Observatory progress update

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#101 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

I installed indoor/outdoor carpet that is very smooth, so exceptionally easy to vac with my wet/dry small vacuum I keep in there.

#102 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

I concur with Carol. I've had indoor/outdoor in my observatory on a concrete floor since 1986. Looks as good today as it did then. It just doesn't outgas anymore thats all. Mike:brick:

#103 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

No padding underneath? My dogs would be screamin' after a few hours. Maybe foam floor tiles with indoor/outdoor carpet on top hmmm :thinking:

The R-panels for walls and 14 gauge 2x2's for the roof frame are coming Wednesday. I may have a roof by the weekend :jump: :jump:

#104 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Nope don't need no foam pad and don't want any. The observing throne would never roll around especially when I'm in it. I sometimes can "scootch" myself around to follow the scope movement without getting out of the chair. Three inch diameter wheels do come in handy too. I replaced the 2" ones in the pic. :grin: Mike

Attached Files

#105 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

No padding underneath?

Nope, no padding! I agree with Mikey; with padding, moving my observing chair would be difficult.

If your dogs complain, fold up a blanket for them. :)

#106 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Plywood floor, indoor/outdoor carpeting for me as well. Just gave it a good sweep the other day.

David

#107 Retsub

Retsub

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston,Tx.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Sure looks well built Mike. >you said: but before attaching the R-panels and Tekfoil insulation< wish you could look at a supply place in Duncanville (near you) at the radiant barrier that isn't the bubble material. Less chance of the moisture build up sometimes. It too gives the same 95% IR rejection from the steel roofing that is needed to help prevent the heat soak for the equipment inside and as soon as the sun goes down with good air movement to get down to ambient quickly. *BW*

#108 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

Thanks BW - got a company or product name? Are you talking about Energy Attic?

Prodex also looks interesting. Is this like what you were talking about?

Mike

#109 Retsub

Retsub

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston,Tx.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Mike, et al, look at energyefficientsolutions dot com. Lots to read and good info. Some is a vapor barrier if needed. For observatory paint many have forgotten about the ATM Book #3 with the test between white and aluminum paint. Interesting ! I have donated two types of radiant barrier for the side walls under two Ash domes with good results. Many types of material are on the market one being with a thin sheet of fiberglass inside it. Would you want some of those loose strands floating around inside your obs. ? I think not. Deeper reading can be found at the Florida Solar Energy Center with testing of different materials in buildings. Hope this all helps your fine construction project. *BW*

#110 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

We got all the 26-gauge R-panel up on the walls this afternoon. Amazing how square the building is - the panels fit perfectly and uniformly all the way around. We squirted expanding polyurethane foam into all the corners, then attached the trim. Tomorrow - roof trusses begin.

Attached Files

#111 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Another view with of the wall paneling.

Attached Files

#112 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

The door will be a custom build from 1"x1" 14 gauge steel tube. We'll work that after the roof is done.

Attached Files

#113 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Mike, that's absolutely beautiful. :bow:

#114 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

Thanks BW for the tip. Energy Efficient Solutions is in Duncanville, as you said. I'll call them Monday and discuss what I'm doing with them, and let them recommend the best product. The Foil Bubble material looks good for my application, but I'll let them say so.

Carol - YES! I love the look of that bright white R-panel. Tomorrow's the big day, when the welders build my roof framework. That's when it'll really start looking like a building. Once the roof frame is done, we can make final measurements on the R-panel. Then they'll order the matching white 26 gauge R-panel from Mueller Steel Buildings, cut to the right length.

Also, the "my dogs" I was talking previously about are my FEET! Our Corgis are at home absolutely anywhere. I may just cut some of that foam flooring and cement it onto my shoes!

Mike

#115 snommisbor

snommisbor

Viking 1

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

That is a big observatory, cant wait to see the inside with all the stuff mounted and ready to go.

#116 bloodhound31

bloodhound31

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Great work mate. I can tell you from moving from a three metre round building to a five metre round building, that you are going to LOVE the extra room! There's nothing worse than being cramped around the telescope, forever bumping, tripping and getting caught on cables in the dark.

Awesome sauce.

Baz.

#117 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

That is going to be one fabulous observatory, Mike! I love all the room.

Thanks for the photos.

Greg

#118 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thanks guys! It's 16'x18' to the outside of the floor deck, and measures 185" x 209" to the inside of the 2x4 stud walls. It's probably gonna be like any room in your house - it looks huge and empty until I start putting stuff in there, then pretty soon I'm wishing I'd made it two or three feet bigger all around!

Got the roof supports and center ridge spine welded up yesterday, cut all the rafter ends to the 13 degree roof slope, and got about half of them welded up yesterday. It was dark when we quit so I only got a few pictures. The welder's there today finishing all the rafters, then he'll order the C-channel purlins and R-paneling for the roof from Mueller. I'll put up progress pix tonight.

Mike

#119 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

This is the ridge spine welded up in place, ready to have the rafters attached.

Attached Files

#120 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Here's Ken welding up the last of the rafters. It's starting to look like a roof now!

Attached Files

#121 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Finishing up welding the rafters at sundown.

Attached Files

#122 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

So, after welding up all the rafters, we decided to try giving the roof a roll up and down the track. It moved about six feet then seized up on the track. One look down the sides of the V-groove casters told the reason: the new added weight of the rafters was bending the ridge down and the roof baseframe outwards at the middle. The ends are fully trussed and can't change their dimensions, but out in the middle, there are no trusses to hold their shape. We never figured 11 gauge 2x6 gauge steel beams could bend much in 6" plane direction, but they do! The outward bending was about 3-4 mm, enough to cause drag on the sides of the track, anyway. The attached diagram shows what is happening.

The fix is easy - use a Come-Along to winch the sides back together and parallel so that the roof rolls smoothly, then weld one ceiling joist across the central span to keep it in shape. I had originally not wanted anything across the middle to keep it nice and open, but this central joist is about 6'5" above the floor, so it won't be running into any telescopes as long as I stow them properly.

I'm glad we discovered this and will have this fixed before attaching the roof R-paneling, which will add nearly 500 pounds!

LESSON 1: 11 gauge 2x6 steel beams will bend a lot more than you think!

Attached Files

#123 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

You can temporarily jack the ridge up in several places until the flat plane of the roof panels are fully installed. The rafters can then no longer spread thereby keeping the ridge up. When raising the ridge you want to over compensate slightly so when things "settle" it will be nice and tight. ;) Mike

#124 Mark Harry

Mark Harry

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

I was thinking this might happen.

:tonofbricks:
M.

#125 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas