• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#26 ylin

ylin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Irvine, CA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I am also skipping the Lx-80 mount. I was thinking about TEK or AP mount but decided they are too expensive for me at this moment.

Now I am betting on this mount...

#27 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

The site:
http://www.astroshop...her-azeq6gt.asp
has a detailed review and nice mount pictures. Still the Synscan style microstepping drive (now 720:1 mechanical reduction, including 4:1 belt-drive).

The encoder feedback is rather coarse: 6356 count (or 25424 ticks)/360 degrees (which is approx. 3.4 arc-min resolution) for push to. Note: 6356 = 2x2x7x227 so most likely the encoder is a Renishaw magnetic tape based.

P.S. I do worry about the Alt-Az mode sidereal tracking, since it's microstepping based, unlike DC perm-mag servo design. It is not easy to do smooth and gap-less speed incremental changes, (see my timing loop analysis on the regular EQ6 in CN's ATM subforum here), unless it now uses NCO as its timing source.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#28 TMSP

TMSP

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I see Orion has now posted their version of this. I see that the GPS is not included, nor the camera control and the IN conncection for the power has a different configuration, plus it priced +$100.

Are there other difference that are normally built into the Orion v. Skywatcher version? Folks say they are the same, but are there other differences that are other typically used to diffentiate the product? Thanks,

#29 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

It looks like it's going to be a great mount. The belt drive should be a big improvement with respect to DEC guiding. I wish Orion had kept the SW power-in connector which looks sturdier. That however can easily be upgraded by the owner after the warranty has expired.

Andy

#30 TMSP

TMSP

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Orion is coming, Orion is coming - Yes, they have announced their version for 1/13 shipment and a different feature set e.g. no GPS +$100.

Is there much difference in the handbox program between OR and SW versions that really make a difference?

I bailed on the LX80 after I saw this and looking forward to first revolution reports.

Seems to me, a SW from Canada at -100, +GPS might be the way to go, but does the Handbox features tip it the other way?

#31 martl

martl

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Innsbruck/Austria

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I got my mount today and set it up indoors. So far it looks rather promising, in my version an illuminated polarscope is included (although it is still the rather crude reticle familiar to CGEM users), the slip clutches work well and also the elevation adjustment seems to be executed well. Contrary to what I've glimpsed in one of the threads the 12V jack can't be aditionally fastened with a screw (would have been a clever idea). Stability seems ok with my 17KG 10"f5 Newton, the mount is more stable than a first look would suggest despite it is rather lightweight. I can hardly wait for outdoor tests if weather permits.

CS
MArtin

Attached Files

#32 andysea

andysea

Apollo

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Congrats Martin! That looks great. Keep up posted with your impressions.

Andy

#33 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

So does yours have the standard 2.1mm jack ?

I was curious as go what the two pin screw down connector was seen on some of these, cant find it in any electro catalogues but it looks nicer, more secure and safe. Would like one as a retro fit.

It does look a nice moun though....congrats.

#34 andysea

andysea

Apollo

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

So does yours have the standard 2.1mm jack ?

I was curious as go what the two pin screw down connector was seen on some of these, cant find it in any electro catalogues but it looks nicer, more secure and safe. Would like one as a retro fit.

It does look a nice moun though....congrats.

My Mach1 has a screw-down power connector so I know that they exist. I can take a picture and post it perhaps that will help finding a similar product online.

Andy

#35 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

Sorry andy, that was meant for mari. I can get a screw down power with a 2.1 mm jack but the problem with the ones I can aource is they stick out too far at the back end. The new two pin thing which seems to appear on some of the new EQ6 Alt Az mounts looks nicer and, I am hoping, may have a lower profile back end.

I cant believe its unique but I just cant find a connector like it. It may be some weird Japanese/far East connector like some of the Vixens which use a Marushin connector thats near impossible ro source in the uk unless you want to buy 100 of them.

#36 martl

martl

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

There is some sort of thumb screw on the connector, but seemingly only for preventing it frob being insertet too far. I know that devices with additional thumbscrews for fastening do exist, but they are rare. Hopefully I can do some tests tonite.

CS
MArtin

#37 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

It would have been better as a replacement for the Atlas EQ-G at the $1500 price level. I'm not sure that you get enough extra capacity over the Atlas to justify the +$700 cost of the new mount over the still-available Atlas or a CGEM. Also, they could have given it the CGEM DX treatment (slapping the new head on a heftier tripod) and created more of a capacity delta between it and the Atlas. I wonder what they were thinking? :question:

Regards,

Jim

#38 martl

martl

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I hooked up the autoguider and the guiding works so far very smooth, about 1/2 of my old homemade mount. Goto was a little off, buth this is more due to the user (first time ever I work with a goto mount). I am really curious how this will turn out at the end of the imaging session.

CS
Martin

#39 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hello Martin, congratulations on the new mount!!
Please keep the info coming,specially if you do guided photography as i understand.
I bet many of us here are very interested on user feedback regarding this mount! :)

PS: At least i am :) mostly for photographic use.
Congrats again reall nice looking!

#40 martl

martl

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Bingo! 20 out of 20x4min turned out to be perfectly round :jump: 100% crop with 200/900mm Newton, guided with OAG and MGEN. Very happy indeed so far!!

CS
Martin

Attached Files

#41 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

nice job!!! Thnx for posting this picture!

#42 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Cool!

#43 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Wow that AZEQ6 is a really awesome looking mount. Especially the belt drive. I wish my new CGEM DX had that. The LX80 I recently dumped isn't even in the same class. This thing looks like some kind of cool weapon in that picture of it in duel scope mode. But I would have to agree with Jim about the tripod. I think a CGEM DX tripod under the AZEQ6 would have completed this mount for me. That's alot of mount swinging around when loaded down with two OTA's in duel scope mode.

It's even got a 5 year warranty.

I definitely like it alot. I wonder if I could adapt it to my DX tripod. That might increase the capacity.

neilson

#44 TMSP

TMSP

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Looks like the beagle has landed in England. Another board has a dealer reporting delivery in the last days and a manual is posted. Couple of "-": If I read it right, in AltAz dual mode there is no way to align two scopes in Azimuth. The manual leaves it to the operator to figure out. Not good if the FOV for 2 scopes is different and the operator can't figure it out! Also, to acheive balance in AltAz (this seems a more inherent issue with the design), you have to move the mount head so the "polar axis" is tilted, balance, then mark and remove everything to set back to AltAz. Scope on, Scope off, Scope on. Seems a hassle, but I guess you can "calculate" this, or do a pre-marked set-up. Any thoughts?

#45 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

The 2 issues you pointes out are problems with the LX80 also. I would have expected the AZ EQ6 to have solved the azimuth adjustment considering its price.

#46 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Those motors look like their nice and big, no wonder the amp draw is more. Now that looks like a mount that can move my ota with ease even if it's out of balance.
I'm really starting to like this mount. But someone else is going to have to do all the testing on this one before I buy another new design.

neilson

#47 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Well said Neilson. Would like go see real performance before I jump ship on the lx80 also. I wanted a platform that I could get into ap. I think the lx80 is good for visual but not ap. Wonder if the dealer will credit my lx80 for this?

#48 andysea

andysea

Apollo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

It doesn't seem fair to compare the LX80 to this new Atlas. Given the huge price difference I would expect the Atlas to be better.
Quite frankly I would be very skeptical of any mount around 1k that was advertised as astrophotography capable. Unless it was a tracker for DSLR and lenses.

Andy

#49 neilson

neilson

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

My dealer (OPT) did, and so did several others and they mentioned it on cloudy nights. Just explain to them that you expected it to work for imaging and/or that its not handling the weight of your ota despite its 40lb rating. My vendor and others also paid for return shipping. They emailed a return UPS label. I was credited the full amount I paid, and it was applied towards my purchase of a CGEM DX. Your vendor might not but I cant see why not.

Andy,
The LXD75 and the CG5 cost alot less than $1,000 and they are both good AP platforms. I do agree the LX80 and the AZEQ6 are not in the same price class and I would expect the AZEQ6 to perform better. Meade gave their mount its rating of 40lb in polar, so I would expect it to perform well in AP with an ota weighing 20lbs.

neilson

#50 johnpd

johnpd

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

As I had posted in another thread here, here is a link to the manual:

AZ EQ6 Instruction Manual

You read it correctly regarding no Az adjustment to align two scopes.

JohnD

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics