Tempest Cooling System

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

I was just reading the thread about the Lymax system and the Dew Control thread as well. It got me wondering.

Does anyone have experience with the Tempest System?

Does the Tempest system have any effect on dew forming?

Thanks

Al

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have been running a Tempest system (non Faststar) on my C14 since last December. A remarkable improvement over the passive cooling provided. I also used a Lymax with good success. The Lymax downside is having to remove the cooling unit to use the scope. The Tempest fans show no vibration or anything else I can detect, even when imaging the planets at F/30. For some reason the fans have stopped working. I need to take them out and see if maybe a connection worked loose. It could be my cable as well. I should be seeing Ed Thomas in the next few weeks, so if I can't get them to work by then I'm sure he'll see what I'm missing. All in all...thumbs up! As far as dewing, if the air is moist and you are circulating moist air around the optics I'm sure it would contribute to dewing. Here in Arizona, moisture isn't as big a deal as rapid temperature changes. Hopefully someone else has more experience.

HTH.
Paul

#3 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Paul,

Did you do the retrofit yourself or did you have Ed do it?

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I did it myself. On the newer C14 (Edge tubes) the passive vents unscrew and Ed's fans fit exactly correctly. I used a very long cable tie to feed the wires from one vent hole to the other. Everything fit so well, it only took me about 5 minutes to get it done.

Paul

Paul,

Did you do the retrofit yourself or did you have Ed do it?

#5 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I really think the Tempest system is the way to go. Do you have photo of it in use?

Thanks

Al

#6 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

I wish Ed could make larger bulkier fan units that protrude out from the OTA and have larger fans. As it is, his flush mount ones are rather anemic and very, very slow to cool things down. (I don't want to use the one that goes into the secondary mirror housing because I don't want to remove my secondary mirror housing.)

#7 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

I made my own with dual 30mm fans on one side. I also use a "pot" (GPU) fan controller) to control the fan speed.

I now have ED's (dsp) tempest system. I have yet to install it.

There are factors with fan size, fan speed, vibration, etc. i'm not sure where in this application a high RPM fan would help cool down the rear of the SCT. Just low volume air flow is all you need. Tested with IR thermometer. Im sure different locations and climate are a factor.

#8 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm not sure if you have a set of the TEMP-est fans or not. I can custom make other designs, however, the 25mm fans work quite well and without vibration. Several of them in combination (4 work well in a retrofitted C14) move quite a bit of air. Remember that you are exchanging a relatively small volume of air (less than 3 cu.ft.) so that four 3 cfm fans (2 in, 2 out) will exchange that air quickly and provide very good temperature equalization. Another advantage of smaller fans is that they can be installed in relatively small round holes which are much easier to make in metal. Round holes for larger fans start to get prohibitively large and cutting square holes is far more difficult without large milling equipment.

I can get larger maglev fans but I suspect that eventually you will start to see vibration. If you want to only use fans for initial cooling and not use them during viewing or imaging, then that would make no difference. But remember, eventually it starts to be like using a wind tunnel for a leaf blower, it does the job but it is simply overkill. Contact me with what you would like.

#9 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

I have the Tempest System in an Edge 14, one in and one out. It works. Cooling down in 30 minutes, the tube currents disappear, and the fans run all night. No vibration seen in star images at very long focal lengths. High resolution possible in planetary imaging, even with dropping temps, common here where humidity is often single digits. You can feel the air coming out - that is enough in my experience.

See my recent post for proof:
http://www.cloudynig...Number/5485883/

I have no interest in Ed's business other than wishing its good fortune. :)

Glenn

#10 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

That's a nice photo.....no, what am I saying.

Good Gravy, Margret! I'd say it works!

High time I ordered myself one of those for the C11.

#11 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Glenn,

Your images continue to amaze me. It's obviously imaging time now that we have finally got past the monsoons.

#12 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

So these fans are installed by the user? I have a C11 HD coming (hopefully soon) and I'd like to do this.

#13 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

I wish Ed could make larger bulkier fan units that protrude out from the OTA and have larger fans. As it is, his flush mount ones are rather anemic and very, very slow to cool things down. (I don't want to use the one that goes into the secondary mirror housing because I don't want to remove my secondary mirror housing.)

You want this 8000 rpm monster.

http://www.cloudynig...4819517/Main...

Unfortunately, I've yet to come up with a business plan to market it so you have to build your own. :lol:

Tanveer.

#14 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

So these fans are installed by the user? I have a C11 HD coming (hopefully soon) and I'd like to do this.

Yes, the fans are designed to be easily installed by the user with no modification to the scope besides the removal of the original vent covers.

#15 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hi Ed

Looking forward to seeing you at NEAF and picking up a set of these fans. The standard vents although better than nothing, do not allow the edge scope to cool down very fast. Passive cooling is in one word, waiting. Some nights, it never catches up with the temp drop.

#16 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks Ed, these are definitely on my list of things to do as soon as my Edge arrives... I HATE WAITING! LOL! ;)

#17 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

So, in a Edge 14" application, does the wire from one fan to the other come with the purchase? And how is it attached to the fans by me? Solder? Or?
Any recommended power supplies with a cigarette end?
Thanks
Bob

#18 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Everything you need comes with the unit. The wire goes from one fan to the other. You feed it through the end of the C14 (I used long cable ties as a guide). Then the end of the wire plugs into a socket on the other fan. If I can do it, anyone can do it...

I use a 12v Radio Shack power supply. My power wire doesn't have the lighter end and I just wired it on the wiring jacks on the power supply. Works like a champ!

Ed's instructions are very detailed.

Paul

#19 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

So, in a Edge 14" application, does the wire from one fan to the other come with the purchase? And how is it attached to the fans by me? Solder? Or?
Any recommended power supplies with a cigarette end?
Thanks
Bob

The fans are extremely easy to install. Takes about 5 minutes. Just remove the stock vent covers, drop the cable through the back of the scope from one side to the other, connect the fans to the cable with the quick connections, then attach the fans with the original vent screws.

Any 12VDC power supply or cable will work. You choose the connector size, 2.1mm (Celestron standard) or 2.5mm (Meade standard). The fans require very little power to run.

#20 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

I installed a pair on my C11 in about 15 minutes. Very explicit instructions, I used the string ane weight method without taking the scope off the mount. No vibration all all at F30, next time I will be trying F50. I have not used mine extensively but I am very impressed with this retrofit. Think about buying the front fan when you order. I did and thought it was a good deal.

Ed

#21 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

thanks Ed, Ed and Paul. time to do an order.
Bob

#22 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I bought a used C11 EdgeHD with the Tempest fans installed. I am amazed how much better planets are at higher powers. I mostly blamed seeing on lack of scope equilibrium. I live downwind to the Sierras so seeing can be a problem also.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics