Jupiter, Europa and shadow, October 25

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Once again, conditions were good but not great. The seeing was better early. By 5am, conditions here had deteriorated considerably but around midnight to 3am, it was outstanding. Unfortunately, I didn't get out until about 2:30.

This is an RGB at around 0845 UT, with Europa just entering the limb. I have a few more decent sets but this will be among the best.

If you saw my last post, I have been debating the merits of Topaz denoise. I like what it does in the middle of the planet a lot but it smears the limbs and I can't find a setting that changes that. Short of that, I applied Topaz but very lightly.

Attached Files

#2 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

That was some good seeing there Paul! Glad you got out of bed for this one.

If I might suggest something - the image would be improved by moving the green layer down about 1.5 pixels. This improves planetary details considerably. Alignment is always difficult with a moon and shadow present. Sometimes the best course is to process them individually, before merging.

Glenn

#3 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Now thats an awesome shot Paul! Too bad i missed out on this one due to a lack of sleep :(

#4 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Very good shadow transit Paul; yes I would echo Glenn's suggestion of processing the moon separate from the planet, it makes alignment of the planetary channels easier.

Pete

#5 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks all. I'm stumped as to how to adjust the channels, Glenn. Maybe it's just lack of sleep but I can't figure it out.

I do process each monochrome channel first and then align in WinJupos. Can the channels be re-separated after that? If so, how?

I tried an RGB combine in AstraImage but it didn't improve, and made a little worse, the image. I'll keep playing because I do think you're right - the limb is a little green.

And I should process Europa separately.

#6 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Ya'know what's funny o'er here in the Raleigh area seeing was KILLER, say 4.5/5 from 5:30EDT AM onwards till dawn! Perhaps if you're nice, I'll post a sneak peek. I missed the shadow, but it was my 4th day in a row....zzz, I'm with Mitch on that!

Mike

#7 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty well wiped out. Look forward to the images that come from you stealing my air.

#8 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Paul - first get some rest. :)

Forget about the moon for now, what follows is how to improve the planet.

I don't normally use AstraImage but here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about. I took your post, converted to mono fits files and then called them in on RGB combine in AstraImage. When green Offset Y was set to 1.5 the image improves considerably.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Attached Files

#9 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Right, but how do you get the FITs with separate color channels. I think I could do it if I could figure that out.

I had a student not show up for a meeting so I spent the time waiting playing with the controls in Registax. I color aligned the disk, then the moon, then the shadow and combined them. I do think it is improved, though I want to figure out how you separated the channels because I think the 1.5 is right. 1 isn't enough, 2 is too much.

Attached Files

#10 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Never mind, Glenn, I found it. I decided just to see if I could save as a fit and found I could in R6. Lo and behold, it produces three fits, with each channel separated.

I made the adjustment you proposed and the result is here. Indeed, it is a marked improvement. I think both this and the one above are much better than the original post.

Thanks much for pointing it out. This being only the 4th RGB set I've processed, I simply assumed the compilation software took care of that alignment.

Attached Files

#11 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Beautiful!

I used MaximDL to separate out the 3 color layers (Split Tricolor). Don't know how to do that with AstraImage - I could not see a way. There surely is a way in PhotoShop - but I don't have that software. And the last time I used Gimp it demoted 16bit tiffs to 8bit so it was not much help. You have the original color channels so work with those?

Glenn

#12 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Here are two more good images. I have lots of IR - may try to put together an animation. As the morning wore on, I reduced to 6500mm FL - the LRGB here is at that FL and enlarged 125%.

The next one is an earlier Baader 685 image at 8200mm.

Attached Files

#13 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

The IR.

Attached Files

#14 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Oh wow Paul I really like the RGB you posted at 4:48PM (the next to the last one in the thread).

Pete

#15 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Very nice Paul.
Couple of suggestions... You could try to sharpen with LR Decon instead of wavelets. Sometimes that produces less of a ringing effect around high contrast areas like the moon shadow.
I've noticed with WinJupos that sometimes, even when the times are "correct" for the map files, the RGBs don't align. You could try tweaking the time for one channel before doing the RGB combine.
For RGB shifting in PS, just select the appropriate channel and use the move tool.
Sorry if I stated the obvious there. I'm a little shagged out. Was up early imaging this morning and it's catching up to me. Going to see what WinJUPOS does with a 5 min AVI!
Cheers

#16 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Suggestions always welcome, Tim (and others). I feel I got reasonably good at monochrome imaging mostly by taking shots, posting them here and having you all talk about them. Now that I'm doing RGB, my plan is the same.

I generally love WinJupos. But I wish you could specify the time better - it limits to one decimal place, so you can be off by as much as 3 seconds. Maybe not crucial, but still. My bigger problem, and it may just be me, is knowing when I have a good image measurement. On screen, it seems like the outline can move a lot before being obviously "off" whereas I'm pretty sure there is a single correct location.

I've turned gamma and contrast up and when possible use two points to align but I'm just never satisfied that I've nailed it.

I should play with AstraImage more. I don't yet have a good feel for settings in deconvolution but it is obviously much more gentle. I've attached here an image from a week or so ago of an Io transit. On the left is the original with the only sharpening tool being R6 wavelets and a run of Topaz denoise. On the right a re-process with astraimage decon first, then channel combination in WinJupos, channel alignment and very light wavelets in R6, then touchup of Io's shadow.

I think it's clear that using an initial deconvolution and only very light wavelets later is a better way to go.

(I meant to do this comparison on the images above but didn't notice until too late that I'd selected the wrong initial files.)

Attached Files

#17 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hey Paul.
I like the right side image much better. Did you use an IR image for an "L" channel?
I agree, these forums are a great way to learn and pick up tips. I don't use Astra Image proper, I have the PS plugin and I really like it. I can do all my processing except for stacking in one program now.
Looks like we've lost our good weather, at least for a few days. Now I'll have some time to catch up on sleep and work on the processing backlog.

#18 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

Yes, there is an IR as an L channel in both images.

And I agree that the right side is much better. With the down time we're about to have, I'll re-do the images from the 25th.

#19 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Oh, also, I still can't figure how to select a channel in PS. I can select a color range, but not just a channel entire.

I'm missing something really obvious, aren't I?

EDIT: Aw, geez. Figured it out. :o

#20 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm missing something really obvious, aren't I?
EDIT: Aw, geez. Figured it out.

:foreheadslap:

At least you got it figured!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics