List of compact portable tracking mounts
Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:50 PM
a) quite a few of the mounts are from Japan/China/Taiwan/HK, if you click on the links in Chrome browser it should automatically translate it to English (or what ever else you need) - if not cut and past url to translation site.
b) Estimated base prices are from websites that I have found; take it as more of a ballpark figure.
c) iirc forum rules prevent posting pictures that do not belong to the poster (including mfg photos) - it would be nice if it were possible to include a quick snapshot of each mount imo.
So here goes:
1) Vixen Polarie US$430 - 4 track rates
2) Vixen GP2 Photo Guider US$1,100 - complete with wedge, tripod
3) Kenko Sky Memo US$800 - two versions, R and RS (adds 4 track rates)
4) AstroTrac US$580 - 3 track rates
5) Losmandy StarLapse US$700 - 9 track/pan rates
6) TOAST Pro US$1,100 - 2 track rates
7) unitec SWAT-200 US$1,000 - 6 track/pan rates
8) Sightron nano-tracker US$250 - 5 track/pan rates
9) MusicBox EQII US$250 - mechanical wind-up tracker!
10) eyeball CD-1 US$435
11) Pentax O-GPS1 (technically not a mount, but it tracks! ) US$200 - useable on some Pentax DSLR
12) PanHeadEQ US$550 - 6 track/pan rates
13) Takahashi Teegul Sky Patrol III US$1,300
14) Takahashi PM-1 US$3,200 - 5 or 7 track/pan rates, multi-configuration GEM, 2nd version PM-1XY
15) Orion Min-EQ Tabletop EQ manual drive US$70, drive motor +$80
16) iOptron SmartEQ GOTO GEM US$399, complete with tripod, US$60 polar scope optional
17) iOptron SmartEQ Pro US$499 - metal gears ,polar scope, guide port
Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:37 AM
... and maybe the list should be in 2 approximate categories - on one end there's GEM type mounts like the StarLapse (9lb head alone) and SmartEQ , and on the other are the really compact trackers like the Polarie ...
Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:45 AM
Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:48 AM
Thanks for posting ...
Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:05 AM
Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:48 PM
Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:46 AM
Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:39 AM
18) iOptron SkyTracker US$349 - built-in 'wedge', 2 rates, $50 polar scope option
Might have to revise the MSRP listing for the Japanese mounts in the initial post, since the Yen/USD has shifted quite a bit in the last 3 months.
hmm, wondering if the SLT be included - not a dedicated tracker, may require some add-ons for polar alignment, but at around $100 used imo it's mighty tempting; even has goto! (fwiw I do have a SLT but haven't considered using it in EQ mode)
... oh and one more thing, pic of prototype/to-be-released mount from Sightron, even smaller than the nano-tracker, battery and controls on the unit itself (rather than a separate hand box for power and controls).