• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#126 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

This is probably too late but you really don't need V-Groove wheels on both tracks. If you put flat wheels and just flat stock as a header on one of the two sides then any small inconsistencies in your distance between both sides of your track become irrelevant and your roof will not bind.

#127 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Now THERE's a good idea! If I ever build another ROR I will do that.

Mike

PS: Hey Mr. Markus - any more thoughts you have that you could like maybe share with me BEFOREHAND? :)

#128 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Put in more than one center joist, it's needed.
You can't depend on roof panels to maintain the structural integrity of your roof framing.
If you wanted a cathedral ceiling, you should have put in a properly-sized ridge beam. The roof would not have sagged then.
I would recommend putting in some diagonals to prevent racking in your roof structure, too.

dan k.

#129 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Good point on the heavier ridge beam. Oh well, too late now. 'Tis what it is.

By racking do you mean bending in the horizontal plane into a parallogram?

#130 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Something else Mike. I was planning on making a ROR for my observatory and I was going to use the motor and control system from BYO. They have a fine motor and gear system but in looking at the design, many people put the motor and gear to one side. This causes and automatic torque around the center-line of your roof which will add to your bind issues. While I ultimately changed to a dome, we were planning on running the gear right down the centerline of the roof. This placement will essentially remove any torque on the mechanical system, which should also reduce the load and any wear & tear on the motor. We had planned for this with the design of the roof joists but if you have enough clearance and if you were planning on using a motor/gear system to move the roof you may want to consider this kind of placement.

Nice work though. You have a stunning building and it should be a real class setup when you are all done.

#131 Mark Harry

Mark Harry

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Sorry, Mikey, I didn't see the recent posts until yesterday.
But it immediately came to mind; 1 track with -V- grooved wheels, and the other side a flat-track. Can be quite accomodating with any variance in width or flex.
Welding ain't as precise as most dudes think. I used to straighten car axles by placing welds in strategic spots after preheating, etc with 180k psi tensile welding rods---
bla,bla.... Runouts in the .00x", etc.
Maybe next time?
M.

PS one question- did you chaulk-line the tracks to see if the welds pulled the tracks 'concave' a bit??? I find it a bit hard to fathom a triangle 'truss' flexing that badly to bind if everything is straight.....? Just an idea. :question:

#132 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

...By racking do you mean bending in the horizontal plane into a parallogram? [sic]

Mike,
Each roof slope is a rectangle now. There is nothing to prevent that from distorting into a parallelogram in the future. Corner braces or large diagonals will stop that distortion.
Large diagonals would be the strongest solution at this point.
Run two on a side, each from an outside corner to the midpoint of the opposing line of the roof.
Since one diagonal will always be in tension, they don't have to be that beefy.

dan k.

#133 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Here's Orion, rising above the finished roof frame.

Attached Files

#134 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Cygnus and finished roof frame.

Attached Files

#135 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

We got the insulation and roof on today. It was dark by the time we finished, so the full Moon made for nice illumination. Fomalhaut is peeking just over the rail.

Attached Files

#136 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Finished roof, with Cygnus setting, Delphinus above the roof, and Vega low on the horizon.

You can see one of the remaining details I need to take care of, my neighbor two houses over with a yard light shining on the building. She seems agreeable to my paying for a light shield.

Next to do: side panels on roof, install cable system to roll the roof, finish the door and apply weatherstripping. Once I know this thing is weather-resistant (but aiming for weather-proof), I'll hook up the juice, run the wiring, and build the warm room, then I'll be ready to move in.

Mike

Attached Files

#137 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Nice pictures and she's coming along nicely! Maybe I missed it, but have you given it a name?

David

#138 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Impressive build. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

#139 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

The final delivery of steel R-panels has arrived. Gonna get that up, then start squirting the building from above with the garden hose and nozzle to find and caulk water leaks. Already started painting the inside walls "Celestial Blue", similar to "Mary B"'s color. I'll start building the warm room next, then get the wiring started. Still aiming for moving in over the Christmas break. I'll post more progress pictures Thursday or Friday.
Mike

#140 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Sounds like you are building a Faraday cage. Hope you have your internet service hard wired!

JimC

#141 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Gemini

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

So worth it, if Mr. Faraday's roll-off cage will keep lightning from smokin' my Paramount and pooter!

It's about 70 feet down the hill from my house. Gonna try a 4G hot spot first. If that doesn't work, then I can mount a pair of wireless antennas. Hate to dig another trench for CAT-5.
Mike

#142 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

I have an inch of foil faced foam on my house under the siding. Wireless internet to the observatory? Nope no way no how without an external antenna.

#143 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Mike how the sky shed coming ??

#144 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Digging a 70' trench is pretty easy. You can rent a ditch witch (portable) walk behind model and be done with it in a day. Throw a line in another trench. You can do a couple of lines in case one fails too.

#145 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Been quite a while since we have seen any posts from Mike.Wondering how it is going?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics