• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Salt Lake City, UT

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hello! I have an Atlas (non-GoTo) I bought from Orion back in 2006 and the tracking drive seems to have stopped functioning. I've gone from replacing the batteries, rebuilding the power pack, examining the circuit board, etc. and I can't seem to find the issue. The hand controller doesn't work and the LED on the mount doesn't light when properly connected to a good power source. Arggg!

Does anybody have any good ideas on what I might do or what the problem may be? I have very limited funds, Orion Customer Service was no help (they directed me to the Internet), and I'm all out of ideas.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

I am not overly familiar with the non-go-to Atlas, but failed components to look for are small inductors on the power input side and bad voltage regulatirs (usually little three pin chips)...

#3 B. Hebert

B. Hebert

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

Where does one get Atlas & Sirius mounts repaired when they go bad? Do we need to become electrical engineers or is there a convenient and reliable repair house?

BH

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

You should contact Ed at DeepSpaceProducts.com to see if he can help you. He does hypertunes for the Atlas mount and might know how to fix the electronics as well.

If you can't get it repaired (for a reasonable price) just remember that it cost you less than $250 a year to own that mount, so you got your money's worth out of it. If I can make a car last 6 years with all the miles I drive, I am pretty happy. So maybe saving for a new mount is better than pouring more money into that old one.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics