• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Was looking for opinions on how any owners like the latest ETX 90`s.
How well constructed are they, and do they have plastic or metal gears.
Are they any good for any astrophotography ? and would any piggyback photography using say a 100mm lens to take 1 to 2 minute images be doable. ?

#2 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

I have not personally seen the new ETX-90s, but based on the 3 ETX scopes that I own I'd suspect that the spur and wheel gears are primarily Nylon and the worm gears are metal (steel?). The overall quality of the construction is fine for visual. However, the ETX line was never targeted at the imaging market which requires an order of magnitude greater degree of precision (and the cost that goes with it). I've actually done quite a bit of imaging with a little ETX-60, but it's an acquired taste. The ETX-90 would be much more difficult due to it's longer focal length. The mount is also not well suited for piggyback cameras because the clutches will struggle with the over-hung load.

For visual I give the ETX line two big thumbs up and at $399 the new ETX-90 looks like a good value. But for imaging... no, not unless you were interested in experimenting and pushing the edge of what you can do with simple equipment. The only exception would be for wide field imaging of the moon. I've done that with my DSX-90, which is a ETX-90 telescope on a DS-2000 mount. For that it works fairly well.

#3 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Thanks John, i was primarily interested in using it as a piggyback platform for fairly short shots, 1 to 2 minute range at max. Wasnt that interested in imaging through it.
I just dont want to spend $700-1000 on something like a Astrotrak or Vixen Polarie.
Looking for something portable and quick to set up that will allow 1-2 minute shots with a 100mm lens.

#4 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hmmm, all you really need is a small Gem with a motor drive. An EQ-1 would almost do it. I'd take a look at Orion's web site and see what they have. I've done quite a bit with my motorized EQ-1, but I usually use 30 second exposures with a 55mm lens. Even something just a bit better should work.

#5 stratocaster

stratocaster

Messenger

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Wow. I bought an ETX shortly after they first came out back around..when was it..1998 or so? I paid $599 for the OTA/mount. No Autostar. No tripod. $399 for the whole enchilada is pretty dang good - especially compared to what is probably close to $750 in 1998 dollars.

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I just saw the ad.... man I so hope its a good scope. For crying out already, the OTA deserves a competent mount. I truly hope this is a successful revamp. I just may buy one.

Pete

#7 curiosidad

curiosidad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hello,
I remember many years ago I observed for ETX 90 .. of the first to hit the market ..
The image of Saturn splendid fur ..
Best

#8 Hitech

Hitech

Ranger 4

• Loc: NW PA.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

supposedly the new ones come from Mexico and if it's anything like my truck, it will be something where the mfgr. cut corners for cost containment (read as profits). I've never known any decent optics to ever come out of Mexico... even if it's held to Meade specs. Those were likely cut back by Meade also. A good multicoating should be no less than 4-7 layers on quality glass. Given $400 sticker price, I tend to think it's goint to be on par or slightly better than those chincy DS series seen in the dept. stores and low end photo stores.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics