•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pier for Vixen Polaris & LX200

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Rose

Nick Rose

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

I got into contact with a contractor at my local airport (San Francisco International Airport)and they have some scrap metal from some demolition there doing at the airport. She sent me 2 pictures of the pipe that is scrap. It is the main line of the sprinkler system.

Would this be a good size pipe for my Vixen Super Polaris with the 6" Reflector and later a LX200 12" or 14"? I'll have them cut me a 5' section but I will probably later on maybe have the final height at 3'.

Posted Image
DSCF6028 by Nick R2006, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCF6030 by Nick R2006, on Flickr

#2 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yep, you're there as long as the rust isn't too bad (hard to tell from photo). All you need is a welder to attach some robust end fittings.

-Rich

#3 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

That wold hold more than the two mounts mentioned. Clean it up with some steel wool than a coat of Rustoleum. Looks like the pipe is about 10 feet long, so bury 4 or 5 feet and leave the tube HOLLOW above ground.

BTW, If I were you I'd look on Ebay for a 2-3 inch thick by 9 inch round that would become your top plate. Have a machinist trim the round for a slip fit, and drill and tap the pipe for 6 grub screws. That way, if you ever went with another mount all you'd have to do is drill mounting holes in the plug.

#4 Nick Rose

Nick Rose

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

I think the tube is more then 10' but they do have one that is closer to 9'. Its a few hundred pounds so I need to see if any of my friends can go to the airport to lift the beast.

#5 Nick Rose

Nick Rose

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

I lucked-out with the pipe. They are giving it to me for free. So all I to do is to pick it up and then later on have one of my friends cut it to length and weld the top and bottom plates on.

#6 Geo.

Geo.

Soyuz

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Probably better steel than you'll find today. A lot of pipe is now imported. By the time they'd hauled it to the scrap yard for $0.10 - 0.15 a pound they'd be losing money. The kindness is ignoring any possible liability in giving it to you. Their insurer won't be happy=8(

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics