DSO's in BCH is septupled.
In addition there are "Specials" for well known catalogues.

Read all about it on the Clear Skies website.

For Cloudy Nights forum members there is an introductory discount. Using the code CSOG-CN25# you will get a 25% discount on your purchase. This code is available ten (10) times, on a first come, first serve basis.

Wishing you all Clear Skies !

Victor van Wulfen

#2 WAARHEID

WAARHEID

Sputnik

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Placed my order for the 12" Northern. The discount code worked. Will report back on the download process.

#3 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Decided to try the 5-6" Northern. Discount worked here as well. I'll download after I return from vacation. Always a sucker for new observing guides. I'll have to see how this works along side Sky Tools 3. Looks interesting. With the discount it was only about $25 US.

#4 ClearSkies.eu

ClearSkies.eu

Vendor (Clear Skies)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thank you for your orders, WAARHEID and rockethead26 !
As of now (20 October, just after 22:00UTC) there are eight uses of the discount code left.

Clear Skies,

Victor

#5 WAARHEID

WAARHEID

Sputnik

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

The 12gig download took a couple of hours. Once complete, attempted to unzip - got error - "Error: central directory not found."

#6 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

My download went just fine and it also took about 2 hours for me. Fortunately, for me, the file un-zipped just fine.

Total content: 5.99 GB
Total Folders: 385
Total Files: 1810

The PDFs are really well done and are going to be a great resource. Because PDF files are vector based, you can upscale them to 600% or more to look at detail on the images of each object. These should be great on Apple or Android tablets.

The file unzips into a main index file and folders based on each constellation. Subfolders contain the tours for AutoStar, NexStar and EQ. The main folder also contains a separate constellation index and one file each for galaxies, planetaries and nebulas within that constellation. It's a huge amount of information and I love the "observing card" style presentation for each object.

Now, I just have to figure out how to incorporate these guides into my observing. It's too good not to use.

#7 ClearSkies.eu

ClearSkies.eu

Vendor (Clear Skies)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

attempted to unzip - got error - "Error: central directory not found."

Hi WAARHEID,

Sorry to hear the file does not unzip (yet). I assume you use Windows (7)? Windows can give some trouble when it comes to unzipping large files... Can you please give the application WinRAR a try? Download link: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Let me know how it works for you!

Victor

#8 ClearSkies.eu

ClearSkies.eu

Vendor (Clear Skies)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

Thanks Jim!

Yes, there are plenty of files in the edition you got, and that's "just" the 5-6" Northern one..!
I hope you get a chance to use the guides and tours soon.

All you need is clear skies now.

All the best,

Victor

#9 WAARHEID

WAARHEID

Sputnik

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

Ok, tried WinRar - at first it too gave an error. Then attempted to extract the individual folders instead of the master folder, and it worked!

Next question... What are the APD files?

#10 ClearSkies.eu

ClearSkies.eu

Vendor (Clear Skies)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

I'm glad to hear it worked!

The .apd files are the AstroPlanner planfiles. Like the tours, they match the observing guides. There's a bit more information on the Clear Skies website (planfiles page) and a lot more on the AstroPlanner website.

#11 theritz

theritz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:59 AM

I downloaded quite a lot of them. Download speed was fine. Haven't had the chance to use them much because of all the CLOUDS over here in The Netherlands.
I did use it on the Veil Nebula though and for the first time in my 3 year astro 'career' I managed to positively identify the different filaments. And I saw some additional ones as well thanks to the DSS images.

#12 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

I loaded the files into my HP 10" Touchpad and guides look great. I need to get some rubylith for the tablet and use these at the telescope along with my SkyTools observing lists.

#13 ClearSkies.eu

ClearSkies.eu

Vendor (Clear Skies)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hi all,

As mentioned on the Clear Skies website Samples page a few CSOG samples are freely available. You can visit the page to download, or click on the (identical) links below:

- Planetary nebulae in Cygnus, 8-10" telescopes

- Galaxies in Fornax, 5-6" telescopes, the second of two galaxy guides in this constellation for this aperture

- Carbon stars in Orion, 8-10" telescopes

- Open clusters in Vela, 5-6" telescopes, the second of two open cluster guides in this constellation for this aperture

- the Messier objects in Coma Berenices

- the Herschel 400 objects in Auriga

- the Dunlop objects in Centaurus

These links download a zipfile containing the sample content. All images in these samples are "true" (unmirrored, north up, east to the left).
Please feel free to post, PM or info@clearskies.eu" target="_blank any questions you may have!

The 25% download code, as mentioned in the first post of this topic is still active!

Clear Skies,

Victor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics