Anyone have an XX16g on the way?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Anxious for some first light reports. Still waiting and thinking....

Anyone got one shipped yet?

#2 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

Seems to be a bit heavy to me. I'd rather find a used premium 16 inch with the finding and tracking. May cost a little more, but I think it would be worth it. 200 pounds may be OK if you have it permanently mounted somewhere. But that's some crazy weight even for a 16. I'd also be a little concerned if all the mechanics of these designs scale well with that much of a weight/size increase. But that's more of a hunch than any basis of fact.

However, I can say a 16 inch scope in dark skies can be very very special. It's a nice step up from a 12 inch.

#3 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

I'm curious as well, noticed they'd bounced the ship date around a little, this mornin' says the 27th. I was thinking to pre-order but I've never bought anything first round and untested.

#4 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

I think and hope that Orion got the bugs inherent in a new product rollout worked through on the xx14g and simply scaled up for the xx16g. I know the initial xx14gs had some cluitch and mirror mounting issues which one hopes were integrated into the xx16g design. The one encouraging sign is that they have only slipped delivery dates on the 16 by a week; when the 14 came out they slipped several months before full production and delivery began.

#5 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Nobody?

Looks like my finances may delay any purchase I was going to make.... but still wanna know!

(It'd be a shed scope at my house, so weight is not a problem)

#6 gene williams

gene williams

Sputnik

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

If it is anything like the XX14g, then it will be a winner. Yes, it is heavy, but it breaks down into easily manageable components. The weight can also be viewed as a benefit to smooth hand guiding and vibration-free viewing.

#7 kharrison

kharrison

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

OK, I confess. I ordered one. I plan on using it with a MallinCam at public observing events. Of course "ordering" and "getting" are two different things. They just pushed the ship date to 12/6.

#8 Wcclower

Wcclower

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Terrell, Texas

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

I was at my dealer yesterday, The Observatory in Dallas, Tx and they had a brand new XX16G on the floor that they had oredered for a customer. Very surprising as it took them 6 months to deliver my XX14G a little over a year ago. They did say Orion was "very quick" to get the XX16G out. Impressive scope but my 14 is near too much for me to carry from inside my house to my observation area and then back at the end of the night.

#9 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Those are some crazy heavy scopes. Best for a permanent location vice transport. Believe they weigh about 2 times the amount of normal truss scopes. That's something to consider for sure.

#10 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

OK, I confess. I ordered one. I plan on using it with a MallinCam at public observing events. Of course "ordering" and "getting" are two different things. They just pushed the ship date to 12/6.

Guess I don't have to feel bad about not having the money to order one just yet!

Anxiously awaiting your first impressions.

#11 kharrison

kharrison

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I was at my dealer yesterday, The Observatory in Dallas, Tx and they had a brand new XX16G on the floor that they had oredered for a customer. Very surprising as it took them 6 months to deliver my XX14G a little over a year ago. They did say Orion was "very quick" to get the XX16G out. Impressive scope but my 14 is near too much for me to carry from inside my house to my observation area and then back at the end of the night.

The one at The Observatory is mine. I picked it up last Friday (11/9) but weather and work have conspired to prevent first light. I hope to have it out by this weekend and I will post a review.

It has filled up my PT Cruiser pretty much. No single piece was very difficult to pick up, even given the wimpy nature of my arms. Orion said the base is the heaviest piece but if you leave the counterweights attached the mirror box becomes the heaviest piece (I know, duh!).

#12 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

dang, there goes my trip to dallas to see it in person this weekend, lol. Congrats and we all look forward to the first light report!

Andy

#13 Wcclower

Wcclower

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Terrell, Texas

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Congrats Kharrison! You will love it. I really love my 14. And you couldn't be dealing with a better bunch of guys. I have a great relationship with Rick, Frank, and Marcus. Hollar back if you want some advice for dark skies around the Dallas area.
Craig

#14 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Did you have much trouble hoisting the assembled base, or did you break it down for transport? Be most anxious to hear first light report, especially how much step-up is required for viewing near zenith.

#15 kharrison

kharrison

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

We broke down the base to put it in my car. It would be about 100 lbs assembled. If the weather cooperates I plan to take it out Friday/Saturday. If I did it right, the attached picture of it has a 12" dob in the back.

Attached Files

#16 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Holy *BLEEP*! That's a 12" dob tube in the back? Then it is HUGE.

*drool*

#17 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

As a side note, my wife told my 5 year old son that we can't get me the telescope I want for Christmas because we don't have the money right now.

My son said, "Well why don't we have Santa get it for him?" My wife explained that Santa only gets stuff for boys and girls and not adults.

My son asked, "So can I ask for the telescope for Christmas and then give it to Daddy?"

That's a good boy I have there! :D :D

#18 pstarr

pstarr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

As a side note, my wife told my 5 year old son that we can't get me the telescope I want for Christmas because we don't have the money right now.

My son said, "Well why don't we have Santa get it for him?" My wife explained that Santa only gets stuff for boys and girls and not adults.

My son asked, "So can I ask for the telescope for Christmas and then give it to Daddy?"

That's a good boy I have there! :D :D

Sounds like the kids learning how to work the system. :grin:

#19 zipthelipp

zipthelipp

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bayside NY

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

Thats sweet good luck

#20 TexasRed

TexasRed

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

I am soooo jealous!

#21 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Any first light this weekend?

#22 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I agree, 200lbs is acceptable if you are talking about a 25-inch, but that is ridiculously heavy for a 16-inch. My 15-inch assembled weighs 120lbs, and that is because I have a heavy battery in the base. Just the telescope alone is about 100 lbs. That is much more reasonable for a 16-inch.

Taras

#23 kharrison

kharrison

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

I finally had first light! I have a park near my condo with only one light which is blocked by trees. However, surrounding stadium lights upped the light pollution quite a bit (I couldn’t make out all the starts in Cassiopeia). It didn’t matter that much because I was mainly interested in the mechanics of the setup. It is heavy and I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone with back problems. Assembling the base went quickly. After lifting the base piece out of my car I rolled to the setup location, so that wasn’t so bad from a weight standpoint. Putting the lower tube into place was a little more difficult because I leave the counterweights attached. Still was able to line up the fittings between the base and tube on my first try. The only non-captive bolt on the whole scope which locks the tube to the base took about five minutes to install. I had to shift the tube around a little before the holes lined up. The struts went on without any trouble. The upper tube is what took the longest. I suppose the main problem was trying to get the bolts and the holes to line up. It was twilight by this time and was mainly trying to do it by touch. I finally wised up, held a flashlight in my mouth and visually lined things up. That process took half the setup time, which was one hour. I’m sure I’ll get faster with practice.

Aligning the scope went quickly and the go-to was dead on for the rest of the evening. Using the 28mm wide field eyepiece that came with the scope I could see M32 for the first time. Went over to the Ring and it was quite visible in the eyepiece, even though it was close to the moon. Went to the blue snowball and could tell it was really blue. I went to the Pleiades with my 41mm Panoptic and they were exceptionally bright and distinct. I could see the Saturn nebula clearly with an 8mm Ethos. With the Ethos again I went to M15 and could clearly make out individual stars, no grey fuzzies. Overall, considering how bad the skies were, I was pretty impressed. I can’t wait to get it to some really dark skies!

Take down also took about an hour, including packing all the peripherals. I had trouble with a bolt on one of the struts. It didn’t want to turn. I got it out eventually but the retaining washer snapped off. I haven’t tried to reattach it yet.

Overall, it went pretty smoothly for a first time out. It was quite a workout for a couch potato like me. I’m a little sore today. Weather permitting I’ll be out again on Tuesday. I’ll see if I’m any faster then.

#24 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

That's what I was waiting for - thanks so much for the post! Nice to hear good word about the initial align and goto. Nice variety of objects and ep's - :) Appreciate caution about 'those with back issues'.

One thing I own that's been a big help is a head light / helmet light that is popular with bicycle riders, mine has 4 settings one being red LED, pivots in the up-down. Great for light where you want it with use of both hands and mouth.. ;)

Again, thankls for the informative post!

#25 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Sounds about like what I was expecting. I'm sure setup gets easier with practice.

I'd recommend one of these headlamps. It makes my setup so much easier:
http://www.amazon.co...sr_1_55?ie=U...

It always defaults to turning on to red. You have to hold it down to get to white light so you never accidentally blind yourself!

The views also sound very good. I had a decent night out camping the other night with my 8" SCT. But a lot of the galaxies were just faint smudges and despite good seeing I was still wanting MORE for Jupiter.

We will see. Money it tight right now and not sure I could convince the wife to take the beast camping! :p

Still drool worthy though!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics