• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: De Soto County, MS

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

If it's to be painted, use flat black enamel and a quality sable brush. It might not be a bad idea to blacken the lenses edges as well, if the lenses are removed from the objective cell for the painting of the chip, and to reduce stray light overall; the inner portion of the cell, too, if not blackened already.

There seems to be no effective way to duplicate the missing portion and assimilating it into the remainder without visual detriment. It's not the same as with ordinary glass, so painting the chip is probably the only choice.

I recently restored an eyepiece, blackening the critical areas of the light path, including the lens edges.

Cheers,

Alan

Attached Files

#52 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Huddersfield UK

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

If it's to be painted, use flat black enamel and a quality sable brush. It might not be a bad idea to blacken the lenses edges as well, if the lenses are removed from the objective cell for the painting of the chip, and to reduce stray light overall; the inner portion of the cell, too, if not blackened already.

There seems to be no effective way to duplicate the missing portion and assimilating it into the remainder without visual detriment. It's not the same as with ordinary glass, so painting the chip is probably the only choice.

I recently restored an eyepiece, blackening the critical areas of the light path, including the lens edges.

Cheers,

Alan

Andy, i get what you are thinking, makes perfect sense, it will be worth getting this old girl as good as poss, it shows huge potential, and well its just a thing of beauty :cool:

#53 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

The weakness is of the actual OTA material (thin aluminum irrigation pipe). Typical failure points include the three holes into which the screws attaching the rear assembly (focuser and extenders) are inserted. A sharp "whack" on the focuser end, such as in shipment, tends to cause the screws to rip through the thin aluminum.

What I did was epoxy on some thin metal washers over each of the mounting holes to thicken the material and add some steel (the washers I used were steel) to resist the the equally hard screw threads in the event of focuser impact. I don't believe that I have a post reinforcement image of the focuser end, but next time it's nice and I have the Antares out, I'll get some pictures of the washer-fix.

Regards,

Jim

#54 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

I did the exact same fix Jim described. My scope arrived with the holes ripped. The fix looks like a factory job and the damage is invisible and of no consequence.
Bill

#55 plyscope

plyscope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

This European vendor lists the Antares 105/1500 lens in cell for sale. If my calculation is correct the export price is approximately $430 USD plus postage.

Antares Elite objective

#56 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

This European vendor lists the Antares 105/1500 lens in cell for sale. If my calculation is correct the export price is approximately $430 USD plus postage.

Antares Elite objective

I spotted that, but its nearly twice what i paid for the entire OTA :shocked:

#57 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

I now have the HEQ5 syntrek mount , all set up with power. Im hoping to remove the aperture mask on thursday for the full moon, and find out if the chip affects the view, might take a couple of lunar image`s and post them here

#58 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

We'll be looking forward to your findings, sir.

Cheers,

Alan

#59 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I only just found this thread, Jules...

First off congrats on your little project. It sounds to me that with the chip blackened (and perhaps the lens edges too) you are going to really enjoy that scope - and obviously arleady are, even with the damage.

The HEQ5 Syntrek is a great mount. I'm glad I got mine last year, originally for my 6" f8 achro, but it also serves splendidly with all my OTA's (even the 60mm f13 Swift!)

Reading up on some of the stories told here, I may as well share the fact that a couple of years ago I owned a selection of ED refractors, including a lovely tasty 90mm f6.6 triplet from Telescope Service in Germany that was a superb instrument, and probably a better performer than I ever needed.

Fast forward to now, and I currently own a big medium f-ratio achro, a semi-classic 90mm f14.4 achro, a classic 60mm f13 achro, and have just sold a rare 80mm f12.5 achro, as well as previously, a 80mm f11 achro.

My tastes changed round about the time I acquired the 6" f8 and put so much time and effort into it. It showed how good an achro could be, and revealed that colour correction is not the be all and end all of a good telescope.

Hence the long pointy tubes I now own.

My enjoyment of the 90mm especially is immeasurable, and I'm constantly surprised by the quality of the 60mm Swift as well.

Inspired by these scopes, I'm currently assembling a Carton 60mm f16.7 from parts supplied by Richard at Skylight, and am really looking forward to seeing how well a self-built scope with relatively easily obtained, yet high quality, parts, can perform...!

Clear skies to all!

Ant :cool:

#60 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Ant:

"Inspired by these scopes, I'm currently assembling a Carton 60mm f16.7 from parts supplied by Richard at Skylight, and am really looking forward to seeing how well a self-built scope with relatively easily obtained, yet high quality, parts, can perform...!"

I've built up three of the Carton 60/1000s using vintage, baffled Carton white enameled tubes, modern 1.25" R&P focusers and Towa cells and dew shades for two and a Carton cell for the third.

I've had these up against several vintage 60mm scopes from other makers (Towa optics mostly) and the Carton glass kicks arse by comparison. I use the best of the three all the time for showcase double star observing in the back yard. A Carton and a nice Ortho is all you need for endless fun.

I'd love to see a picture of your project when you complete it.

- Jim

#61 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hi Ant, did not know your user name on here, like Jim says, i will be happy to hear updates on your 60mm carton home build, i would love to get the carton 100 f13, Hmm new project

#62 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've just built a scope around the Carton 100mm f/13
and I'm testing the lens at the moment. From what I
have seen so far, the Carton is one very impressive lens.
I have used quite a few APO's, and own a TSA 102,
and I am extremely pleased by this Carton lens.

Attached Files

#63 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

I now have a new finder scope for the 105..........to complete the "unitron" feel, i have got an old tasco ateroid vary power to fit along side the ota, once mounted it should work pretty well

#64 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

That deserves a motorised equatorial.

The Skylight 4" f/15, forthcoming in future, is appearing more and more desirable.

Alan

#65 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

With a bit of luck, this post should contain my first lunar image taken with the 105mm....at full chipped aperture, just a quick single shot with micro four thirds dslr

Attached Files

#66 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Nice pic, seem's that the chink does not cause trouble.

I retouch your pic with your permit ion :-) I can delete it if you want.

Attached Files

#67 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I am happy with the image being tweaked, it was just a quick shot, badly focused

#68 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Well, the OTA extension is done, machined out of ali billet, and i have changed the dove tail to a shorter one to help stability, will post a couple of pics showing the extension when i get a chance, big thanks to Phil for making the extension, he put a lot of time and effort into it

#69 philjay

philjay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK Derby

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

It looks like a real scope now Jules :)

Good images BTW, prefer the tweaked, a bit more contrast

Phil

#70 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I am happy with the image being tweaked, it was just a quick shot, badly focused

Not so bad Jules, look the result :D

#71 nightfisher

nightfisher

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

An update on this old long scope, i struggled to use it, due to the length, so had it up for sale, then a well respected astronomer, Peter drew suggested a Hargreaves strut, my first though was "is this an alternative to the foxtrot" but a quick look on google revealed a rather clever idea to brace the scope, so keeping it and seeing if i can get it mounted better (HEQ5)

#72 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I've been wanting to make a strut. Let us know your results.
Thanks, Bill

#73 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

S&T had an article on the Hargreaves strut many years ago. Great option to tame vibration on a scope with a long moment arm.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics