• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 astropaz

astropaz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

Hi all,

This may be a long shot but I know there are a few Belgians here and was wondering if anyone has had any success with problem lighting, whether it be getting a shield in place or some other action taken.
I can't even get a response from my local gemeente.

I'm also curious as to whether I would be in my rights to as a renter and not a home owner, my landlord does not like the idea of anything shielding the light but is the decision his to make or mine?

I suspect there would be other factors to consider as well like shutters on the windows amongst other things but I really don't know what the correct process is or if there is one at all. I wouldn't imagine it would be an easy process.

So if anyone has had any experience or advice then I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading.

Paz.

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi Paz, welcome to Cloudy Nights! Glad to have you join us on the forums!

I'm also curious as to whether I would be in my rights to as a renter and not a home owner, my landlord does not like the idea of anything shielding the light but is the decision his to make or mine?

It would depend on any agreements between you & your landlord, you would have to research this yourself.

What light are you referring to? One on the dwelling, or a yard light? Perhaps if you were to discuss with the landlord about you purchasing a more LP friendly light, or a motion sensor & have it installed, the landlord may be more acceptable.

#3 astropaz

astropaz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Carol,

The light is a street light out the front, sorry I should of mentioned that. In fact there are a couple of them but I'd be more than happy if it was only one light that was shielded or better yet lowered as it really just lights up the yard unnecessarily.
I'm not overly certain that anything like that would of been covered in our contract as it's not on the property.

Like I said I haven't been able to get a response from our council to even point me in the right direction, whether it's an issue for them or whoever it is that maintain the lights.

There are a couple of anti-LP organisations I was planning on contacting but I was wondering if others know of the process here. Knowing Belgium and there love for lights it could be a very long and drawn out experience. Is it worth the hassle or is it not going to be as hard as I think it will be.

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Since it's a street light, the utility company? that owns the light would be the one to contact.

#5 astropaz

astropaz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I would of thought that too but from what little info I can find it mentions all local councils have an environmental protection department and they are the ones normally to tell or the police which is overkill for an annoying street light. It sounds like it sets off a whole chain of paperwork too.

Maybe the problem was I emailed them, it wasn't a complaint as such I was just asking at how to proceed.

#6 AudreyFischer

AudreyFischer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hi Paz,

First, THANK YOU for being willing to take an active role to reduce light pollution.
I recommend that you contact Friedel Pas from Belgium, a past IDA board member and true crusader for light pollution reduction. Re: the streetlight, if it is trespassing onto your property (rented or owned-- it makes no difference) you have every right to issue a complaint and request for a light shield. Yes! it IS worth the hassle. The sooner more people complain, the sooner light trespass will end. (You may have to offer to pay for the shield.) Contact the utility company, the alderman, environmental health. Tell them about the AMA declaration of June2012 that light pollution is harmful to human health and safety. Tell them about the Harald Stark research that shows light pollution contributes to air pollution and affects the very air we breathe. If at all possible, MAKE THIS A LOCAL NEWS STORY. I am happy to work with you. Friedel is a superb advocate in your country... and i am certain he would like to meet, coach and welcome you aboard as an activist. Cheers+stars, Audrey

#7 astropaz

astropaz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the information. I have found a contact email for Friedel Pas and will try and contact him for some advice.

What makes it a bit harder for me is I am not a native Belgian so I could do with a bit of coaching, I don't speak the language that this half of the country operates in either so sometimes it feels like I might be ignored or find it hard to understand process of things.

From what I have read the laws are very general and don't go into detail of the specifics.
I know it shouldn't matter but I'm concerned that they'll say things like "you have lived here for two years and not complained before" or "all your windows have roll down shutters so it's not a problem".
Poor excuses I know but nothing is ever as easy as it should be.

I'll contact Friedel and see what his advice would be.

Thanks again.
:)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics