My name is Brandon...

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#76 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I was thinking about getting a Brandon before the new year price increase but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. A hair better than a BGO or Kasai HC on axis for $100 more just doesn't do it for me. What I like about orthos is the entire FOV is sharp and well corrected. I've got a order in at OPT for a 18 BCO and may get a 12 Kasai HC. David

#77 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

I couldn't swear that Brandons are any sharper than BGO's on-axis, at least not for the planets. Different, complimentary, yes. Sharper? I don't think so.

Many double star enthusiasts prefer Brandons. Maybe if I were more enthusiastic about double stars I'd prefer Brandons, too. But I'm not and so I don't. :shrug:

I've never bought a new Brandon. All of mine are used. But some of my BGO's were bought used, others new. IMO, when the BGO's were available new, they were a much better value for the money than Brandons. Just my two cents.

Mike

#78 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I was talking to Chris at OPT and he said the Kasai HCs-same as BGOs-contrary to some post here were going to be available though the 18 and 6 probably weren't coming till spring. He also said the Kasai HCs sold out in Japan very quickly which is good news for ortho fans. David

#79 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I couldn't swear that Brandons are any sharper than BGO's on-axis, at least not for the planets. Different, complimentary, yes. Sharper? I don't think so.

Many double star enthusiasts prefer Brandons. Maybe if I were more enthusiastic about double stars I'd prefer Brandons, too. But I'm not and so I don't. :shrug:

Hi Mike. In my limited experience, the Brandon and BGO are equally sharp on axis, and also off axis at least on a f/10 8" SCT, f/13 4" and a f/20 2.4" refractors. I am hoping to see if I can notice any off-axis difference this evening with the 8" SCT at f/6.3 and eventually give them a comparison in the 6" f/4.8 Comet Hunter.

Where I am seeing the difference is in contrast. Not sure it is an extra ~100$ worth of contrast, but nevertheless it is there, at least in my eyes and equipment. Or maybe i just fell victim to Brandon fever. :flame:

#80 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

I tend to think that the perceived enhancement in contrast for Brandons over BGO's is due to a difference in coatings. The BGO's are fully multi-coated - with "Phantom Coatings", no less :grin: - while the Brandons are merely fully coated. Vernonscope claims the simpler coatings on the Brandons are designed to reduce narrow angle scatter, thereby enhancing visibility of low contrast detail on planets. This may or may not be the case. I couldn't swear to it by my own experience.

What I think the simpler coatings on Brandons do is increase perceived contrast in DSO, for instance, allowing more structure to be seen in M42. But the same thing could be accomplished by screwing a DSO filter onto a fully multi-coated eyepiece. Personally, I'd rather use the filter. (My favorite technique is to load up a filter wheel with DSO filters and switch among them to get the best effect for each specific nebula.)

Mike

#81 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I sold out, er sold my BGO set tonight for almost enough to complete the basic Brandon set.

Now, about that 48mm Brandon...

#82 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

Brandons are very good for double stars (so I've heard) and the Moon (yes).

Mike

#83 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Brandons are very good for double stars (so I've heard) and the Moon (yes).

Both are my favorite targets from the backyard. I see you don't have the 48mm Brandon listed in your signature. Reading some of the comments from various threads, it appears many folks love that EP and that it may not have been in stock again until recently.

#84 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I think I'll pass on the 48mm Brandon. It's really too long a focal length for my Dobs. I have a Titan-II ED 40mm that is the lowest I'll go for them, and it's a very nice eyepiece. I could use the 48mm Brandon in my 150mm Mak, but I mostly view planets and Moon with that scope, so a low-power wide-field would be wasted on it.

I don't feel a compulsion to get every entry in any series of eyepieces. I don't have the 4mm Brandon, either. If Don comes out with a very fine version of that one, though, I could change my mind. :ubetcha:

Mike

#85 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I am having a little tinge of seller's remorse over selling that 40mm Titan-II ED. At least it found a good home.

#86 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

:waytogo: :grin:

#87 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

I tend to think that the perceived enhancement in contrast for Brandons over BGO's is due to a difference in coatings. The BGO's are fully multi-coated - with "Phantom Coatings", no less :grin: - while the Brandons are merely fully coated. Vernonscope claims the simpler coatings on the Brandons are designed to reduce narrow angle scatter, thereby enhancing visibility of low contrast detail on planets. This may or may not be the case. I couldn't swear to it by my own experience.

It may also be due to the superior polish of the Brandon elements.

What I think the simpler coatings on Brandons do is increase perceived contrast in DSO, for instance, allowing more structure to be seen in M42. But the same thing could be accomplished by screwing a DSO filter onto a fully multi-coated eyepiece.

I don't think so. Since you're starting from a superior baseline, and adding the same filter in each case, I'd think the Brandon would be that much better again.

#88 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

The Brandon 12mm and 48mm are on their way to my EP case!

#89 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'm starting to rethink my simple eyepiece buying program. It might make more sense to go with a 24 Brandon now rather than 2 orthos for the same price. After all Brandons are going to jump up by a fair margin price wise not so with the BCOs and Kasai HCs. With my barlow-Powermate collection I can can cover all the bases lunar-planetary wise with my cats but not in my WO ZS-110. I could get a 9 ortho for the ZS later on for that. The 24 Brandon would as someone said do double duty for DSOs and lunar-planetary. As to DSOs M42-43 one of my favorites. David

#90 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'd really like to try one of the 40mm Titan ED IIs. I have the 30mm and it is one of the worst corrected 2" eyepieces I've ever used. It's horribly astigmatic even at a modest f/7 and still noticeably astigmatic at f/8.6. I'd assumed that the 30mm and 40mm were the same design, but the positive reviews of the 40mm now leads me to suspect otherwise.

Regards,

Jim

#91 bcuddihee

bcuddihee

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Santa...Mrs Claus might see to it that I receive a couple of 32 Brandons in my stocking this year. Not saying its a definite, but ...I've been a good boy this year.

#92 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Rick,

What I think the simpler coatings on Brandons do is increase perceived contrast in DSO, for instance, allowing more structure to be seen in M42. But the same thing could be accomplished by screwing a DSO filter onto a fully multi-coated eyepiece.

I don't think so. Since you're starting from a superior baseline, and adding the same filter in each case, I'd think the Brandon would be that much better again.

A similar effect for nebulae can be seen in other eyepieces which have simple coatings. An example is the Sirius Plossl line. I don't think the Sirius Plossls represent a superior baseline.

Mike

#93 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'm excited to at long last getting a Brandon! A Kasai HC or BCO isn't going to give me anything my XWs and such don't image wise. Not so with a Brandon. Jupiter is one of my favorites and it's all about contrast. The Moon is also in the top tier. The image in a friends 3.5 Questar using Brandons 40 years ago is vivid to this day. The 24 Brandon used with my Powermate-barlow collection will give me a excellent range of DSO powers in my WO ZS-110. I'll be able to get it up to 170X in the ZS which I like for the Moon and Jupiter. David

#94 chrisg

chrisg

Mariner 2

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Dscarpa! Please report your impressions of the Brandon on Jupiter when you can! I'm also thinking of getting some Brandons for the same reason! :rainbow:

#95 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

Contrary to the New Eyepiece Curse a spell of cloudy wet weather is forcast to break about the time I get the 24 Brandon if I order first thing Monday. The 12mm-11.5mm FLs I get with it used with a 2X TV barlow is great for Jupiter in my C-9.25.and IM-715D. David

#96 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

The 12mm, 48mm and clouds arrived today. The 8mm is on its way via FedEx. Fingers crossed for the 32mm and 24mm before New Year, and perhaps even the Dakin barlow.

#97 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

By the way, the 48mm I received has the slanted font lettering, while the vernonscope web site shows a normal font. Anyone know off hand if there are is any optical difference between these two releases?

#98 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

This thread may be getting old in the tooth but I have two questions.

First, I have collected the funds for another Brandon. Since I am not sure if I can order another until after New Years, should I get the 24 or 32 mm?

Second question is regarding the Dakin Barlow. It appears that this highly rated barlow only has set screws? I have determined that I can deal with the 8 mm Brandon ER fine, so I am wondering if a TV x2.5 Powermate would be a better overall choice, ergonomically and optically? I also have a DFK 31AU03 camera arriving that would also be used with this barlow or powermate, and suspect the powermate may be the best all-around choice?

Question #1 is not too important, I will make a decision later this evening so I have my order in for a possible Christmas eve delivery. Fingers crossed I raise the funds for the last Brandon EP before the New year price increase.

Question #2, guidance appreciated.

#99 ColoHank

ColoHank

Vanguard

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

First, I have collected the funds for another Brandon. Since I am not sure if I can order another until after New Years, should I get the 24 or 32 mm?

The 24mm. It's not by accident that Questar includes it as standard equipment with its 3.5" scopes.

#100 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

The 24mm. It's not by accident that Questar includes it as standard equipment with its 3.5" scopes.

Good enough for me, even if Jim sez the 24mm is the least "Brandonesque" of all Brandons! :grin: Next choice will be easy, 32mm or bust.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics